hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Re: Tone Seekers - Your Personal Best Tone

Post by hamo »

The best tone I've never owned was a Charvel So Cal straight into a multi watt Dual Rec at the Rock Shop. Was also a big fan of a Blackout loaded Charvel DS into the Orange TH30 via a Cathedral reverb.

Favourite fun tone was an octave down preset on the Line 6 HD100 head I had. Sounded huuuuge. :D
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

jimi wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:27 pm I was very happy with my tone yesterday... My LP standard, neck pickup (Burstbucker Pros), Boss OD1x for a bit of extra gain and grit, and into RobRoyMcCoy's special little Bellbird. soft and squishy, sustain for days. Good tone = a great jam.

The other one that sticks in my mind is ES-335 (57 classics) into a 1974x, volume around 2, so a bit of crunch happening, with a little bit of extra drive from a klon clone (Bondi Sick As). Thick and compressed, edge of breakup and endless sustain. Definitely my happy place.
I have a 1974x kit in my garage that I need to get around to wiring up. Thanks for the reminder...
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

I think I’m happiest with my current setup:

‘67 Gretsch 6120 -> Surfy Bear Spring Reverb -> Bogner Duende

I’ve had some great tones over the years though-
Robin Savoy -> Greenstone Bellverb 5 was pretty epic

Radian Paulownia Tele -> Custom Tremolux built by Ryan was another winning combo. I’m currently getting reacquainted with that amp and am loving it paired with my Gretsch too.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

A JS1000 through a cranked 5150ii head and Marshall greenback loaded 4x12. Glorious.
Loving it so far

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Les Paul into 65 Tupelo
Gretsch into Princeton

Those two sounds are really all I need. The rest is just nerdy experimentation.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

GrantB wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:46 am Les Paul into 65 Tupelo
Gretsch into Princeton

Those two sounds are really all I need. The rest is just nerdy experimentation.
Oof! That Tupelo stilll haunts me.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Les Paul/ Telecaster into Bogner mojado - xotic RC for more - rat for even more - settled

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

Just recent, 52 AVRI tele to revival trem to Boss Katana.

Small amount of delay and reverb on amps Clean setting with Revival Trem set cleanish with trem pulsing away.

I hear bell chimes on the open chords. Very piano like when I play cleanly and don’t get my ham fists in the way.
Wellington

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Apart from synths, I wonder if guitar is the instrument with most variation in tones? Some tones that other people chase I can either dislike, think it’s ok for them but not me.

I would guess most other instruments have a much narrower range of tones?

And another thing, electric tones are much more group dependent, so some tones that sound good in isolation don’t work in a band, and some great band tones sound weird isolated.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Delayman wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 am

And another thing, electric tones are much more group dependent, so some tones that sound good in isolation don’t work in a band, and some great band tones sound weird isolated.
So much this!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

GrantB wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:05 pm
Delayman wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 am

So much this!
I was/am a big fan of the Scorpions especially the sound of their big 80s stuff, saw them live a few times and they were just as good as on record.

Then I heard Matthias Jabs isolated tones on a rig rundown or deep dive into his live stuff and it's horrible, so trebbly etc. obviously it's just so the lead work sits perfectly above the rhythm bed, but man I wouldn't want that tone when I'm playing on my own! (actually I'd probably take it to be honest ;) )

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Delayman wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 am Apart from synths, I wonder if guitar is the instrument with most variation in tones? Some tones that other people chase I can either dislike, think it’s ok for them but not me.

Interesting thought... I think you might be right - I don't think there is another instrument that has evolved as many different sounds while maintaining the same basic form (drummers might argue? But 'drums' are like a mini-ensemble, right?)

I'm not sure if that is anything to do with the nature of the instrument as opposed to cultural timing? Guitar's popularity coincided with electrification, and I'd dare say guitarists exploited early electrification more effectively than other instruments (it needed it more for one thing). I could imagine that if electric fiddling had really taken off, violins might have evolved a similarly wide palette of tones?

By the time we get to the digital age, the instrument itself matters less - anything can sound like anything...

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Darth Sabbathi wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:13 pm
Delayman wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:58 am Apart from synths, I wonder if guitar is the instrument with most variation in tones? Some tones that other people chase I can either dislike, think it’s ok for them but not me.

Interesting thought... I think you might be right - I don't think there is another instrument that has evolved as many different sounds while maintaining the same basic form (drummers might argue? But 'drums' are like a mini-ensemble, right?)

I'm not sure if that is anything to do with the nature of the instrument as opposed to cultural timing? Guitar's popularity coincided with electrification, and I'd dare say guitarists exploited early electrification more effectively than other instruments (it needed it more for one thing). I could imagine that if electric fiddling had really taken off, violins might have evolved a similarly wide palette of tones?

By the time we get to the digital age, the instrument itself matters less - anything can sound like anything...
It's true, you can even make your Tesla sound like farts.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

matman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 289 times
Been liked: 49 times

Post by matman »

higainer wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:42 pm Les Paul with Suhr Aldrich pickups into a Jose modded Mojave Peacemaker thru matching 4x12 loaded with M75 Scumbacks.
Aye, t'was glorious!
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away" - Tom Waits

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Chromes strings with Medium action
Soft hands plucking close to the fingerboard

Diamond Bass Compressor