Stratocaster neck heel cracks: opinions and experiences

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Stratocaster neck heel cracks: opinions and experiences

Post by robthemac »

It seems like every second Strat on TradeMe has a crack somewhere around the neck heel. Unfortunately, sellers very rarely put up detailed photos, let alone take the neck off to see if the crack extends through to the body.

Logic tells me that a crack in the lacquer is something purely cosmetic and shouldn't impact on tone, tuning or structural stability. I would suspect the same of a small crack that extends into the wood of the body. Any crack would suggest to me that the instrument has had a bit of a hard life.

What experience do you guys have? Any other thoughts? Would you buy a Strat with an unspecified crack in the neck heel, if it was priced right?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Re: Stratocaster neck heel cracks: opinions and experiences

Post by Lyle »

Wouldn't worry me. I just had a quick check of my bolt on guitars and only 1 of the 5 doesn't have some sort of small finish crack around the heel.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Don’t think I have owned a Strat that didn’t have one. As long as it’s in the lacquer / paint and not something that could become an issue.

FWIW I’ve seen brand new Fender’s hanging on the wall with small cracks at the heel

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I'd love to say its 100% lacquer but the reality is its only 99.5%

If in doubt, don't buy.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I've never had a strat that didn't have a finish crack there. The wood will compress to a certain degree, modern finish does not.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Ive seen some people wrenching on the necks of guitars trying to use it as some sort of vibrato. Makes me shudder. Im sure its gota be bad for the pocket and maybe the cause of said cracks. That and over tightening the neck screws maybe.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

I have not seen many strats fall in half without enthusiastic encouragement, and if you've watched Live at El Mocambo you'll know they can tolerate quite a lot of enthuastic encouragement.
I might hassle an obnoxious inexperienced seller for a big discount if it came down to haggling, but only if they were an extreme example of Onanism.
Tin arse!!

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I`ve had one happen in real time due to tightening the neck screws after removing the neck.
I remember, when I was a lad, it was pretty uncool to have the neck taken off the guitar for fretwork or other such fiddling. at least that what the guy who used to fix my bass told me.
only my Ibanez has a neck/body join crack.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Thoughts on this one? Guitar is otherwise cheap and looks legit. Neck crack looks like it's a big one.

https://trademe.nz/marketplace/music-in ... 2342713811
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Hard to tell without checking it out - I'm inclined to say lacquer though.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

robthemac wrote:Thoughts on this one? Guitar is otherwise cheap and looks legit. Neck crack looks like it's a big one.

https://trademe.nz/marketplace/music-in ... 2342713811
Seems like another common lacquer crack, albeit a decent one. That kind of heel on a Strat can be a bit divisive though

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I don't think that's especially cheap with a gigbag. I sold a nicer example for less with a case, and I've seen others around the $1400 mark.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Timoes wrote:Ive seen some people wrenching on the necks of guitars trying to use it as some sort of vibrato. Makes me shudder. Im sure its gota be bad for the pocket and maybe the cause of said cracks. That and over tightening the neck screws maybe.
Haha. Neck vibrato is something I do all the time and all my guitars are set neck so it's possibly even worse :zomg:

diabolik
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 1 time

Post by diabolik »

I've recently had a guitar come back from a set-up with a fresh crack in the neck pocket finish. I pointed it out and the luthier said it's common on Fenders and if the neck is tight it's unavoidable. He said you either have the choice of a crack in the finish or not adjusting the truss--rod (the neck has to come off my Fender for that).

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Yeah I just bought a Strat with a big neck pocket crack, you've all reassured me!