NGD • 2018 Gibson LP Standard Historic Collection

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Re: NGD • 2018 Gibson LP Standard Historic Collection

Post by kdawg2a »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:Lovely guitar mate. Could we see a pickguard on pic?
Oh yeah, that's the stuff!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

That’s a great looking guitar. Without the pick guard.

Congrats!
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Awesome man, congrats.
Loving it so far

Mattress5
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 152 times
Been liked: 55 times

Post by Mattress5 »

I have slight sellers regret.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Mattress5 wrote:I have slight sellers regret.
I know that feeling.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Wanted to give a shout out to Ady from 'The Guitar Gallery' on Waiheke Island. Everything about this purchase was an absolute breeze, from him accepting my previous LP as a trade and then drip-feeding the money to him as it became available to me. Just before I put my last payment through I had a call from Glyn Evans, the R8 had been passed over to him and Ady had asked him to call me to see how I wanted it set up... nice touch.

Thanks also to 'Mattress' who was the previous owner, he was 100% correct in saying that I wouldn't be disappointed. The search has ended :-)

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

codedog wrote:Is it a hefty beast?
Nope, weighs in at 3.8kg

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Love that feeling when you get a killer good guitar, well done, I’m sure it will bring you many years of joy.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:The search has ended :-)

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

No.Highly frustrating and newly discovered 'dead spots'. Took it in for Alan Farrow to have a look at this morning as I thought there may have been a high fret or two... but nope. All are spot on and the relief in the neck is perfect.

However I'm going to take it back to him next week and leave it with him as there's something amiss. Bend a note around a certain area of the fretboard and it just dies, even hitting an A on the second string sounds like there's a towel over the strings. Let's just say I'm not so happy tonight

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:No.Highly frustrating and newly discovered 'dead spots'. Took it in for Alan Farrow to have a look at this morning as I thought there may have been a high fret or two... but nope. All are spot on and the relief in the neck is perfect.

However I'm going to take it back to him next week and leave it with him as there's something amiss. Bend a note around a certain area of the fretboard and it just dies, even hitting an A on the second string sounds like there's a towel over the strings. Let's just say I'm not so happy tonight
Windings on string coming loose ?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Nope, everything is as it should be. I’m hoping it might be the wood adjusting to a temperature/humidity change; if Alan can’t find anything wrong and this is just how this guitar is I’ll be gutted. I’m hoping for the best but have to admit I’m not feeling overly optimistic... it might become a case queen that never again sees the light of day

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:Nope, everything is as it should be. I’m hoping it might be the wood adjusting to a temperature/humidity change; if Alan can’t find anything wrong and this is just how this guitar is I’ll be gutted. I’m hoping for the best but have to admit I’m not feeling overly optimistic... it might become a case queen that never again sees the light of day
Bummer fella, I'm sure the cause will be found one way or the other, albeit frustrating I can appreciate on such a spendy gat. Positive thoughts your way thou!

Oh, I have a space in the closet for it also... just sayin... :thumbup:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Don't rule out a bad set of strings, even a new set can be duff.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I haven’t met a Les Paul that couldn’t be “fixed” yet. Nor have I played that has dead spots without frets, saddles, nut and strings being involved. It will be fine!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves