Strat colour vote

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Colour

Capri O
46%
Oly White
35%
Black
4%
Trans white
15%

Total votes: 52

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: Strat colour vote

Post by kdawg2a »

I voted for oly white but that (let's be honest, it's pretty much fiesta red) capri orange looks really good.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

WellyBlues wrote:If Korina is so bad how come Reverend only use Korina? Genuinely interested, not stirring. And of course Gibson and others use it occasionally. I would have thought by the comments that it would be too difficult to use for a mass production line situation.
I would assume mass production and machining practices makes it easier to work with. And if you're willing to spray a bucket load of grain filler onto it then it works.... but there goes any tone wood argument, its all grain filled ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

WellyBlues wrote:If Korina is so bad how come Reverend only use Korina? Genuinely interested, not stirring. And of course Gibson and others use it occasionally. I would have thought by the comments that it would be too difficult to use for a mass production line situation.
I know it has a reputation for being difficult even for Gibson but to be fair, I’ve not had many issues. Splintering is a real risk if you have blunt tools. I just paid very close attention to what I was doing and the hard work was all done.

I guess too, those companies aren’t making their guitars in a garage mainly reserved for motorcycles and kids projects...meaning they’re set up for such things.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

kdawg2a wrote:I voted for oly white but that (let's be honest, it's pretty much fiesta red) capri orange looks really good.
Lol...the tinted clear is yet to happen.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

GrantB wrote:https://instagram.com/p/B8DfuVrHY3k/

Better pic
I'm standing by my passive/aggresive comment.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

kdawg2a wrote:I voted for oly white but that (let's be honest, it's pretty much fiesta red) capri orange looks really good.
Oh yeah, not Capri orange...mixed with white and a tint for Coral.

Question - any experience with shellac as a sealer? Found the grain fill had issues with it.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I've always used shellac, what grain filler did you use?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote:I've always used shellac, what grain filler did you use?
StewMac water based. Kinda didn’t stay in the pores. Like the shellac was silicone....had to sand it back a bit to get grip.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I generraly just use wood filler mixed with water, odd

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

GrantB wrote:
Oh yeah, not Capri orange...mixed with white and a tint for Coral.

Question - any experience with shellac as a sealer? Found the grain fill had issues with it.
For filling grain on mahogany I found a small mix of linseed oil and thinners (3/4 to 1/4) put onto the sandpaper (1000 grit or less) rubs the wood into a paste and then fills the grain. The bonus of this vs a bought grain filler is the colour will perfectly match. Not much of an issue if the paints going to be a solid colour but it does produce a glassy finish. Korina is a different beast, I haven't worked with it but i'd imagine it might work in a similar way. Being so fragile would mean you'd have to be pretty careful not to sand too deep!

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1294 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Never thought I'd feel this way about a strat. So turned on...
How am I going to tell my family I'm strat curious ?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

I've lied to my family ..."its for someone else..."

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Never thought I'd feel this way about a strat. So turned on...
How am I going to tell my family I'm strat curious ?
Busted.

(But I’m with you on this one)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Meh, strats are cool again...