Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by Bg »

StratMatt wrote:
GrantB wrote:A new iPhone. I'm to old to change to android now. I did try my best. Note 10+, new, anyone?
Those Notes look cool in the shops, how much you after? I couldn't go back to iPhone now.
Yeah still loving my 4 year old nexus :) maybe time for an upgrade, but it just keeps working. I replaced all the major bits a year or so ago and its in brand new condition.

I'd probably have updated iPhone twice in that period!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Bg wrote:
StratMatt wrote:
GrantB wrote:A new iPhone. I'm to old to change to android now. I did try my best. Note 10+, new, anyone?
Those Notes look cool in the shops, how much you after? I couldn't go back to iPhone now.
Yeah still loving my 4 year old nexus :) maybe time for an upgrade, but it just keeps working. I replaced all the major bits a year or so ago and its in brand new condition.

Android (or Samsung's version of it at least): Here's 378 different ways of doing what you're trying to do, please pick which is easiest for you.

iOS: Here's the one way to do what you're trying to do and don't worry, it won't change. Ever.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Bg wrote:
StratMatt wrote:

Android (or Samsung's version of it at least): Here's 378 different ways of doing what you're trying to do, please pick which is easiest for you.

iOS: Here's the one way to do what you're trying to do and don't worry, it won't change. Ever.
exactly. weird how mac osx is the opposite - it has proper linux command line etc :) I find myself in there constantly, but iphones, meh....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Danger Mouse wrote:
Bg wrote:
StratMatt wrote:

iOS: Oh, you wanted to print a file from your phone? Yeah nah sorry bout that, you'll need an AirPrint enabled printer
Loving it so far

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

its more that without root access your completely at the mercy of ads, so many websites that are fine on laptop but absolute mess on devices, youtube for example

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Bg wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:
Bg wrote:

exactly. weird how mac osx is the opposite - it has proper linux command line etc :) I find myself in there constantly, but iphones, meh....
maybe not any more, catalina runs the whole system partition in a read only volume just like iOS, and there seriously blocking 3rd party extensions, its only a matter of time before the two systems are just one,

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

kwhelan wrote:
Bg wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:

maybe not any more, catalina runs the whole system partition in a read only volume just like iOS, and there seriously blocking 3rd party extensions, its only a matter of time before the two systems are just one,
Time to move back to Linux then :)

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote:
kwhelan wrote:
Bg wrote:
Time to move back to Linux then :)
At work we live on Windows machines. TBH I'm really enjoying using Windows Subsystem For Linux (WSL). I run Ubuntu LTS, it's working very nicely! Can't wait to get the new WSL 2.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Mike Clayton wrote:My Trinity TC15 amp kit (a 15W Voxish amp with both an EF86 & a 12AX7 channel) - http://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-tc15-kit/. I've wanted to scratch build such an amp for a while but individual parts are pretty-much unobtainable so this kit was the next best thing (expensive but excellent quality). It's been in the mail since 20th of August and is currently on the slow boat to Auckland as I couldn't justify the extreme freight cost for anything other than surface mail. I've also got GST to look forward to but I'm still having premature delayed gratification as I wait...
ooo... had my eye on that one too, looks like a great project! Quality kits, + Stephen is a top guy too... enjoy :)

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Cdog wrote:
Mike Clayton wrote:My Trinity TC15 amp kit (a 15W Voxish amp with both an EF86 & a 12AX7 channel) - http://www.trinityamps.com/product/trinity-tc15-kit/. I've wanted to scratch build such an amp for a while but individual parts are pretty-much unobtainable so this kit was the next best thing (expensive but excellent quality). It's been in the mail since 20th of August and is currently on the slow boat to Auckland as I couldn't justify the extreme freight cost for anything other than surface mail. I've also got GST to look forward to but I'm still having premature delayed gratification as I wait...
ooo... had my eye on that one too, looks like a great project! Quality kits, + Stephen is a top guy too... enjoy :)
Yep, my very first build was his Tweed Deluxe kit and I totally agree with your comments. They just cost an arm + a leg and the freight from Canada... OMG! Hence surface mail and a 2-3 month wait.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Which Trinity kit have you built?

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Local cab maker though :) shipping minimal!

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Bg wrote:Local cab maker though :) shipping minimal!
Just a short drive - Red Beach to Greenlane.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Mike Clayton wrote:
Bg wrote:Local cab maker though :) shipping minimal!
Just a short drive - Red Beach to Greenlane.
still cheaper than US shipping :P

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

TRUE TRUE TRUE TRUE