NAD

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

NAD

Post by Slowy »

After the tragic and fatal Wangs fire, I looked at many possibilities. The 5 watt passion had been lit and something had to be done.
I considered rebuilding the Wangs. Alternatively, Mike Clayton has a very tempting 5 Watt Princeton coming up. The problem is Mike, this started from the explosion of a $150 amp that I liked enough to put another $150 into. :roll: It started to get out of hand really quick!

I've long had GAS for a 6V6 amp (No idea at all; barely ever played one) Then this appeared:
VHT.PNG
VHT.PNG (943.1 KiB) Viewed 4177 times
Single 6V6, Volume and tone, built on a turret board and specifically designed by VHT to be easily modded.

And here's me with a shoebox full of vintage 6V6's

So what's a lad to do?

Well I ain't stupid,
I bought it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: NAD

Post by jeremyb »

They are really decent!! Congrats!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

Congrats. Was following that one on TM. Then i realised i dont have a cab to pair it with lol
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

I had one & had it modded to take a 6L6 with a switch to select back to 6V6.
The telecaster forum has a section with all of the mods for these.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I had the newer version for a while and it was really good!
Heaps of amp for the $$
I was watching this one too!

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Congrats! That was on my watchlist and planned to bid but I was in a meeting and unable to do so! Haha

goldtop0
Squier
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 112 times

Post by goldtop0 »

I've got a single 6V6 5w combo and it farts out(parasitic oscillation) when dimed..........is your VHT free of that or does it do the same.
Doin' that scrapyard thing.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

goldtop0 wrote:I've got a single 6V6 5w combo and it farts out(parasitic oscillation) when dimed..........is your VHT free of that or does it do the same.
Hasn't yet. Only spent an hour with it though.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Picked up on my way home. :thumbup:
Plugged in for a listen; it's been sitting a while. Played it for 10 minutes then looked inside. A completely black Chinese 6V6 and a Mesa ECC83.
Lucky dipped my valve boxes. The winners were a Telefunken ECC83 and an RCA Blackplate 6V6. Well why not?

Immediate improvement in clarity, definition and overdrive character. Chinese 6V6 hit the bottom of the rubbish bin.

First impressions: Low power mode is useless; tonal castration. Volume should be dimed unless boost is engaged. When boost is engaged, this is not a quiet little amp especially when running 2x12. I'm going to play with valve combinations over the next few weeks and see if anything stands out.

A small but not significant disappointment: The VHT is an excellent sounding, capable head. It's probably going to be a perfect pedal platform. But the Wangs had instant character; it had a voice of its own. It didn't need pedals and that's why I liked it so much.

But the VHT produces big differences from speakers and possibly will from valves as well. I can see lots of component swapping in my future. :D

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

If the VHT is made for modding, then you could get someone to examine your Wang and see what makes it tick...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Took the VHT to band practice tonight.
To say 6 sweaty watts is better than 30 choked down watts doesn't even begin to explain the huge grin. :D
I'm sold.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Mattallica wrote:If the VHT is made for modding, then you could get someone to examine your Wang and see what makes it tick...
Don't you mean what makes it go 'tick,tick,tick,boom!?!?!'
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Liking the VHT.
Went through my toob stash and returned to an RCA 6v6. It has more headroom than the others; not that it's saying much.

Preamp is now a Mullard Ecc83 which seems to have a fondness for Fender. Between the amp's tone, volume and boost and the guitar controls, there's several sweet spots to be found. OD pedals are going unused; just a Strymon reverb in front. It's at its best through a Celestion blue. The midrange hump gives it some attitude.

It's growing on me. We're going to be friends. :thumbup: