Supro recommendations

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Supro recommendations

Post by Dharmajester »

Fancy a Supro. Initially impressed by the Coronado out of the original re release lineup. Now there are so many of them I don't know what to look at.
Saturn appeals as I'm a sucker for a 5u4 rectifier. Don't want variable power, do want reverb and trem.
Any suggestions???
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Re: Supro recommendations

Post by AiRdAd »

Grant has got one he loves. Also isn't the black magic one supposed to be good?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

There is a single ended 10" speaker version that comes with trem that I really rate.... Rockshop Auckland used to have one. No master Volume which is an issue for me, but otherwise the perfect Supro tone in a small package. The big 12" versions are freaking loud.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

The black Magic Rev/Trem head does look cool. Be nice with the 1 x15 cab. Freaking louder maybe :)
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

kdawg2a has the 1x15 35W thunderbolt, sounds freakin amazing!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

I've tried the old Dual tone, which I suppose is now the Black Magick, both being based off the Jimmy Page 1x12 mod? It was really really good. You could crank it right up and it never was too loud, just more awesome.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

jeremyb wrote:kdawg2a has the 1x15 35W thunderbolt, sounds freakin amazing!!
can totally agree,would hoon with enthusiasm

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Kris wrote:
jeremyb wrote:kdawg2a has the 1x15 35W thunderbolt, sounds freakin amazing!!
can totally agree,would hoon with enthusiasm
It's a great amp but it's 40 watts so it only really does LOUD!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

+1 on whatever GrantB’s one is. I’m not often blown away by new amps but that one is an absolute beast. Not much clean happening but if you want tube-frying rock’n’roll then I’d recommend at least trying one out if possible :thumbup:

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote:There is a single ended 10" speaker version that comes with trem that I really rate.... Rockshop Auckland used to have one. No master Volume which is an issue for me, but otherwise the perfect Supro tone in a small package. The big 12" versions are freaking loud.
Comet perchance? Which do you have yourself?
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Yes, the Comet. I loved that thing but I need more flexibility over the volume. I have the 1605R. It would be nicer if it had a 10" speaker. I'm working on that.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

GrantB wrote:Yes, the Comet. I loved that thing but I need more flexibility over the volume. I have the 1605R. It would be nicer if it had a 10" speaker. I'm working on that.
Ok I'll have to see if I can get one down here to try ( when they're back in stock again ).
I 'm a bit hesitant with low powered amps. Experience has repeatedly shown me that a big iron 100 watter even at whisper volumes just sounds so much fuller than a low watt amp so I always anticipate disappointment at the prospect of anything under 50 watts. Thankfully that nice Mr Fryette made the Power Station...
Hunter S. Thompson

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Go big then...Supro have good options in the higher power end of things. Although even the 50 watters don't have a lot of head room... they kinda compress and crunch early ish

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

There's a Supro review in the latest edition of Guitarist. I don't have it though. £6.25 and there really wasn't much of interest apart from a short Rory Gallagher style file.

I'm sure the Supro video will be on their YT channel though.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Dharmajester »

Might have curbed the urge with the JTm45 I've just picked up, not that they're the same animal but I can achieve a similar ballpark result. We'll see if Gas returns.
Hunter S. Thompson