Any blues drummers/bassists in Chch keen to play?

Needing a bass player, guitarist, drummer? Advertise here...

Moderator: Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Any blues drummers/bassists in Chch keen to play?

Post by Mini Forklift »

Would quite like to get together with anyone that fits the bill. Was speaking to my Dad this morning and he again encouraged me to try to get myself out playing and maybe even the odd gig. Hmmm, not sure about that bit yet, but keen to sit in and do some playing with other like minded people.

Cheers

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: Any blues drummers/bassists in Chch keen to play?

Post by Terexgeek »

foal?
Tin arse!!

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Would quite like to get together with anyone that fits the bill. Was speaking to my Dad this morning and he again encouraged me to try to get myself out playing and maybe even the odd gig. Hmmm, not sure about that bit yet, but keen to sit in and do some playing with other like minded people.

Cheers
It is a lot of fun (from my vague memory of jamming out), good on ya!
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I am a noob who's been hankering to jam with people too. Confidence level... near zero. Would love to jam with others but can't help but feel I'd be a burden to the more experienced folks.

Not relevant to this thread since I'm not a drummer/bassist :roll:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Little story that I hope will help. A year ago, I got maneuvered into joining a band. None of them except the drummer had been playing for more than 18 months. They had limited skills but they were enthusiastic, really enjoyed themselves and were lovely guys so I stayed. (Also, I have no use for electric guitars unless I'm playing in a band)

We've done 2 gigs since New Year and have 5 more in the next 7 weeks. There's nothing about us that is particularly brilliant but we can make an audience boogie. And that honesty, isn't all that hard. All you need to do is sound like people expect and they respond. That in turn creates confidence and it all takes off from there. We have a weak link, but he's part of what makes the band fun so we compensate and the audience doesn't notice.

We have no musical "ambitions". We're too old for that. Not saying there's anything wrong with ambition, but it has ruined the pleasure of several musical associations I've had over the years.

Playing with others is life enhancing. Some people are on the fast track to stardom but most of us aren't. And we're allowed to have fun too. So don't worry about what you can't do; a band will teach you more in a month than noodling at home will in 2 years.

Many of you will recognise this: The band brings along a bunch of song suggestions. You slog through a couple of them and they sound like you expect (because you're a crap player, right?) Then you hit one and it rocks. It just works and you realise you're not entirely crap after all. Keep going and before long, you've found 25 of them and actually, you're not crap at all.
Putting yourself out there is scary. This is a good sign; everything worth doing in life is scary (trust me, I'm a Mountainbiker). Doing the scary shit is where the huge grins and great memories live.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Thanks Slowy, I really appreciate and value your your response. Your experiences and summarisation definitely make me want to pursue this and get together with a few people and see what comes of it.

Like codedog I'm pretty insecure about my playing, even on a day-to-day level I'm fairly introverted and like to keep to myself. Getting up onstage is something I have done but not something that I find easy to do; I enjoy it when I'm up there but there's always that self doubt in the back of mind that is saying I don't deserve to be playing with these people. Getting back to see my family and getting to play with my Dad's band was wholly nerve wracking but utterly worth it, to be playing with people that have my back and enjoyed hearing what I was churning out was calmly liberating

I think if I could get to the point where I was able to do that on a regular basis it really could be life changing for me. I'd like to have the confidence I know I should have - and if I'm honest I perceive myself to be an okay guitar player and probably someone that could do okay in a live setting if I had the right people alongside me

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

This was a quick video my daughter took recently. She came into our front room and said, "Daddy you sound like the guitar player that plays Alright Now"

For me that knocked me sideways because it dawned on me that she actually listens to the music I have playing at home and in my car. Anyhow, please reach out if there's anyone in Chch that's keen for a get-together, I know Molly and myself have talked about this in the past but drummers and bassists seem a little harder to come by. Thanks :)

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Performing live was the greatest feeling ever, so glad I had the opportunity, met so many great people, can't recommend it enough!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote: I know Molly and myself have talked about this in the past but drummers and bassists seem a little harder to come by. Thanks :)
Wait until you try to find ones that turn up on time and have learnt the material.. :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

If you can source a drum kit then i'd be happy to bash along in 4/4.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

If you book in at beatbox they have drum kits (and other gear) in all of their studios. Good wee spot.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Interested but my schedule is fucked
Between houses and I work 7 days a week (weather permitting)
Beat Box would suit me as I would only need to bring limited gear
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I have a colleague who used to play bass, and keen to start again. He's amp-less at the moment though... I'll sound him out, not sure if he's restricted into any particular genres...

MattK
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Post by MattK »

Hey, I'm one of codedogs colleagues and really keen to play bass with you! Started playing ages ago, but didn't play any bass in the last couple of years, as I didn't have a band to play with.
Hope to get in touch.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

MattK wrote:Hey, I'm one of codedogs colleagues and really keen to play bass with you! Started playing ages ago, but didn't play any bass in the last couple of years, as I didn't have a band to play with.
Hope to get in touch.
I have a hundred watt bass head for sale shortly but you'll need a speaker, will sell for cheaps.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.