Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Projectors... any suggestions?

Post by Vince »

Someone was telling me last night that I should have projections and that behind me when I play.

Makes sense, it's instrumental music, sometimes people even say it's "cinematic".

So that begs the question... what is a starting price for a projector that won't get washed out by other lights? I'm talking about a digital one, not an old school slide projector. Is there anything I should look out for?
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Re: Projectors... any suggestions?

Post by Kev77 »

I have an old OHP. Drizzle food colouring and goop
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

hard to say without seeing the lights but $500 will get you a little epson thats 3,300 lumens
controllable from iphone, usb stick play etc
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PROEPP ... -3LCD-3-Ch

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

el byrdo wrote:Get one of those projectors from school and put some coloured oil and water in a clear plate. Or get something proper for movies and shiz.
You've seen my house, there's not enough distance for a proper projector anyway.

I think the proper way to make an oil slide, though, is to have a drop of oil suspended between two plates in an old school slide-frame, Anyway, that's what i was told in 1984 or whenever it was. I've never tried it, but it sounds less high maintenance than lugging an antique around.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

You can get projectors these days that you can put really sorry distances from the screen and they have crazy lenses to project up and to the side, really cool, but pricey...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

So about $500 (new) for entry level, then?

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

yeah that would be fine in a classroom/house at say 3m width screen . entry level is a bit harsh epson are solid, you can pay 4-5 times the price for the same lumens but with networking or other features you don't need. some let you sit the projector off center to screen for example
you need small light portable, max lumens you can get and I'm guessing a short throw distance, it really depends on how big you want the projected image, there are online calculators that tell you screen size from distance from wall and all projectors have different lenses with focal lengths.
happy to help off channel if you want, let me know what size image you are after on wall and depth on stage you have to place the thing we can work back from there
I'm guessing your not wanting perfect readable clear text type high def resolutions either so some blurring of image is ok if your overextending the abilities of the projector a little

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

i have a couple of VGA projectors I would sell or trade if you're interested.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

mrmofo wrote:i have a couple of VGA projectors I would sell or trade if you're interested.
I got lost at "VGA"... I will google and catch up. :)

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

older type of connector, pre HDMI. you would need an older laptop. 15 pin, still a thing, kind of . plenty of lamp life left.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

I've got a few projectors from a lighting setup we used to do with one of my bands. I'll say now that it's very hard to get a projector that won't be washed out by stage or bar lights for any reasonable cost. I used to run 2 Viewsonic PJD5555W ones (mounted together for additional brightness, about 3.3K Lumens each if I recall) and one PJD5134 for some side textures. We were trying to do projection mapping though, which is a lot more difficult than onto a screen. Most of them don't have a lot of wiggle room in terms of projection angle, so have a think about where you'd be putting the projector, distances, angles, sizes etc.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Catapult and Trebuchet would be my go too.

If on a budget a Shanghai even a 30cm Wooden Ruler...
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

kwhelan wrote:hard to say without seeing the lights but $500 will get you a little epson thats 3,300 lumens
controllable from iphone, usb stick play etc
https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/PROEPP ... -3LCD-3-Ch
3000 lumens won't do much if there is stage lighting . . .

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

If you just want moving patterns then maybe a small laser projector would be best.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

anyway, if anyone wants the Toshiba I have, its small. office size, meeting room type thing, I think its 2000 lumans, would be fine for small gigs, its good, I know its history, lamp has plenty of life left. $150