sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: In Praise of the Flint

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Verb after gain... unless you specifically want that mushy/sludgy sound that no-one really wants.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:18 pm
Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:26 pm Bought a flint a while back and finally got to try it out yesterday - through an Iridium as I’m amp-less.

Have to say it left me a little bit underwhelmed given YouTube demos and the general reputation it has, which is unfortunate as I was so looking forward to having and using one. Felt and sounded a bit too digital, especially around the edges of the sound. The trem controls also seem a bit limited. Has anyone else thought this? Do I need to get it going through an amp to fully appreciate? Have I just provided grounds for excommunication?
You got it before or after the iridium? most people seem to run it after for some reason...
Before, which seemed automatic in my head as I treat the Iridium as the amp.

Thewilltopowerrock
Vintage Pun Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 47 times

Post by Thewilltopowerrock »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:21 pm Verb after gain... unless you specifically want that mushy/sludgy sound that no-one really wants.
Yep after gain, and for the most part I wasn’t running any gain at all, just gat-flint-iridium.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

I also have the Flint/Iridium combo. I think if you're using the spring setting, it sounds better to go Flint into Iridium. If you're using plate or room, I prefer Flint after Iridium. Don't skimp on the room control in the Iridium, either!
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:15 pm And lastly, I am so glad that Slowy lend me his Flint as it saved me from buying one, only to be disappointed :lol:
Right.
I'll have it back now thanks.

:rofl:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:30 pm
Jay wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:15 pmI have Slowy's Flint atm and playing it trhough my Jansen amp. I must say, I agree with you. I find the Flint underwhelming too when compared to my other digital reverb.

Currently I have the Flint setup in series with my Yamaha Magic Stomp. The latter has a number of different reverb types available which can be tuned individually. I can 'tune' it to sound similar to the Flint, but actually prefer the untuned version out of the box.

I can try it on my Vox AC15 or on the Princeton if you like and let you know...
Oh no, maybe my first impression is correct! 😐 I guess I definitely won’t know until I’m playing it through a real amp. If you do get round to putting it through those amps I’d be keen to know your thoughts.
Played the Flint again today with a TV Jones Dynasonic fitted guitar (single coils) and a TV Jones Classics fitted guitar (humbucker). I removed all my previous bias :wink:

First through the Jansen, then the Vox AC15 then the Princeton. The latter two with internal reverb set to off.

The Flint definitely sounded good, as did my Yamaha Stomp reverb. I had the little switch on 70's, the mix knob on 12 and the colour knob on 1 o'clock.

My 'underwhelming' assessment is probably best explained as a reaction to the Flint's retail price. I was expecting more than what I can get out of a Yamaha DSP from more than 10 years ago.

The Flint's tremolo is good too so perhaps I was setting my expectations too high?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Jay wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:16 pm
Thewilltopowerrock wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:30 pm
Jay wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:15 pmI have Slowy's Flint atm and playing it trhough my Jansen amp. I must say, I agree with you. I find the Flint underwhelming too when compared to my other digital reverb.

Currently I have the Flint setup in series with my Yamaha Magic Stomp. The latter has a number of different reverb types available which can be tuned individually. I can 'tune' it to sound similar to the Flint, but actually prefer the untuned version out of the box.

I can try it on my Vox AC15 or on the Princeton if you like and let you know...
Oh no, maybe my first impression is correct! 😐 I guess I definitely won’t know until I’m playing it through a real amp. If you do get round to putting it through those amps I’d be keen to know your thoughts.
Played the Flint again today with a TV Jones Dynasonic fitted guitar (single coils) and a TV Jones Classics fitted guitar (humbucker). I removed all my previous bias :wink:

First through the Jansen, then the Vox AC15 then the Princeton. The latter two with internal reverb set to off.

The Flint definitely sounded good, as did my Yamaha Stomp reverb. I had the little switch on 70's, the mix knob on 12 and the colour knob on 1 o'clock.

My 'underwhelming' assessment is probably best explained as a reaction to the Flint's retail price. I was expecting more than what I can get out of a Yamaha DSP from more than 10 years ago.

The Flint's tremolo is good too so perhaps I was setting my expectations too high?
As I see it, Strymon's brief was to make a box that offered most of Fender's classic reverb and tremelo sounds. That's all. All my amps are valve and all are dry so the Flint is a useful addition to my rig. I think it does it's appointed task very well but if you want shoegaze or massive caverns, I'd look elsewhere.

And yeah; at today's prices, I'd never own one.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

That makes sense, and I am sure I would be happy with one... Massive caverns are for JB though.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.