Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Re: Your Parents Legacy.

Post by jeremyb »

Danger Mouse wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:55 am Ok I've been fighting this stupid joke for too long, so here you go, here's my parents legacy.
I love you Tyrone!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Parental transport legacy, Dad had all three and then some. Could'a actually bought the farm with that lot now. (pictures stolen from elsewhere)

He had another pickup farm truck fitted with dual dirt digger tyres, had very little exhaust. Sometimes he'd drive it in fury attacking a mucky clay track. My brothers slightly terrified but me loving it.

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 634 times
Been liked: 804 times

Post by hamo »

My dad was a Landrover man, before they went all floofy for the Chelsea set. Defenders mostly.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

hamo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:07 am My happiest moments have been my 12 yo telling me she likes Rob Zombie; and listening to Master Of Puppets thanks to Stranger Things.
Saw Rob Zombie at Donington. Playing that album with More Human than Human. Became my gym album for a while.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:47 am On Saturday night I asked a 26 year old how she developed a love for classic Rock; effectively her grandparent's music. She said her mother is a radio announcer and growing up, she would listen to Mum on the radio to feel close to her.

Thinking of my own upbringing, my Dad's favourite was Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald; two artists I love to this day. In my parents record collection I discovered the Kingston Trio and Peter, Paul and Mary; both acoustic guitar bands. The sound of the guitar left me utterly entranced and the pathway to my first Martin D28 was clear and inevitable.

What effect has the older generation had on you?
I like this!

My folks loved Louis and Ella too. And Louis Prima!

The kids of good friends of mum and dad introduced me to Harry Nilsson. Cousins got me into Slade.

That background brought me great pleasure fucking with the heads of people who thought "Just a Gigolo" was written by David Lee Roth, "Cum On Feel The Noise" was a Quiet Riot song and Celine Fuken Dions "Without You" was anything more than an overwrought yet shittily insipid cover of the epic Nilsson version (not to mention it was actually written by Pete Ham of Badfinger!)

Special mention must go to Mum and Dad loving Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren which meant we had the bizarre album "Peter and Sophia" which had classic peculiarities like "Goodness Gracious Me" and "Zoo Be Zoo Be Zoo".

:D :rofl: :D :rofl:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Molly wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:38 am
hamo wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:07 am My happiest moments have been my 12 yo telling me she likes Rob Zombie; and listening to Master Of Puppets thanks to Stranger Things.
Saw Rob Zombie at Donington. Playing that album with More Human than Human. Became my gym album for a while.
I'm still disappointed you didn't come and say hello, especially as I stood out. I was the one with the long hair and black heavy metal t-shirt.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

I got the Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits album for my 5th birthday in 1985, and listened to Dad's The 60's Collection cassette set more than he did around the late 80's - and my radio station of choice, is The Sound. That kinda says it all.

Edit: Still got 'em
20221118_180043.jpg
20221118_180043.jpg (666.34 KiB) Viewed 2478 times

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

My maternal Grandfather was a Saxophonist in an old style swing big band

My Father worked for EMI and also had his own music (retail, vinyl) shop

I don’t remember not knowing Kind of Blue, Young Americans and London Calling

Mums music was more Americana / Folk then Celtic and the 70’s English stuff like Steeleye Span etc.

My experience with music isn’t acknowledged without my Family listening habits
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:40 am
Slowy wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:47 am On Saturday night I asked a 26 year old how she developed a love for classic Rock; effectively her grandparent's music. She said her mother is a radio announcer and growing up, she would listen to Mum on the radio to feel close to her.

Thinking of my own upbringing, my Dad's favourite was Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald; two artists I love to this day. In my parents record collection I discovered the Kingston Trio and Peter, Paul and Mary; both acoustic guitar bands. The sound of the guitar left me utterly entranced and the pathway to my first Martin D28 was clear and inevitable.

I like this!

The kids of good friends of mum and dad introduced me to Harry Nilsson. Cousins got me into Slade.

That background brought me great pleasure fucking with the heads of people who thought "Just a Gigolo" was written by David Lee Roth, "Cum On Feel The Noise" was a Quiet Riot song and Celine Fuken Dions "Without You" was anything more than an overwrought yet shittily insipid cover of the epic Nilsson version (not to mention it was actually written by Pete Ham of Badfinger!)

Special mention must go to Mum and Dad loving Peter Sellers and Sophia Loren which meant we had the bizarre album "Peter and Sophia" which had classic peculiarities like "Goodness Gracious Me" and "Zoo Be Zoo Be Zoo".

Louis Prima is awesome, I still hit him up on youtube. The magic between him and Keely is always great :)

By far the best version, sorry diamond dave ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

JoeBlow wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:03 pm I got the Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits album for my 5th birthday in 1985, and listened to Dad's The 60's Collection cassette set more than he did around the late 80's - and my radio station of choice, is The Sound. That kinda says it all.

Edit: Still got 'em
20221118_180043.jpg
Ha! I had both of those albums, similarly acquired.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

Capt. Black wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:40 am

I like this!

"Give us a bash at the bangers and mash
Me Muvva used to make"

Superb!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”