Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Jazz, semis, flat vs round?

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Hello all

I've been indulging in a bit of jazz. Or more precisely, I've dabbled with it for years but decided to spend more focus on it. I understand the theory (thx piano) but now having to get it to work on the guitar.

I've got an Ibanez George Benson semi which is perfect for the task. Running it through a Roland blues cube. I think I presently am using 10s, maybe 11s, in the NYXL range. But I'm wondering whether - as this is going to be a dedicated jazz guitar - I should (a) go to say 12s or 13s and/or (b) use flat wounds.

I've never used anything above 11s. I've never used flat wounds. So I'd love to hear from folks who are experienced with these things, in the jazz context.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom that is imparted.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Jazz, semis, flat vs round?

Post by H671 »

I don't play jazz, but every hollow or semi hollow that I've owned got fitted with flat wounds.
They stopped the string squeak - a pet hate of mine & gave a warmer sound. My strings of choice - 11-50 D'Addario ECG24 chromes.
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

If it gets you into 'jazz mode' then sure. I had 12s on my hollow body when I was at jazz school - super low action. It helped me to stop doing bends and vibrato and remember to play like a jazz player. The guitar was still a bit cumbersome to play all those big chords.

I personally didn't like flats because they were just too mellow sounding. Way easier to play though. Maybe I needed more time with them.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Big fan of Thomastik flats here. And not just for jazzers. They sound great with a fat dollop of fuzz too. :thumbup:
Pricey, but they last forever.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I wonder whether I'd need to have it set up properly too to take advantage of it. Wonder if Ramsay is a level 3 essential service...

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Kiwiaxe wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 9:14 am
I've got a... semi which is perfect for the task.
Really? I find them ineffective.

No wisdom to impart, just dirty jokes.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

If you choose heavier strings, you probably would need a set up, which would include widening the nut slots. I would first try flatwounds of the same gauge as your roundwounds, just in case you do not like them. I once tried Pyramid flatwounds. They were good strings, but not right for the guitar.

quyet
Gibson
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 167 times

Post by quyet »

Depending on the sound you're after, it's generally roundwound monel for prewar jazz, swing and the start of bebop, then flatwounds from the mid 50s on.

Chromes are a relatively cheap way to start out with flats, but they are duller than other brands. Best I've found are GHS precision flats, but they're expensive. Music Planet carries them. Thomastik flats are probably the most popular among pros.