Fender Necks

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Fender Necks

Post by codedog »

I have bought 2 necks, no issues bringing in either of them.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1352 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

No issues now
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

What about tax? Did you have to pay your 15%?
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

MattH wrote:What about tax? Did you have to pay your 15%?
I did for the Warmoth, but not for the Mightymite one off Ebay.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

MattH wrote:Nice!

I have three Telecasters and one of them is an old 1978 one with the nicest sunburst body on it. It wasn't a great year for Fender, but this one has something really mellow about it (not very Telecaster-y). The neck itself is actually really nice - has a gentle flame, 40 years of aging and is really stable, but it's just too small for my fat paws. I've had it since I was about 20 and it has sentimental value. I keep debating selling it, but I was wondering about swapping out the neck for something that does it justice - I might get some life out of it yet!

I've got some ideas about what I want - nothing less than a 9.5" radius, 1-11/16" nut width, a nice fat chunky maple neck - V, boatface - anything like that will do the job. Not too worried about the fingerboard - I like both maple and rosewood.

How do you find the Pau Ferro?
I found the neck on a bolt on, had an impact on the natural voice of the guitar, especially if it's an old vintage neck free of any harshness in it's tone, hope the neck change doesn't change what you love about the guitar. As for fret work like leveling etc it's a great thing to learn to do yourself if you haven't already.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Post by MattH »

Voxshall wrote:

I have three Telecasters and one of them is an old 1978 one with the nicest sunburst body on it. It wasn't a great year for Fender, but this one has something really mellow about it (not very Telecaster-y). The neck itself is actually really nice - has a gentle flame, 40 years of aging and is really stable, but it's just too small for my fat paws. I've had it since I was about 20 and it has sentimental value. I keep debating selling it, but I was wondering about swapping out the neck for something that does it justice - I might get some life out of it yet!

I've got some ideas about what I want - nothing less than a 9.5" radius, 1-11/16" nut width, a nice fat chunky maple neck - V, boatface - anything like that will do the job. Not too worried about the fingerboard - I like both maple and rosewood.

I found the neck on a bolt on, had an impact on the natural voice of the guitar, especially if it's an old vintage neck free of any harshness in it's tone, hope the neck change doesn't change what you love about the guitar. As for fret work like leveling etc it's a great thing to learn to do yourself if you haven't already.
I wondered that. I’m fairly new to this Fender modding game, so it’ll be a learning curve. Maybe I need to swap out a few necks on the guitars I have to see how it all works.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 806 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

You know what ?...
I've had quite a few necks of different boutique makers etc. But for fender style guitars I just like...fender necks !
I think it's just force of habit but there is something about em. Having said that I don't have any specific fancy heck requirements and tend to go for a vintage fit and feel.
Also when. All is said and done (stain, finish, fret work) you are often spending close to what an after market American or custom shop neck might cost.
Anyhow happy neck shopping. It's a fucking rabit hole.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

MattH wrote:
Voxshall wrote:

I wondered that. I’m fairly new to this Fender modding game, so it’ll be a learning curve. Maybe I need to swap out a few necks on the guitars I have to see how it all works.
you can also try out anything of mine too :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

kdawg2a wrote:
codedog wrote:
GrantB wrote:Even Musikraft necks need final fret checking. Just like real Gibson’s do ex factory!

Allparts are nice for the money, Warmoth also. One needs to do full on levelling for those.

I just got a fat Strat neck from Allprts (Strat on a budget) and although the wood is noticeably not as nice as my usual Musikraft, it’s as good as any Fender factory neck.
If I read that right, sounds like all custom necks need fret leveling. Did you imply that you could get away without leveling better with Musikraft vs Warmoth/Allparts? Also, in your opinion, do you think those custom neck manufacturers should include leveled frets too?

I didn't do fret leveling on my Warmoth neck. I think kdawg didn't either.
Nope, none on any of the ones i've bought and they've all played smooth all the way up the neck.
I've bought 3 Warmoth necks and none of them needed any work done. They're pretty outstanding quality.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

as smooth as a gravy sandwich....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.