YouTube goodness

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 27910
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 4449 times
Been liked: 2394 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 am

I know Chris Buck has come up before in my absence, but I love watching his vids. He's the complete blues-based guitarist for me, note choice, technique, timing and feel... perfection. If I could be an exact copy of anyone, it would be Chris.

Some interesting bits about the history of the Strat in here too.
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
#gayerformayer
Slowy wrote: But bullshit and guitars is what we do here. It's all we do here.

User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 460 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Danger Mouse »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
I enjoy watching Paul's vids, I learn a lot from them and he certainly knows his stuff, but I find his playing to be in the good spectrum rather than great. That vid where he copied Chris's solo on the guitar challenge thing he put together (which I assume is what you're talking about) highlighted that very well.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised...

User avatar
codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 2247 times
Been liked: 744 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 am

I know Chris Buck has come up before in my absence, but I love watching his vids. He's the complete blues-based guitarist for me, note choice, technique, timing and feel... perfection. If I could be an exact copy of anyone, it would be Chris.

Some interesting bits about the history of the Strat in here too.
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
Yeah, he's a fantastic guitarist for all the reasons DM mentioned above. I can only watch him in small doses though. I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much. The only other one I have seen is the current Andertons acoustic guy, Ben someoneorother, big ginger bearded dude. I'm fully qualified to make these comments because I can't play for shite :lolno: :roll:

IMOCD
Squier
Posts: 396
Joined: Tue May 10, 2016 9:04 pm
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 54 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by IMOCD »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
I enjoy watching Paul's vids, I learn a lot from them and he certainly knows his stuff, but I find his playing to be in the good spectrum rather than great. That vid where he copied Chris's solo on the guitar challenge thing he put together (which I assume is what you're talking about) highlighted that very well.
I enjoy Paul's channel too. His production skills are next level imo. I think he started the 'reading lamp in the corner of the shot' thang. See it everywhere now. :lol:

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 27910
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 4449 times
Been liked: 2394 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:15 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
I enjoy watching Paul's vids, I learn a lot from them and he certainly knows his stuff, but I find his playing to be in the good spectrum rather than great. That vid where he copied Chris's solo on the guitar challenge thing he put together (which I assume is what you're talking about) highlighted that very well.
That's the one! Fully agree with your comments too!!
#gayerformayer
Slowy wrote: But bullshit and guitars is what we do here. It's all we do here.

User avatar
Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 15894
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 pm
Location: Orcland
Has liked: 622 times
Been liked: 1677 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Slowy »

Burgs in an acoustic frame of mind being tasty and inspiring

"I would stop worrying about it and ride."
Sizzilingbadger.

User avatar
vyfster
Ashton
Ashton
Posts: 103
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:05 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 31 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by vyfster »

Enjoying Pete Thorn more and more. Love how Vai defines success.


Mini Forklift

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Mini Forklift »

codedog wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much.
Exactly my thoughts too. Don't know what it's called when you slide really quickly from fret to fret but Chris seems to do this ALL the time and I find it more than a little grating

Having said that he is still is a very good guitarist and I dig his tone and style, just can't listen to him in big doses

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 16183
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:08 pm
Location: Wellington, NZ
Has liked: 331 times
Been liked: 503 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by hamo »

I would never, could never have the nous or the patience to do this. Doesn't stop me feeling like I'm wasting my life though.

https://youtu.be/Hi3y5QRzMOE
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 460 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Danger Mouse »

codedog wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 am

I know Chris Buck has come up before in my absence, but I love watching his vids. He's the complete blues-based guitarist for me, note choice, technique, timing and feel... perfection. If I could be an exact copy of anyone, it would be Chris.

Some interesting bits about the history of the Strat in here too.
His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
Yeah, he's a fantastic guitarist for all the reasons DM mentioned above. I can only watch him in small doses though. I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much. The only other one I have seen is the current Andertons acoustic guy, Ben someoneorother, big ginger bearded dude. I'm fully qualified to make these comments because I can't play for shite :lolno: :roll:
I wasn't aware Paul Davids was a lurker on here, but I think he's read your post... :lol:


In my defence, I was left unsupervised...

User avatar
codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 3572
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:44 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 2247 times
Been liked: 744 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by codedog »

Danger Mouse wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am
codedog wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am
jeremyb wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:03 am

His playing is incredible, so much feel, you see other guitarists like Paul Davids try to play his licks and it just sounds sterile :rofl:
Yeah, he's a fantastic guitarist for all the reasons DM mentioned above. I can only watch him in small doses though. I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much. The only other one I have seen is the current Andertons acoustic guy, Ben someoneorother, big ginger bearded dude. I'm fully qualified to make these comments because I can't play for shite :lolno: :roll:
I wasn't aware Paul Davids was a lurker on here, but I think he's read your post... :lol:


:lol: :thumbup: YouTube notified me of that video but I hadn't had a chance to see it. Blimey, that's quite pronounced, eh? I have to go back and watch Chris Buck's videos, can't recall hearing it there.

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 19810
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 2132 times
Been liked: 2738 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Molly »

Interesting doco:


User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 460 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am Interesting doco:

Ooo I'll save that for a later watch. Rich Hall is one of my favourite comedians, but like most successful comedians there's clearly a very smart guy behind the quick wit.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised...

User avatar
Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 19810
Joined: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:17 pm
Has liked: 2132 times
Been liked: 2738 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Molly »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:19 pm
Molly wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:16 am Interesting doco:
Ooo I'll save that for a later watch. Rich Hall is one of my favourite comedians, but like most successful comedians there's clearly a very smart guy behind the quick wit.
I noticed there are a couple of docos. Looks like they're an unofficial upload (not from BBC4) so I'd watch them while you can.



Edit: Just watched that one. :thumbup:

User avatar
Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 7644
Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:32 pm
Location: Jafa Land
Has liked: 180 times
Been liked: 460 times

Re: YouTube goodness

Post by Danger Mouse »

codedog wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 am
Danger Mouse wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:11 am
codedog wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:23 am

Yeah, he's a fantastic guitarist for all the reasons DM mentioned above. I can only watch him in small doses though. I just cannot get past all the twitching, shaking, and wobbling. I understand that good players get in the groove and things just happen, just can't watch it. There aren't many players that do this, to a point that I can't watch them too much. The only other one I have seen is the current Andertons acoustic guy, Ben someoneorother, big ginger bearded dude. I'm fully qualified to make these comments because I can't play for shite :lolno: :roll:
I wasn't aware Paul Davids was a lurker on here, but I think he's read your post... :lol:


:lol: :thumbup: YouTube notified me of that video but I hadn't had a chance to see it. Blimey, that's quite pronounced, eh? I have to go back and watch Chris Buck's videos, can't recall hearing it there.


I suspect we have more than one famous lurker on here, I think Chris has also now read this thread and is intentionally trying to wind you up at the beginning :D
In my defence, I was left unsupervised...

Post Reply