STUPID IS WHAT STUPID DOES… Intervention needed!!!!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: STUPID IS WHAT STUPID DOES… Intervention needed!!!!

Post by AiRdAd »

Mike Clayton wrote:Hey Danny, "It's like solid state when you really need some glass, too many clones and you still keep having GAS, like Alnico Golds when you really want a Blue, who'd have thought it figured!!" :mrgreen: :crazy:
hahaha! I get what you're saying - but I don't really have any gas for Strat's or Tele's any more. I've seen some really cheap Tele's and Strats come up on Trademe, and I haven't even flinched :-) There was a Fender USA Strat deluxe for $1,000, and I resisted that - so that's saying something... for me!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

KNNZ wrote:Sell all if not most of it and get yourself a few high end ones like a Xotic Strat, Suhr Classic Antique with roasted maple neck, keep the Grant JM, 1 super Strat, and that would be plenty, IMO you can have dozens of partscasters and it will not motivate you to caress/abuse/play it as much as a classy high end Strat/Tele/JM/etc

Unless of course you just wanna be a collector then you’re excelling in that :mrgreen:
That's a really good comment - as that's something I've considered. The one thing about me that everyone here knows, is that I am always super careful with the price I buy stuff for. As this is an indulgence for me, I always like to know that I can relativity quickly sell the stuff, and get my money back if the need arises. When I look at the high end guitars like the Suhr's and Xotic's etc, I don't think I can do that.

I did have a nice Suhr once, and really did like it, but it wasn't 'head and shoulders' better than what I've had, ande was quite a lot more expensive. Perhaps, I need to try some other high end ones and see how I go.

Another STUPID thing that I'm likely to do is buy an expensive Strat or Tele with the intention of selling my others, but I'll just end up keeping them all :-) Which would put me in an even sillier position :-)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Kloppsta wrote:Nice quiver :)

Didn’t i sell you my black Radian baritone tele? Cant see it in the pics
Yeap - Wanted to paint the body another colour, but it proved to be a bit of a mission. I was going to sell the body and keep the neck, but I ended up selling it as a complete :-(

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Slowy wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:
chur wrote:Liking that scalloped neck one, and the single bucket gat..
The neck is a Japanese fender one with a 'V' profile. The combination of the 'V' and the scalloping makes it really easy to get your hand around the neck. A couple of years ago, Slowy tried it and absolutely loved it - I though it was the beginning of a promising metal career for him, but alas, I was wrong.
True that; it was a real surprise to me how well I got on with it. But Metal? I have slow fingers.

You're not stupid by the way; you like tinkering and putting combinations together. Nothing wrong with that at all. :D

But are you brave enough to post a pic of the amp and pedal corner?
There might be some major updates in the amp department too :-)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

HappyEnding wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:If you gave me a choice between playing a guitar and working on one for the afternoon, I'd choose working on one.

It's totally out of hand eh!

What's worse is I'm hardly getting a chance to play one. I work 60-ish hours a week, do my sport 3/4 times a week, walk the dog every day, coach all my daughters sports teams, and do her other out of school activities. By the time I do that, I'm really tired. I literally don't even feel like picking up a guitar. So I'm literally hardly touching them now.
If tinkering and/or just-owning them - to no other detriment in your life - is giving you more joy than playing, and/or time to play, there's no need to feel guilt. Reframe your guitars as your 'art collection' until time permits them being instruments more often.
Thanks - I really do love putting them together , and love the end result. I used to have a storage space that I could keep the parts etc that I wasn't using, but that came to an end. As I'm a bit tighter for space, I think it's a good time to sort things a bit better :-)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

StratMatt wrote:I think you tried to get rid of some partscasters a year or two ago... And now you have many, many more :lol:
True that! I did end up getting rid of a lot of parts at that time, and also some necks and bodies that were't up to the standard of these ones. I also got rid of another bigger lot when Trademe last had their no fee's day late last year.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Molly wrote:Danny, I had no idea just how out of control you were. LOL.

You know I can help you thin this herd... ;-)
I've always let you know how many I've got, but it's not until you see them, do realise how out of control I've become! :-)

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

AiRdAd wrote:I did have a nice Suhr once, and really did like it, but it wasn't 'head and shoulders' better than what I've had, and was quite a lot more expensive. Perhaps, I need to try some other high end ones and see how I go.
I have come to the conclusion that spending a ton of money on these high end guitars is just a waste, yeah they are good guitars but they are rarely amazing and worth the money. Many other guitars are just as good once they have been tweaked. Its only every now and then you get a guitar that seems to have something special and often they are not expensive - just the planets were aligned when they put together and they have something that other don't. I have had some expensive guitars and non of them were "wow amazing".

My '83 LP Gold Top seemed to have something about it I loved and it was under $2000 when I bought it, I spent money making it better as the hardware had a hard life. The Radian Tele I had was a great guitar and my current Cabronita is really nice too - both cost me about a grand.

I'm keen on the blonde Radian Tele and the Radian Korina Jazzmaster with P90 pickups but I'm not spending on guitars at present :(
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Just out of interest, how chunky is the neck on that Korina Jazzmaster :rofl:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Just out of interest, how chunky is the neck on that Korina Jazzmaster :rofl:
The neck is on the chunkier side of things - definitely not slim :-) Probably getting towards the upper level of chunkiness for me

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Sheer valuewise those radians are immortal
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by AiRdAd »

Bang for buck, they are unbeatable eh

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Just out of interest, how chunky is the neck on that Korina Jazzmaster :rofl:
It's 25mm deep; from one end to the other. Big and incredibly comfortable for the larger gentleman.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Slowy wrote:
It's 25mm deep; from one end to the other. Big and incredibly comfortable for the larger gentleman.
Not sure how JB would comment on that, but I am sure he'll find a pearl...
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Slowy wrote:
Would be similar to my Cabronita then. If it’s still around in a couple of months time I may have some cash.