robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Re: What's on your work bench?

Post by robnobcorncob »

I have the Erlewine neck jig and use it regularly. I don't use it for fret removal or installation or slot/tang width sizing, I use it for fret levelling. Yes it is accurate and is definitely not the only way to do things to a high standard, but it makes life easier especially on things with non-adjustable truss rods.

I didn't buy the adjustable "Shop stand" that they market it with, I bought a welder stand on trademe for a pittance which looks identical but lacks the adjustment wheel which doesn't bother me. It was $500 cheaper than having the StewMac one sent here (not including G.S.T/Duty). The Vice that it comes with it decent, but the ratchet straps are rubbish (ratchet, even!) straight to Bunnings for an upgrade.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

robnobcorncob wrote:I have the Erlewine neck jig and use it regularly. I don't use it for fret removal or installation or slot/tang width sizing, I use it for fret levelling. Yes it is accurate and is definitely not the only way to do things to a high standard, but it makes life easier especially on things with non-adjustable truss rods.

I didn't buy the adjustable "Shop stand" that they market it with, I bought a welder stand on trademe for a pittance which looks identical but lacks the adjustment wheel which doesn't bother me. It was $500 cheaper than having the StewMac one sent here (not including G.S.T/Duty). The Vice that it comes with it decent, but the ratchet straps are rubbish (ratchet, even!) straight to Bunnings for an upgrade.
This is what I was looking for! Cheers Rob!

PS- for leveling work, if you straight edge a neck using a slotted rule, and find the neck dead on (with strings removed, truss backed off or not) do you still use the jig to improve stability?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

GrantB wrote: This is what I was looking for! Cheers Rob!

PS- for leveling work, if you straight edge a neck using a slotted rule, and find the neck dead on (with strings removed, truss backed off or not) do you still use the jig to improve stability?
I do, yes. I have used a vice in the past, along with a long neck rest etc. but for me I like having the guitar secured in the jig where it can't move around.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

looming redundancy
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Milk the fuck out of them
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Hang on ... :problem:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

robnobcorncob wrote:

I do, yes. I have used a vice in the past, along with a long neck rest etc. but for me I like having the guitar secured in the jig where it can't move around.
You would have been better off using a vise.

sorry couldn't help it...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Bg wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:

You would have been better off using a vise.

sorry couldn't help it...
Fuck no, working on a rock guitar? You NEED a vice baby, Jack coated electrics and coke dust over the finish FTW!
Tin arse!!

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

The man has a point

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

Once again my bench is cluttered as crap again..
bench.jpg
I thought the Peavey Triumph was good to go, all recapped, horrid looms removed and with mostly balanced power tubes. It all works ultimately, but the crunch/ultra channels are quite a bit lower in volume output compared to the clean. Can't for the life of me figure out why.

Any tube amp gurus in the house that could spare a few mins to cast an eye over my marked up schematic with measurements to see what the heck I'm missing?
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Cant help but there are some real good tube guys on the forum. Btw, is that a Philips scope you got there?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

jvpp wrote:Cant help but there are some real good tube guys on the forum. Btw, is that a Philips scope you got there?
Nah a Tektronix. It works o.k, but I have trouble reading 3's and 9's on the measurement values.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

GrantB wrote:if you straight edge a neck using a slotted rule
tried using one on my scalloped necks .... does not work at all on the ones I scallop myself :rofl: (assuming it would work on the Malmsteen though)
Last edited by willow13 on Fri May 03, 2019 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

robnobcorncob wrote:

So with your original set up was the concern that there was flex in the neck while levelling which the jig will take out? Leveling necks wothout a trussrod that are bowed would be a challenge!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Lostininverness wrote:
robnobcorncob wrote:

So with your original set up was the concern that there was flex in the neck while levelling which the jig will take out? Leveling necks wothout a trussrod that are bowed would be a challenge!
I think this is where the jog can be useful. I have in the past leveled a fingerboard (thick slab) to take out the permanent bow from non-trussed neck. This jig would be able to help do that - I just used clamps and tied the body down, like jvpp.

I think I'll end up getting the jig...once I've finished buying more gear I don't actually need.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves