A review, my afternoon with Jims (miniforklift)'s) Tokai Les Paul.

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Re: A review, my afternoon with Jims (miniforklift)'s) Tokai Les Paul.

Post by Starfire »

Bridge is round the wrong way though, innit? Not a major, but it's easier to adjust the intonation screws if they're pointing at the tailpiece.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

twangnsnarl wrote:Bridge is round the wrong way though, innit? Not a major, but it's easier to adjust the intonation screws if they're pointing at the tailpiece.
Good catch, looks like I put it back on the wrong way after the last string change

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
twangnsnarl wrote:Bridge is round the wrong way though, innit? Not a major, but it's easier to adjust the intonation screws if they're pointing at the tailpiece.
Good catch, looks like I put it back on the wrong way after the last string change
Older style ABR style bridges (like your one) normally have the screws facing the neck, Nashville bridges (like on modern Gibsons) are the ones that have screws facing the tailpiece.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Lyle wrote:Older style ABR style bridges (like your one) normally have the screws facing the neck, Nashville bridges (like on modern Gibsons) are the ones that have screws facing the tailpiece.
Really? I didn’t know that, thought the screws were meant to face the tailpiece regardless. Might just leave it as it is then seeing as the intonation is spot on

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I think the idea is to avoid the strings' break-angle being such that they actually rest on the screws themselves.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
That would have helped the intonation no end! ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Lyle wrote:Older style ABR style bridges (like your one) normally have the screws facing the neck, Nashville bridges (like on modern Gibsons) are the ones that have screws facing the tailpiece.
Came across that photo this morning, thought I'd post it here as it seems to support your statement. Do you know what the reasoning is for having the two common LP bridges facing different directions?

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Came across that photo this morning, thought I'd post it here as it seems to support your statement. Do you know what the reasoning is for having the two common LP bridges facing different directions?
Im not sure, possibly because the ABR has larger screws so needs to face the neck so they don't hit the strings. To confuse things further guitars with factory vibrato tail pieces have the ABR flipping around the other way.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Fascinating that about the bridge, I never knew.
You guys are killing me, playing guitars in the afternoon. I was in a rain water tank, bare foot and overalls rolled up hurling buckets of slop out to 10 feet below, splattered a bit as it hit.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

calling card wrote:Fascinating that about the bridge, I never knew.
You guys are killing me, playing guitars in the afternoon. I was in a rain water tank, bare foot and overalls rolled up hurling buckets of slop out to 10 feet below, splattered a bit as it hit.
I quite often think, “things could be worse.” Silver lining and all that. Think you just confirmed that!

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
calling card wrote:Fascinating that about the bridge, I never knew.
I quite often think, “things could be worse.” Silver lining and all that. Think you just confirmed that!
Yeah. There was no possum carcasses in his water tank.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I think "screws facing the pickup" is the "correct" placement. I checked out a ton of pics and this seems to be the factory way. Dunno if the range of saddle adjustment is altered by the placement but if it does and you can't intonate, then I can't see the harm in having the bridge the other way round.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe