Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Re: Neural DSP Quad Cortex

Post by HackSaw »

Ah! Inputs... reading fail.

The website shows combo inputs, picture above must be a mock up or prototype or something.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

It looks great, and if it sounds good as well then that's another great entry to the market.

However is it just me that is bothered by the fact that a high end piece of kit like this should provide an IEC kettle lead socket for universal mains rather than some horrid off-board transformer, especially when it's 3A like this one is.

I kind of know why they do this, it saves space inside the unit and certainly reduces costs if they can use a generic laptop type adaptor. BUT I just want it all nice and neat.

Am I spouting shite, and is an offboard supply the best way to go for pro-gear. Do you always use a pedalboard anyway, so cable/adaptor management isn't an issue anyway?

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

sty wrote:It looks great, and if it sounds good as well then that's another great entry to the market.

However is it just me that is bothered by the fact that a high end piece of kit like this should provide an IEC kettle lead socket for universal mains rather than some horrid off-board transformer, especially when it's 3A like this one is.

I kind of know why they do this, it saves space inside the unit and certainly reduces costs if they can use a generic laptop type adaptor. BUT I just want it all nice and neat.

Am I spouting shite, and is an offboard supply the best way to go for pro-gear. Do you always use a pedalboard anyway, so cable/adaptor management isn't an issue anyway?
Am no expect but at a guess I would imagine the reasons for this are:
1) Heat - since units are made smaller and more compact it would make sense to move a source of heat out of the unit.
2) Easier to replace a failed transformer with a new one than have the unit sent in to a tech to have the transformer replaced.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Molly wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:
Reg18 wrote:It looks amazing on paper! But has anyone heard how well there amp models sound etc? Just because your old Holden has a big V8 doesn’t mean it handles well!
Or goes that fast! Check out power outputs of 70's production V8s versus 2010s 4s and 6s.
Which is also a good way of saying how important feel is. Just because by every technical and quantifiable measure a modern car might be better, it doesn't follow that you'd want to drive one.
Having driven a few old production Holden V8s I can assure you that I value stopping, handling and fuel economy, so I would much prefer a modern car over the older variety.
But then I'm from the generation that watched the Nissan Skyline winning at Bathurst and thought the technology was cool and a logical improvement over grandad's push-rod V8.
I also spent half my twenties and half my thirties repping over large sales areas, and I am married to someone who suffers horrible car sickness. I am less enthusiastic about road journeys than I used to be and I have very little patience for anything that doesn't start, stop, handle and feature decent lumbar support.
Of course mix in a decent safety rating to protect the kids and I just can't really be bothered. I can get excited to see old cars and like to look and talk about them, but drive/own/live with them? That's a nah from me.
Tin arse!!

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

vyfster wrote:
sty wrote:It looks great, and if it sounds good as well then that's another great entry to the market.

Am no expect but at a guess I would imagine the reasons for this are:
1) Heat - since units are made smaller and more compact it would make sense to move a source of heat out of the unit.
2) Easier to replace a failed transformer with a new one than have the unit sent in to a tech to have the transformer replaced.
Totally agree with that, but in general those are massive benefits for the manufacturer but not really for the consumer, except maybe for being able to source a new transformer pack from elsewhere - but that does assume you can diagnose it as being at fault and that you can get a replacement (which given the highish power rating of this unit 12V at 3A might not be simple).

I've worked on hardware/software design for standalone electronics in my dim and distant past, designing super hight end (>$20K cost) Voltmeters, Spectrum Analysers etc. and you're right that power supplies cause heat and interference issues etc. Which is why it's expensive to put them in the unit, or far more expensive than using an external power brick, hence why Microsoft did it with XBox 360 etc.

I'd still rather it was all internal on a solid expensive piece of kit like this. My G-System has it but that's built like a tank and weighs as much...