YouTube goodness

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8351
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Wire Wrapper
Has liked: 1237 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by sizzlingbadger »

StrummersOfThunder wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:57 pm Abbey road but Dutchmen anyone ?

Soooooo good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCG6faO ... RalphSmits
Seriously skilful musicians, I went to have a quick watch and ended up listening to the whole thing, couldn't stop :thumbup:
"Revolt Against the Solid State"

User avatar
sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8351
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:12 am
Location: Wire Wrapper
Has liked: 1237 times
Been liked: 1421 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by sizzlingbadger »

"Revolt Against the Solid State"

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 20835
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:08 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Has liked: 650 times
Been liked: 817 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by hamo »

When you're Jason Becker, your shred collab hits a little different...

Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8884
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 1130 times
Been liked: 1456 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by robthemac »

Reinforcing my belief that speaker, preamp and then power section are the most influential elements of an amp. Also reinforcing how good that 100W Jensen Blackbird sounds.

https://youtu.be/XV0HlT6Q8GM?si=d9yAa7VqNGO564_w
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 41946
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 7945 times
Been liked: 4272 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 am Reinforcing my belief that speaker, preamp and then power section are the most influential elements of an amp. Also reinforcing how good that 100W Jensen Blackbird sounds.

https://youtu.be/XV0HlT6Q8GM?si=d9yAa7VqNGO564_w
Which makes sense to me as a speaker has its own EQ curve (frequency response), a preamp has EQ control of varying degrees of complexity, power sections are usually just loudeners but to a much lesser extent can add a little flavour :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4981
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Aquila Rossa »

This is one of my favourite lead guitar tones of all time. It just freaking rips. Rory was badass.


Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4981
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:53 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 174 times
Been liked: 107 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Aquila Rossa »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:44 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 am Reinforcing my belief that speaker, preamp and then power section are the most influential elements of an amp. Also reinforcing how good that 100W Jensen Blackbird sounds.

https://youtu.be/XV0HlT6Q8GM?si=d9yAa7VqNGO564_w
Which makes sense to me as a speaker has its own EQ curve (frequency response), a preamp has EQ control of varying degrees of complexity, power sections are usually just loudeners but to a much lesser extent can add a little flavour :thumbup:


A power amp just makes it louder and can clip and compress, but how the output transformer and speaker interacts is important for how the amp sounds and behaves. Stuff like response time and damping etc. Guitar speakers do not just instantly stop when signal stops running to them. For a split second they keep moving. A transformer and speaker combination with higher damping stops producing sound sooner. It sounds tighter and more precise. Same with response and how quickly they respond to signal. Some designs respond faster. Not that we necessarily want either. Depends on the tone and feel you are after. Perfect hi-fi specs tend to suck for guitar.
Sag is another thing in the power amp. Can the power supply keep up with demand. If it can't your tone's price increases :P
Don't forget negative feedback. It can be used to cancel out stuff you do not want in the tone of the amp, or let stuff through, e.g., presence and depth etc.

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8884
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 1130 times
Been liked: 1456 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by robthemac »

Aquila Rossa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:49 am
jeremyb wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:44 am
robthemac wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:39 am Reinforcing my belief that speaker, preamp and then power section are the most influential elements of an amp. Also reinforcing how good that 100W Jensen Blackbird sounds.

https://youtu.be/XV0HlT6Q8GM?si=d9yAa7VqNGO564_w
Which makes sense to me as a speaker has its own EQ curve (frequency response), a preamp has EQ control of varying degrees of complexity, power sections are usually just loudeners but to a much lesser extent can add a little flavour :thumbup:


A power amp just makes it louder and can clip and compress, but how the output transformer and speaker interacts is important for how the amp sounds and behaves. Stuff like response time and damping etc. Guitar speakers do not just instantly stop when signal stops running to them. For a split second they keep moving. A transformer and speaker combination with higher damping stops producing sound sooner. It sounds tighter and more precise. Same with response and how quickly they respond to signal. Some designs respond faster. Not that we necessarily want either. Depends on the tone and feel you are after. Perfect hi-fi specs tend to suck for guitar.
Sag is another thing in the power amp. Can the power supply keep up with demand. If it can't your tone's price increases :P
Don't forget negative feedback. It can be used to cancel out stuff you do not want in the tone of the amp, or let stuff through, e.g., presence and depth etc.
Yep, agree that it makes a difference (as demonstrated in this video), just in most use cases less of a difference than preamp or speakers.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 25024
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 2504 times
Been liked: 2821 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Molly »

Black Crowes on Howard Stern playing Zep. Great cover.

https://youtu.be/5kNAVOVeQ_0?si=C7-Nq4SRaglKNCwV

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 41946
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 7945 times
Been liked: 4272 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by jeremyb »

Some cool footage here including Nile Rodgers playing Get Lucky on a plexiglas strat...

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 41946
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 7945 times
Been liked: 4272 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

User avatar
Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 23133
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 pm
Location: Orcland
Has liked: 1033 times
Been liked: 2525 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Slowy »



I'm encountering Scandinavian covers bands. Oh my goodness!

Then there's this which has what's probably my favourite outro solo of all time.

Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

User avatar
Litterick
Gibson
Posts: 809
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:19 pm
Has liked: 284 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Litterick »


User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 41946
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 7945 times
Been liked: 4272 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by jeremyb »

Litterick wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:12 pm
On my listening list today thank you! Only heard about them yesterday on the latest episode of Steven Wilson’s album years podcast!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

User avatar
Bg
Site Admin
Posts: 43464
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 12:13 am
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 2281 times
Been liked: 4015 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Bg »

So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Post Reply