calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Re: Guitar Toan, What Actually Matters?

Post by calling card »

clubhouse wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 am As an aside...Josh Smith (Flat V Lounge cat) regularly asks his guests, "if you had to choose between playing a shitty guitar (tuneable, intoned and otherwise playable...just wasn't nice to the touch or exactly your sound kinda thing) or going through a shitty amp (again, it works but otherwise not your sound), which way would you go?" Most reply: amp! Without hesitation. They'd put up with a budget guitar in favour of the output box's sound being something they could live with...

For me, if I don't dig the sounds, I just fold up...can't grab the muse, despite the axe.

How say you...?
Like fusing hydrogen to helium and for a brief moment sunshine. In a sonic metaphor. Depends what you're looking for.

I throw most towards the amp, could get by with a string on a shovel handle if desperate.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Inspiration. If the toan, guitar, amp, pedals, cables, or what have you, inspires you to play, then it's good.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

I prefer to have a decent guitar that I really like. Most days it inspires me to pick it up and play it even unplugged.
If i have a $5k amp with a shitty guitar, it will not inspire me to pick up the guitar at all

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

calling card wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:25 am He's a patient chap. I'm impressed most by that Dr Z airbrake, Celestion gold the full voiced winner and Focusrite for a pre amp pick. Every thing else so subtle and gone in a flash when the drummer starts up.
Not even sure I want to watch that. Many years ago,(before NZG), I had a Fender Princeton Chorus. Even then, I thought its tones were average and drive tones unusable. I had it one night at a Guitar Association meeting in Westhaven. Some guy plugged a JS ibanez into it and proceeded to do a fair imitation of God.

OK, he had an Ibanez but fingers..... it's all about fingers!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:04 am ... Guitar Association meeting ...
A what? There is such a thing? Damn... All the good stuff is in Auckland (leaving aside disease).

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:12 am
Slowy wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:04 am ... Guitar Association meeting ...
A what? There is such a thing? Damn... All the good stuff is in Auckland (leaving aside disease).
GANZ. Guitar Association of NZ. Founded by a mate of mine. Pretty sure they're still going. Biggest problem is they always got together to actually play. :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

calling card wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:33 am
clubhouse wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:37 am As an aside...Josh Smith (Flat V Lounge cat) regularly asks his guests, "if you had to choose between playing a shitty guitar (tuneable, intoned and otherwise playable...just wasn't nice to the touch or exactly your sound kinda thing) or going through a shitty amp (again, it works but otherwise not your sound), which way would you go?" Most reply: amp! Without hesitation. They'd put up with a budget guitar in favour of the output box's sound being something they could live with...

For me, if I don't dig the sounds, I just fold up...can't grab the muse, despite the axe.

How say you...?
Like fusing hydrogen to helium and for a brief moment sunshine. In a sonic metaphor. Depends what you're looking for.

I throw most towards the amp, could get by with a string on a shovel handle if desperate.
In my experience, an average guitar into a great amp generally sounds better than a great guitar into an average amp.

Stands to reason: an amp is judged by its sound and dynamics. A guitar is judged more for its playability and feel. So my proviso is the guitar still has to feel ok.

Otherwise, I'll play acoustic. :moresarc:

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

How say you...?
I agree with you, but also find my tone dictates how I play way to much.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Conway wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:17 am
Molly wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:51 am All I know is, if it looks good, it is good. ;-)
All I know is, if it is blue, it is good. :wink:
IB:JB

:winky:

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Voxshall wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:36 am

How say you...?
Oh brother, I hear you loud and clear there! Man, I hang my head knowing I should be putting in the effort even if my sound sucks, but I can't maintain the flow. The creative mind-set?...I don't know...sometimes, in those rare moments of hydrogen and helium coalescence, time evaporates and hours later I realise the muse had me in her caressingly, comfy embrace...and the cat needs feeding and I'm keeping the neighbours awake and...

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

clubhouse wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:30 pm
Voxshall wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:36 am

How say you...?
Oh brother, I hear you loud and clear there! Man, I hang my head knowing I should be putting in the effort even if my sound sucks, but I can't maintain the flow. The creative mind-set?...I don't know...sometimes, in those rare moments of hydrogen and helium coalescence, time evaporates and hours later I realise the muse had me in her caressingly, comfy embrace...and the cat needs feeding and I'm keeping the neighbours awake and.......those days I know to be good days.
Finished it for ya. :thumbup:

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

How say you...?
I'm the opposite. I'll gladly play a great guitar into a functional but basic amp, maybe even a shitty amp. Toan is in the fingers and those fingers work better on a great guitar with nice action and good electrics.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Take amp over guitar any day.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

MattAnt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 113 times

Post by MattAnt »

Sound wise a good amp is going to make a bigger difference than a good guitar. But a good guitar will feel better, and probably make you play better.

Ideally have a good guitar into a good amp :D
Scarecrow101 on TradeMe

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

agree with Matt a good guitar will definitely make you play better because you're inspired to play more and its a pleasure to play everytime
what if your shitty guitar was like my first guitar :mrgreen:
first guitar.jpeg
first guitar.jpeg (8.36 KiB) Viewed 2428 times