Whats on your amp workbench?

Amp tinkerers and people who aren't afraid of 700 volts or so in here....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: Whats on your amp workbench?

Post by Cdog »

Awesome! 8)

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

PaulWD wrote:Just tried this out tonight. It's a 5e3 with robrobinette's mods, master vol, lead and normal channel. Its consideribly easier to overdrive compared to stock 5e3's. It's quite crunchy.

I need to get some more dial bulbs. I am using the old radio dial lights as an indicator.

The radio/pa would have originally done duty in a school or motel
IMG_20200214_192810.jpg
IMG_20200214_192923.jpg
I'm impressed with your ability to place all the components where you need them without using a board! And its still quiet? Very cool!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

PaulWD wrote:Just tried this out tonight. It's a 5e3 with robrobinette's mods, master vol, lead and normal channel. Its consideribly easier to overdrive compared to stock 5e3's. It's quite crunchy.

I need to get some more dial bulbs. I am using the old radio dial lights as an indicator.

The radio/pa would have originally done duty in a school or motel
IMG_20200214_192810.jpg
IMG_20200214_192923.jpg
I had the Robrobinettes MV and NFB mods done to my old 5E3 and always wanted to try the lead channel one too, be keen to here this one some time.

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by PaulWD »

I'm impressed with your ability to place all the components where you need them without using a board! And its still quiet? Very cool!
Yes, it's not too noisy. I got into the amp hobby after restoring vintage radios. Not a board in site with those.

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton

Post by PaulWD »

Reg18 wrote: I had the Robrobinettes MV and NFB mods done to my old 5E3 and always wanted to try the lead channel one too, be keen to here this one some time.
I'll bring this and a few others to the next CHCH gearfest.

PaulWD
Ashton
Ashton

Post by PaulWD »

Mike Clayton wrote:That's kind-of point to point wired with a couple of tag boards. Cool!
Cheers. My mentor was an old telecom engineer. He doesn't use group boards at all. One day I hope to get my layouts as refined as his. I am sure I could cut down the wire length. I would like to also try lacing at some point to get things neat.

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

PaulWD wrote:
Yes, it's not too noisy. I got into the amp hobby after restoring vintage radios. Not a board in site with those.
I've got a few old ones in non-working condition that I was going to play with, but not enough time means they are just gathering dust. Do you want them?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

My '64 Vibroverb chassis wiring is now complete. Kind-of aimed for the vintage Fender wiring style this time which looks a bit messier but at the same time more "correct"(?) Anyhow, will be dragging out the VARIAC and light-bulb current limiter for first time power up very soon...
Finished Chassis Topside#1.jpg
Finished Chassis Topside#1.jpg (178.76 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Finished Chassis Gutshot#1.jpg
Finished Chassis Gutshot#1.jpg (276.94 KiB) Viewed 4394 times
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Looking great Mike! :)

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Cdog wrote:Looking great Mike! :)
I've just finished the power up tests and have her running. I had a few issues - 1. Overlooked the wiring of the power tube negative BIAS supply (doh!) and 2. Had the bias supply diode reversed (thus providing positive bias!!), but I picked up and fixed both issues before the 6L6's were installed. 3. Had a "squeal" which turned out to be caused by the negative feedback acting as positive feedback - I swapped the OT wires over on pin 3 (plates) of the 2 x 6L6's - and that's fixed! 4. When vibrato is on I have audible tremolo tick/thump through the speaker which is at a constant level regardless of the volume pot settings - it's apparently quite common on AB763's. Lead dress adjustment didn't make any difference so I tried wrapping the tremolo control leads with a grounded wire, which has reduced it. But it's still audible (and annoys me) so I googled it - the solution apparently is to add a grounded .01uF cap across the roach. Will post the results when I've added the cap!

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Mike Clayton wrote:When vibrato is on I have audible tremolo tick/thump through the speaker which is at a constant level regardless of the volume pot settings - it's apparently quite common on AB763's. Lead dress adjustment didn't make any difference so I tried wrapping the tremolo control leads with a grounded wire, which has reduced it. But it's still audible (and annoys me) so I googled it - the solution apparently is to add a grounded .01uF cap across the roach. Will post the results when I've added the cap!
Let me know how that goes! My Vibrasonic has the same tick.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

Mike Clayton wrote:
Cdog wrote:Looking great Mike! :)
When vibrato is on I have audible tremolo tick/thump through the speaker which is at a constant level regardless of the volume pot settings - it's apparently quite common on AB763's. Lead dress adjustment didn't make any difference so I tried wrapping the tremolo control leads with a grounded wire, which has reduced it. But it's still audible (and annoys me) so I googled it - the solution apparently is to add a grounded .01uF cap across the roach. Will post the results when I've added the cap!
This was such a common issue for Fender back in the day that they issued a service bulletin on it:
_Fender Ticking Vibrato Ticking Service Bulletin.pdf
(70.67 KiB) Downloaded 134 times

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

That's the one, thanks. I prefer bias wiggle trem like on Princeton, do you know why they went to the optocoupler?

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

I put a cap across my roach too.... Used a 27n as that's what I had at the time. It smooths the waveform a little, but still sounds good.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Cdog wrote:I put a cap across my roach too.... Used a 27n as that's what I had at the time. It smooths the waveform a little, but still sounds good.
Interesting, that's twice+ the value of the recommended cap (.01 uF). It must be effecting the neon's pulsing waveform - did you see the tremolo waveform change on an oscilloscope?