Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Guitar Gallery

Post by Slowy »

Have no pretensions to being a photographer but came across these in my photo file tonight. I usually take a picture of my visitors and I like these 3:

Bender's beautiful Avalon. I liked this a lot
Avalon1a.JPG
BG's delightful Tricone gettin jiggy wiv nature.
Tricone2.JPG
Tricone1.JPG
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Guitar Gallery

Post by Molly »

Love the tricone. Wonder if he's sellin' it......

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:Love the tricone. Wonder if he's sellin' it......
Can't remember the brand; a guy in Auckland was distributing them. I played half a dozen over a year and they were by far the best affordable resonator instruments I've ever found. I know 3 1930's originals and while they are definitely better and absolutely ooze mojo, in practical terms they're not that much better.

As far as this one's concerned, pretty sure you're too late.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

It's such a shame that young Bendy has gone off the rails... Going from a beauty like that Avalon, and its goldtop brother, to those smelly old Gretsch things. Very sad.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Well when you're a player of Bender's caliber, you don't need to over-compensate with flashy finished guitars.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Danger Mouse wrote:Well when you're a player of Bender's caliber, you don't need to over-compensate with flashy finished guitars.
I have the right guitars for me then. :(
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Nope its staying ;) Its the same brand, republic, as the one you got from K1W1, only a lot less flashy obviously. Love/hate relationship with slide, but when I want to play this one does exactly whats written on the copper.... grungey slide ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

I think the Avalon is a very elegant design.

If we're talking about folders full of guitar pictures, I have over 2000 pictures of guitars saved. :crazy:

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

twangnsnarl wrote:
If we're talking about folders full of guitar pictures, I have over 2000 pictures of guitars saved. :crazy:
You can get arrested for sharing that kind of material, unless the models in question are all over 18 years old.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Bg wrote:
Nope its staying ;) Its the same brand, republic, as the one you got from K1W1, only a lot less flashy obviously. Love/hate relationship with slide, but when I want to play this one does exactly whats written on the copper.... grungey slide ;)
Yup Republic, I sold my brass nickel plated tricone to someone on here last year. Currently own a wood bodied Republic tricone which after a bit of reworking internally is great.

As BG says, you want gritty slide these are good value, I also have an Artiste single cone which is a real brash tin can and made in the same factory as the Republics.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

A non forum mate bought a Republic with a really small body; Martin 0 size. Of all the ones I played, that was my favourite. A wonderful fingerpicker; loud, sweet and when you dug in, clangy.

Is clangy even a word? :think:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:A non forum mate bought a Republic with a really small body; Martin 0 size. Of all the ones I played, that was my favourite. A wonderful fingerpicker; loud, sweet and when you dug in, clangy.

I much prefer clangy to the over used chimey :)
chimey... like one of those clocks in a dome, on your grammas mantlepiece.... chimey on the hour. nice.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Slowy wrote:
It's good enough for Izzard.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Frey wrote:I realize that avalon is almost definitely a great guitar, but aesthetically it doesn't quite do it for me. Something about guitars that are so close to the classic designs yet slightly different.
I prefer the Avalon shape and carve to a standard LP. It's definitely more refined and sexier looking. That being said, the bling was just way too much for me. I had a blonde one for a while that was made of chambered swamp ash. That was a stunningly great guitar to play and was really lively and resonant, but about as plain-Jane as you can get.

As much as it probably makes no sense to Conway (how can old and cheap possibly be as good as highly engineered, new and expensive?) I reckon my Gretsch Corvette is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever played (speaking unplugged here). It craps all over my others (and they're not exactly shit). It's loud, resonant, woody, and full of character. The pickup in it lets it down, but hopefully I'll be remedying that today...

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »