The nightmare is over!! CITES to exempt musical instruments from rosewood ban

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

The nightmare is over!! CITES to exempt musical instruments from rosewood ban

Post by handsoffmatt »

Great news out of Geneva this morning:

https://www.npr.org/2019/08/27/75450968 ... ed-rosewoo
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Re: The nightmare is over!! CITES to exempt musical instruments from rosewood ban

Post by Terexgeek »

Good news indeed, here's hoping it's not bolloxed up by a large corporate chasing marginal savings out of it's supply chain (cough Gibson) and buying from a cheap source selling undocumented (or worse) timber. Especially since all the other brands based in the US have worked hard to source ethical timber.
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: The nightmare is over!! CITES to exempt musical instruments from rosewood ban

Post by Bg »

Its common sense gone mad!!!!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

It's like all regulations though, a handful of scumbags fuck it up for a majority...and the regulators are attacked if they do nothing and rosewood (for instance) disappears forever as a species, and when the regulators do try and cover multiple countries with one law to save the species they get attacked...
Wanna buy some cheap furniture?
Tin arse!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2255 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Terexgeek wrote:It's like all regulations though, a handful of scumbags fuck it up for a majority...and the regulators are attacked if they do nothing and rosewood (for instance) disappears forever as a species, and when the regulators do try and cover multiple countries with one law to save the species they get attacked...
Wanna buy some cheap furniture?
But it should be down to the manufacturers, not the general musician populace.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dylan
Gibson
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 25 times

Post by dylan »

I read that the underlying reason for the over regulation of rosewood was increased demand from Chinese furniture manufacturers.

Apparently in China rosewood furniture is a traditional status symbol, and with tens of millions of Chinese moving from poverty to the middle class there has been an immense increase in demand for rosewood furniture so that they can show off their new purchasing power.

Because they were dealing with China CITES assumed that any loopholes or softness of regulation would be ruthlessly exploited, so they deliberately made the rules as draconican and inflexible as possible. Not sure how factual this is, just something i read on TGP.

Its important to remember that this opening up of regulations only applies to assembled guitars, so while its now possible to buy and sell guitars using rosewood internationally, its still just as hard as before for manufacturers to legally source the raw rosewood to build the guitars with - so the manufacturers that changed from rosewood to pau ferro / cardboard / etc will not be immediately going back to rosewood.
:evil: Mids so haunting that demons took over my living room and now my guitar glows! :evil:

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

dylan wrote:Apparently in China rosewood furniture is a traditional status symbol, and with tens of millions of Chinese moving from poverty to the middle class there has been an immense increase in demand for rosewood furniture so that they can show off their new purchasing power.
I'd read that as well, so it was a quick hard move to stop it dead.
Its important to remember that this opening up of regulations only applies to assembled guitars, so while its now possible to buy and sell guitars using rosewood internationally, its still just as hard as before for manufacturers to legally source the raw rosewood to build the guitars with - so the manufacturers that changed from rosewood to pau ferro / cardboard / etc will not be immediately going back to rosewood.
I'd read that it included assembled guitars/musical instruments and finished musical instrument parts, so finished necks, bridges etc. would all be OK.

Yes the focus will be on manufacturers to source legally sound wood with all the required certificates before they can turn it into completed instruments or parts.

I don't think I have an issue with where it's got to now, seems to make a lot of sense, at least it now allows the movement of instruments around the world without fear of confiscation and destruction, although I'm not sure I'd want to be the first to travel with a vintage guitar or violin

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

The enforcement on instruments have been rather sporadic and seemed like it mostly affected shops/sellers who tried to follow the rules/not taking chances. NZ customs didn't give any fuck as far as I can tell.

Another funny thing is that I've seen plenty of supposedly "USA-only" Brazilian rosewood PRSi/Gibsons being brought over by parallel importers in other countries, despite BRW has been banned for export since the 90's...
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

I hope it will be effective immediately! Wife is travelling to the US of A on Sunday.

vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 71 times

Post by vyfster »

*sigh* I guess it's good news, but will only come into effect from November this year
Update: On Wednesday 08/28/19, the CITES convention in Geneva, Switzerland decided to exempt finished musical instruments, parts, and accessories from CITES restrictions on all rosewood species except Brazilian rosewood (whose protections predate the other rosewood species and remain in place).

According to NAMM, the exemption for musical instruments will take effect in late November 2019. Until that time, all restrictions remain. Check back soon for more details.
source: https://reverb.com/news/cites-restricti ... -to-an-end

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Terexgeek »

Moot point really though, the dollar is so shit right now.
Tin arse!!

Jellybelly
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by Jellybelly »

Terexgeek wrote:Moot point really though, the dollar is so shit right now.
Same exact thought on that count :(

Jim.h
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by Jim.h »

yay! this is awesome, it affected me all of 0 times... ever......

ya gotta laugh tho, the most i ever saw or read about CITES was on this forum. and it was members asking if we should be worried out it. Well... there we go.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Terexgeek wrote:Moot point really though, the dollar is so shit right now.
it's not going to get any better in the foreseeable future either
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

it had to be done thou, the chinese have been allowed to get away with all sorts of devaluing ,dumping and shonky financial deals for too long. long term its a good thing