Completed Tweed Deluxe for Laurie!

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Re: Completed Tweed Deluxe for Laurie!

Post by Timoes »

Are those green PIO caps the old USSR military spec jobbies ?
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Yep. 015uF.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Mike Clayton wrote:
Conway wrote:Looks like a twin brother to mine (speaker is the only thing different). I'm sure you'll enjoy it Laurie.
What speaker did you end up with?
Celestion Creamback Neo. Sounds great and makes the amp very light.

I also now have an 8 ohm Alnico Cream in my main 1x12 cab, need to try the Tweed through that. Which raises a question, you can no doubt answer Mike. The extension speaker jack doesn't turn off the internal speaker, does it? So it would be 2 speakers running in parallel and two 8 ohm speakers would make a 4 ohm load, correct? But the Tweed is designed to cope with this mismatch???
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

By the way Mike, if you want a Jensen C12N for another build, let me know - do you a good deal on it. :wink:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Conway wrote:
Mike Clayton wrote:
Conway wrote:Looks like a twin brother to mine (speaker is the only thing different). I'm sure you'll enjoy it Laurie.
What speaker did you end up with?
Celestion Creamback Neo. Sounds great and makes the amp very light.

I also now have an 8 ohm Alnico Cream in my main 1x12 cab, need to try the Tweed through that. Which raises a question, you can no doubt answer Mike. The extension speaker jack doesn't turn off the internal speaker, does it? So it would be 2 speakers running in parallel and two 8 ohm speakers would make a 4 ohm load, correct? But the Tweed is designed to cope with this mismatch???
Never tried that speaker - are they "British" voiced?

The extension speaker jack is just a parallel wired jack for a second speaker and doesn't turn the main speaker off. Your first (or a single) speaker must be plugged into the main speaker jack for things to work. Your 5E3 has an 8-ohm OT (as is standard on Fender 5E3s). So ideally you need a (total) 8 ohm speaker load for the best impedance matching (which means optimum power/tone transfer from OT to speaker with minimal heating & flyback voltage). So, a single 8-ohm speaker or 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel or 2 x 4 ohm speakers in series is ideal. The tweed is not designed to cope with a mismatch but there is much on the internet about what you can get away with on valve guitar amps! And if you are not running it at full power then the load on the OT is reduced, ergo the risk of buggering the OT. FWIW I avoid speaker impedance mismatches on valve amps. And you can get a multi impedance OT for the the 5E3 if you want or need it!

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Conway wrote:By the way Mike, if you want a Jensen C12N for another build, let me know - do you a good deal on it. :wink:
Cheers - will keep it in mind if someone is after a "Neil Young" 5E3!

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Mike Clayton wrote:Never tried that speaker - are they "British" voiced?

The extension speaker jack is just a parallel wired jack for a second speaker and doesn't turn the main speaker off. Your first (or a single) speaker must be plugged into the main speaker jack for things to work. Your 5E3 has an 8-ohm OT (as is standard on Fender 5E3s). So ideally you need a (total) 8 ohm speaker load for the best impedance matching (which means optimum power/tone transfer from OT to speaker with minimal heating & flyback voltage). So, a single 8-ohm speaker or 2 x 16 ohm speakers in parallel or 2 x 4 ohm speakers in series is ideal. The tweed is not designed to cope with a mismatch but there is much on the internet about what you can get away with on valve guitar amps! And if you are not running it at full power then the load on the OT is reduced, ergo the risk of buggering the OT. FWIW I avoid speaker impedance mismatches on valve amps. And you can get a multi impedance OT for the the 5E3 if you want or need it!
Yes, I guess the Creamback is British voiced but the tweediness still shines through. I think my ear is attuned to the school of Vox via Celestion Cream speakers because that's what I mainly play and like.

Re. the extension speaker - most of what I've read online says that, while two 16 ohm speakers in parallel would be the ideal, obviously you've got an internal 8 ohm speaker to start with and the 5E3 circuit was designed to allow for another 8 ohm extension speaker being plugged in. Haven't tried it yet but I probably will. Will also try plugging my Alnico Cream cab into the main speaker jack on its own.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Mike Clayton wrote:
Conway wrote:By the way Mike, if you want a Jensen C12N for another build, let me know - do you a good deal on it. :wink:
Cheers - will keep it in mind if someone is after a "Neil Young" 5E3!
That is for real. I just don't play much Neil Young.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

I see you've just posted a video of a tweed with Celestion blue on the trademe thread. Well, there you've got an absolutely classic Vox style speaker with the tweed.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Conway wrote:I see you've just posted a video of a tweed with Celestion blue on the trademe thread. Well, there you've got an absolutely classic Vox style speaker with the tweed.
It's all a matter of taste - no right or wrong!

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Bg wrote:Mine still haven't figured out the bell push by the security gate is not connected to anything :)
Excellent.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Mike Clayton wrote:
Conway wrote:I see you've just posted a video of a tweed with Celestion blue on the trademe thread. Well, there you've got an absolutely classic Vox style speaker with the tweed.
It's all a matter of taste - no right or wrong!
I use an Alnico Gold in a 1x12 Cab with my 5e3 and it sounds great to me, but I also favour more Chimey tones so take that with a grain of salt. I have a pair of small 6” speakers (Eminence ceramic and Weber Alnico) hiding in the head and that has a very boxy champ type vibe, which is also really cool! I’ve even used just the head at band practices with a drummer and it cuts through really really well!
Attachments
01698599-F07F-4090-9727-53197DECB771.jpeg
01698599-F07F-4090-9727-53197DECB771.jpeg (2.22 MiB) Viewed 2755 times
Last edited by Reg18 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Good idea! Have you compared Celestion Blue to Gold?

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

Mike Clayton wrote:Good idea! Have you compared Celestion Blue to Gold?
Not for my amp I haven’t. I did try an original 50s 5e3 which had been upgraded with a Blue and I thought it sounded really good.
Although my amp had a mod to reduce the bass a bit before I got it, so the original sounded like it had more bass than mine, not sure if that’s the speaker or circuit.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

I've got a Mesa Wideboy (dimensioned) 112 cab with an Eminence Legend 1258 which is great for the cleans. But I would love to try a Celestion Blue in that cab (or a Gold - the higher wattage handling appeals). Just weighing it all up!