robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Dual drive pedals: experiences?

Post by robthemac »

I'm pretty well stocked for overdrive pedals at the moment, but am thinking about downsizing to a smaller board. Anyone have any thoughts on running two overdrive pedals compared to a dual drive? Do you miss being able to chop and change? It do you just make the one pedal work?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Re: Dual drive pedals: experiences?

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Dual is better I think, with independently switchable channels. I use a BE-OD Deluxe (crunch / distortion) but I have a separate tube overdrive as well - best of both worlds/all combinations :)

I don't get the stacking hype - just takes you further away from your natural tone, adds noise, tapdancing, etc.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

You could argue the point of pedals was to offer a different tone you couldnt normally get "naturally".

There's no right answer, and each side has pros and cons. My drive search ended when I put a Third Eye and Humble Pie on my board. Before that I had a Sundog dual drive... But I also have a dual rec so my gain needs are met rather easily.

Basically you gotta work out what you're looking for then work backwards from the objective.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Really the only advantage a dual drive gives is real estate and power requirements, that being said there are some great dual drives out there.
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Most are just a boost and OD in one tho', thing I like about the KoT (I have a clone) is you can make either side a boost, OD, or distortion, really excellent pedal, that said I also run a hotcake and an EP booster for other flavours too...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I’ve never had a dual overdrive that sounded as good as two separate pieces.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I'm currently happy with a King of Tone clone running into a Timmy.

If you want to save space, need a huge range of sounds and can get to grips with 4 knobs and a 3 way switch ( just a little practice) I've met nothing with more tones than a Rockbox Boiling Point.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:22 am I’ve never had a dual overdrive that sounded as good as two separate pieces.
Toan is in the patch lead :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

I've always enjoyed running a Tubescreamer into a 'Amp-like' overdriver pedal. Currently a 808 clone into Blackstar HT Dual (2 channel Valve OD). Overdrive is my rhythm sound, when I want lead volume/tone, the TS808 stacks into it really well. Saturates and 'sits up' in the mix with that 808 voicing. 2c

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Are you suggesting the possibility there's a better stack than a TS into a RAT?
Loving it so far

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

StratMatt wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:53 pm Are you suggesting the possibility there's a better stack than a TS into a RAT?
Gotta be honest, I'm not sure the front end of the RAT needs to be hit hard for more gain.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

StratMatt wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:53 pm Are you suggesting the possibility there's a better stack than a TS into a RAT?
EP Booster into a Hotcake is pretty glorious!

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

robthemac wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:06 pm
Gotta be honest, I'm not sure the front end of the RAT needs to be hit hard for more gain.
Nah you're right, the gain is there in spades, its just takes on a nice smoother compressed quality.
Loving it so far

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

I did that for awhile. Then I tried a Boss OD-2R into a RAT and sold the TS.