Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: P-Bass comparison....

Post by Bg »

Back to it...
Shimmed the neck slightly on mine, bit too much gap at top of fretboard. Enjoying both at the moment :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

There are definite tonal differences but roundwound vs halfround, rosewood vs maple? Going to have to load up some recording gear and record something. I like the tone of both, but roundwounds always seem to have more snap on a p-bass, just I'm use to lovely smoothy flats now and the halfround are a good mix of both. By the time some of your skin and flesh is rubbed into them anyway ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

I've got rounds on the 71 P (rosewood board) and flats on the 77 P (maple board) which I may swap around in a couple of weeks.

The problem is that the rounds do sound so damn good on the 71. The flats give the 77 a lot of thump. (La Bella 0760M James Jamerson set). They are seriously heavy strings ( .052, .073, .095, .110) and the 77 neck is a tree trunk anyway.

Gotta have 2 P basses, one with flats, one with rounds Bg :-)
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

That's where my thoughts are going :)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:There are definite tonal differences but roundwound vs halfround, rosewood vs maple? Going to have to load up some recording gear and record something. I like the tone of both, but roundwounds always seem to have more snap on a p-bass, just I'm use to lovely smoothy flats now and the halfround are a good mix of both. By the time some of your skin and flesh is rubbed into them anyway ;)

I may be in the minority but IME round/half/flat

Is more critical than rosewood/maple

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:There are definite tonal differences but roundwound vs halfround, rosewood vs maple? Going to have to load up some recording gear and record something. I like the tone of both, but roundwounds always seem to have more snap on a p-bass, just I'm use to lovely smoothy flats now and the halfround are a good mix of both. By the time some of your skin and flesh is rubbed into them anyway ;)
Totally Halfwounds take a while to settle
They are not particularly popular
But I would of had one or more basses strung with them for the last 25 years

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

I'm probably in the minority but I liked the half rounds after an hour or so. Maybe my skin is just so flaky that it filled the ridges quickly. They just felt so sticky to begin with, but now they feel like flats but with extra spank.

And the GC is Dave Smallface- and I'm currently looking after his roadworn p-bass. it is bloody nice but I'm still thinking I can get very close with some fine tuning. He's going to have to come around and give an honest evaluation of this, as I'm probably too invested into it now ;)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Now where did I leave that sandpaper....

smallface
PRS
PRS

Post by smallface »

I have a set of halfwounds on a fretless Fender Precision (which it being a fretless therefore makes it a Fender Inprecision). The strings still need to bed in for a while, but I find that it's taking me a lot longer to get used to them. The fingerboard is rosewood so I'm not sure I want rounds on that one.
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:I'm probably in the minority but I liked the half rounds after an hour or so. Maybe my skin is just so flaky that it filled the ridges quickly. They just felt so sticky to begin with, but now they feel like flats but with extra spank.

And the GC is Dave Smallface- and I'm currently looking after his roadworn p-bass. it is bloody nice but I'm still thinking I can get very close with some fine tuning. He's going to have to come around and give an honest evaluation of this, as I'm probably too invested into it now ;)

Chromes (Daddario Flats) are IME "sticky" at first.
I can't remember the Half new feel from new..

Nice sharing Dave.. :thumbup:

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

smallface wrote:I have a set of halfwounds on a fretless Fender Precision (which it being a fretless therefore makes it a Fender Inprecision). The strings still need to bed in for a while, but I find that it's taking me a lot longer to get used to them. The fingerboard is rosewood so I'm not sure I want rounds on that one.
Can you post a photo of this Bass please? Is this the one with the neck you got from TM ?

smallface
PRS
PRS

Post by smallface »

foal30 wrote:
smallface wrote:I have a set of halfwounds on a fretless Fender Precision (which it being a fretless therefore makes it a Fender Inprecision). The strings still need to bed in for a while, but I find that it's taking me a lot longer to get used to them. The fingerboard is rosewood so I'm not sure I want rounds on that one.
Can you post a photo of this Bass please? Is this the one with the neck you got from TM ?
It is indeed. Here's a piccy it's the one in the middle. The neck is a 74 The 2 fretted P basses are 71 (rosewood neck) & 77 (maple neck)
P Basses.jpg
P Basses.jpg (92.77 KiB) Viewed 5455 times
:-)

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

With a bit more tweaking (oh-err missus) I'm now at the stage where I think its as nice to play as the fender road worn, and the tone is definitely comparable - though this is through Helix. A real amp may show differences.

In fact, my nut is nicer as there are no sharp edges ;) Looking forward to a Dave shootout!

And I doubt it will compare to his 71, but you never know!