NGD • 2018 Gibson LP Standard Historic Collection

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: NGD • 2018 Gibson LP Standard Historic Collection

Post by Mini Forklift »

GrantB wrote:Also, maybe try a different gauge of string...
I could but I shouldn’t need to, Glynn phoned me before he set it up and so he knew the exact gauges I wanted (.010-.046 so nothing out of the ordinary there)

Think I’ll give it a couple of weeks before I decide on whether or not to take it in to get looked at; I’ve been away for a few days and playing it this morning it seems to have ‘settled’ a bit, definitely not as pronounced as it was earlier in the week. Hoping it might just sort itself out, could have been the change in temperature and/or humidity going from Waiheke Island to Christchurch?

Thanks for all the comments, appreciated

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:........ going from Waiheke Island to Christchurch.............
Poor thing's probably just terrified.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:........ going from Waiheke Island to Christchurch.............
Massive laugh out loud, everyone around me thinks I'm nuts! Hahaha
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

AiRdAd wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Massive laugh out loud, everyone around me thinks I'm nuts! Hahaha
I know, imagine slipping below 90% humidity!
Tin arse!!

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Sounds real nice! Nice playing brother.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

So it's fixed?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

slash-ed wrote:So it's fixed?
Still has a couple of annoying dead spots but it’s better than it was. Thought I’d leave it for a bit to see if it came right, will probably take it into Alan Farrow next week

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

MattH wrote:Sounds real nice! Nice playing brother.
Thanks Matt. The guitar sounds better than the playing!

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Faber USA have a 20% off sale on at the moment so have ordered a ABR-1 bridge in aged nickel. Interested to see if that makes any noticeable difference to the tone

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Faber USA have a 20% off sale on at the moment so have ordered a ABR-1 bridge in aged nickel. Interested to see if that makes any noticeable difference to the tone
My brief foray into Faber's range of locking parts was not terribly productive. I put a locking tailpiece on an R9 ( the one in opsguys icon ) and simultaneously replaced the bridge supports with long stainless steel parts which went right down into the mahogany slab. ( known at the tie as the mapleflame mod after a dude on the LP Forum who first implemented it ). The result sounded amazing acoustically, whole guitar resonated like crazy. Plugged in however the sound was on the clinical side with much of the character neutered. It's the imperfections of the original design that impart aspects of the desired tone unfortunately.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Dharmajester wrote:
My brief foray into Faber's range of locking parts was not terribly productive. I put a locking tailpiece on an R9 ( the one in opsguys icon ) and simultaneously replaced the bridge supports with long stainless steel parts which went right down into the mahogany slab. ( known at the tie as the mapleflame mod after a dude on the LP Forum who first implemented it ). The result sounded amazing acoustically, whole guitar resonated like crazy. Plugged in however the sound was on the clinical side with much of the character neutered. It's the imperfections of the original design that impart aspects of the desired tone unfortunately.
I think Grant did the mapleflame mod on his R9 but with nickel coated brass posts. I was tempted to try it on my R7 but decided it was too much effort when I'm already happy with the tone.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

I remember putting a brass block in a Stratocaster once upon a time. Certainly warmed the tone. Different metals do different things I guess.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

I put a stainless steel block on my RG550 and it seemed super bright afterwards to my ears.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Lyle wrote:
Dharmajester wrote:
I think Grant did the mapleflame mod on his R9 but with nickel coated brass posts. I was tempted to try it on my R7 but decided it was too much effort when I'm already happy with the tone.
Grant had the guitar in question off me prior to passing it on to Phil and I believe reinstated the brass bridge studs.
Don't do it to the R7, was also mine at one point and there's nothing to be improved upon there.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson