Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

TmcB
I may have a problem
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Re: Bass effects!

Post by TmcB »

foal30 wrote:Toany selling some pedals...
If something is going out what's coming in?
Well, I'm after an HX Stomp. For my needs at the moment it's a slam dunk.
I use in-ear monitors at church with a preamp into a impulse response loader that's using an Aguilar 810 so I'm already modelling my amps.
Don't have an audio interface at the moment and the Stomp can act as that.
Sound great with Bass.

Might see if I can sell some other stuff so I don't have to move those things on actually, I really rate the DP-3X and the Bass Octave.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

TmcB wrote:
I use in-ear monitors at church with a preamp into a impulse response loader that's using an Aguilar 810 so I'm already modelling my amps.
Sound great with Bass.

Might see if I can sell some other stuff so I don't have to move those things on actually, I really rate the DP-3X and the Bass Octave.
Righto. No issue with playing a 5'er into a digital set up?

I'm thinking about the Red Witch on TM... Do you know if you can run the Octaver seperatly or is it only with O/D on?
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

foal30 wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Sound great with Bass.

I play/gig on a bass in Drop B on a Helix either into an FRFR monitor at practice, or direct to PA for gigs. No issues here!!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Should I be using effects? Unless I'm going Hooky, I just use clean with compressor. This is the case through my Helix too, even though I have 5 kajillion effects to mess around with.
For a good clean bass tone, thats all I need right? I hate the internet, why should I be asking this?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Kev77
Mr Echo
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 283 times

Post by Kev77 »

Compressor and fat fingers, that all my bass effects.
Playing guitar is a different story
"Cash on the ballot, money to burn, Dealey Plaza, make a left-hand turn" Bob Dylan is a genius

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Bg wrote:Should I be using effects? Unless I'm going Hooky, I just use clean with compressor. This is the case through my Helix too, even though I have 5 kajillion effects to mess around with.
For a good clean bass tone, thats all I need right? I hate the internet, why should I be asking this?
Probably nobody 'needs' any effects

But...

It's better having the option(s)
I'm blaming Toany but I've now got a thing for Overdrives despite having a 300W Tube Amp

It used to be Envelope Filters :lol:
Before that Chorus...

I heartily endorse Flatwound strung Precision + Diamond Bass Comp + Valve Amp

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

sirvill wrote:
foal30 wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Sound great with Bass.

I play/gig on a bass in Drop B on a Helix either into an FRFR monitor at practice, or direct to PA for gigs. No issues here!!
I've never had a go on any of these new fangled modellers.
With my increasing decrepitude I'll need to investigate lightweight gear at some point.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

foal30 wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Sound great with Bass.

I'm thinking about the Red Witch on TM... Do you know if you can run the Octaver seperatly or is it only with O/D on?
No, 5er with digital won’t be a problem.

Red Witch - yeah, you can run the octaver separately but I was underwhelmed by the unit tbh.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Bg wrote:Should I be using effects? Unless I'm going Hooky, I just use clean with compressor. This is the case through my Helix too, even though I have 5 kajillion effects to mess around with.
No need. Tuner is the only truly necessary unit. A decent compressor comes right after that in usefulness but from there it really depends on your style. If you’re a metaller I think it’s becoming mandatory to have some form of Darkglass distortion on the board, and for rock a decent fuzz or overdrive goes a long way to give your bass tone a bit of harmonic life. Filter and modulation effects become more genre specific.

I have a tuner, compressor, octave, dirt, preamp, and IR loader on my board presently, and that’s mostly for IEM playing

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Up until about 6 months ago we were a 1 guitar 1 bass band, so I took a bit of the burden of harmonic interestingness. For that I needed all sorts of effects, but none were completely necessary.

What I do do with the helix is run a parallel chain - one has a low pass and just compression on it, the other has a high pass and all my effects on it. That way no matter what effect I apply I've always got a nice constant low frequency that isn't washed away.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

TmcB wrote:
foal30 wrote:
TmcB wrote:
Sound great with Bass.

Forgot

No, 5er with digital won’t be a problem.

Red Witch - yeah, you can run the octaver separately but I was underwhelmed by the unit tbh.
Forgot the end of Auction and missed out
Might have dodged a bullet??

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

TmcB wrote:
No need. Tuner is the only truly necessary unit. A decent compressor comes right after that in usefulness but from there it really depends on your style. If you’re a metaller I think it’s becoming mandatory to have some form of Darkglass distortion on the board, and for rock a decent fuzz or overdrive goes a long way to give your bass tone a bit of harmonic life. Filter and modulation effects become more genre specific.

I have a tuner, compressor, octave, dirt, preamp, and IR loader on my board presently, and that’s mostly for IEM playing
I have all that with the helix but I find myself just playing clean with a smidgeon of reverb dialled in. Compression on occasions. Don't feel to bad now then :D
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

My chain is Compressor-Overdrive-tuner, although I use the overdrive little. Active eq on the my bass is more important for shaping.
OMM OM MM OMM MM

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

bobiron wrote:My chain is Compressor-Overdrive-tuner, although I use the overdrive little. Active eq on the my bass is more important for shaping.

Have you tried Tuner-Overdrive-Compressor?

What type of drive and comp do you have?

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Drive is Marshall Guvnor and I blend this in with a Boss LS-2 to preserve the bottom end and get the dirt I need. Its not the best but does the job without messing up the bottom end tone. I don't use this that much tbh, I have a H&K QC-415 which also has a girt control also. One day when I grow up I do want bass fuzz.
Comp is a Aphex Punch factory. I add quite bit of drive on this pedal and have the volume up too. Probably not a real bass comp, but does the job.
As a general rule I like the tuner to be last to cut all to the amp(thats my logic anyway) and I don't know it to be the first pedal.
OMM OM MM OMM MM