Yeah or nah?

Lets all drool over your stuff :)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Would you be afraid to strip a good looking LP?

Yeah nah, leave it as it is
74%
Go for it!
26%

Total votes: 43

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Yeah or nah?

Post by Mini Forklift »

As some of you may know, I have been thinking of taking my Les Paul back to a 'natural' finish. Probably me being a huge Kossoff & Bloomfield fan was the impetus for me wanting an LP in the first place, but I've had lustings for something like Koss's LP for many years

GrantB has agreed to the task of stripping it back to basics, just curious to know what you would do?

Would you be afraid to lose a great looking burst? Should I enjoy and make the most of having a rather stunning looking LP and leave it as it is or just do it?

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: Yeah or nah?

Post by godgrinder »

Just make sure you'll be keeping it. Otherwise you're spending money to lose more in resale.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I would leave it as it is given I hate plain flamed maple...but it is your guitar and if you have longed for a koss then go for it
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

just play the fuckin' fucker!!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Buy a set of tinted glasses - cheaper than stripping.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Just leave it in the sun and under lights, it'll soon get there. Most of those washed out classic bursts were the result of natural use rather than a heat gun etc.( Mick Ronson and Mark Bolan's cutoms being the exceptions )
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I say leave it. You tend to turn-over guitars a bit (not as much as some :oops:) and you'll struggle to recoup your money if you decide to flick it on.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

godgrinder wrote:Just make sure you'll be keeping it. Otherwise you're spending money to lose more in resale.
I second this.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I think you should let Grant peel it. He won't get many chances to do something like that. :D

Since you're asking, I think you're nuts but it's your guitar and if it brings you happiness, go for it.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Get a vinyl sticker done with that finish and then you can peel it off when you want to sell it.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

I'd leave it
Flog it
Buy another
Ect ect
:mental:

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I think that finish looks killer. If i had a Les Paul that I LOVED everything about it, and was pretty confident that I'd like to keep it - I'd def consider it. IF it's a guitar that doesn't quite tick all of the boxes, I'd be less inclined to do it - as I know I'd still be looking for a better les paul to come along at some stage.
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Like most people have said, I would agree that stripping it will kill resale - I speak from experience. I picked up a Studio from a mate a few years back that had been stripped back to natural by him and his old man, and although they'd done a good job, they weren't able to move it for ages until I threw a cheeky offer in. I had it about 6 months and it took almost the same amount of time to shift on TM with most people querying the look.

I would leave it as is unless you're 100% going to keep this for 5-10+ years. As Molly mentioned, you turn over gear regularly so this could backfire on you in terms of resale if you don't love it for any reason.

#2cents
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

times have changed, I include my self in this. caught myself wanting to mod the shyte out of an old 80`s classic last night. then regained sensibility and backed off.
morning came: thought, bugger resale, I could make it a personalised weapon of rock...
but post internet, this stuff about resale is sinking in. priorities change, messages from the boards sink in. we evaluate and change to suit and fit in.
we begin to curate instead of create
we loose individuality

but, we keep resale
attention we stand, enamoured by brand

anyway: it`s a nah from me
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Thanks for all the replies, honestly a bit surprised at how slanted the poll is! Some excellent and valid points throughout this thread, all of which I’ll consider.

Will keep you posted