null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Multiple OD users come here.

Post by null_pointer »

I’ve always been a stacker. The actual pedals vary from time to time, but I always sit my Tim at the start straight after Tuner - Volume Pedal - Compressor. From there, I add the HBOD for that warm crunch, into double cake for varying degrees of OD/Fuzz then end of OD chain is Zendrive set higher level for lead. Tim stays on, and occasionally I’ll use the boost to add to whatever pedal in front I’m hitting harder to increase it to ‘more’.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

There's an older thread about stacking. Might be worth a trawl.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

I find 2 pedals stacked is ok but 3 gets to compressed and undefined. (A straight clean boost at the end is fine though) My board changes each week but currently I’ve got 3 drives on my board which I stack in varying combinations, a Blues Breaker style, a Hotcake clone and a JHS Super bolt.
I have just built up an Ibanez MT-10 mosfet distortion that might take the hot cakes place though!

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Guitar => Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret => Bondi Sick As overdrive => slightly dirty amp

DLS set up for a medium Marshall crunch with out too much volume jump
Sick As OD as a mostly clean boost

Lots of volume knobbing.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

The DLS is a fantastic pedal, wouldn't say no to another one.
Loving it so far

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

Another vote for the DLS, had one years ago, at 18V it sounded like a cranked Marshall, soooo good!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 239 times
Been liked: 1041 times

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:38 pm Another vote for the DLS, had one years ago, at 18V it sounded like a cranked Marshall, soooo good!!
I've got the mk1 DLS and it's got to be my most favorite pedal ever.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

The DLS is perfect for that cranked Marshall thing. The whole treat this like an amp and put it last in your signal chain thing they talk about in the manual doesnt really work though. I need my other OD to be doing the volume boost for solos thing, not the make it more saturated / compressed thing, so its got to be stacked the other way round.

I watched a J Mascis pedalboard walk through that was interesting - he has cranked amps, and goes the other way - a OD pedal with the level reduced, so his "clean" sound is using that for a volume drop.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Wot they said.
On my board Guitar>Compressor>TS808>Tube OD>Cleanish Amp.
Tube OD has 2 channels, for 2x rhythm OD options. TS808 stacks into either channel well for a tight lead tone. +/- Compressor. TS808 sounds good on its own also, depends on guitar.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

IMG_4413.JPG
IMG_4413.JPG (1.1 MiB) Viewed 3911 times
Here's my collection. Noticed recently to my horror that the three on my board were all sounding the same :crazy:

I stack the Archer as a mid boost and also use it as a clean boost. Then again, both the Keeley comp and Boss GE-7 do that too.

I always play single coils and use clean boost, OD and light distortion. But as I said, everything's starting to sound the same.

So what would you do with this lot? The Zendrive is the best thing ever to happen to a Strat bridge pup. Timmy is old faithful and I like the Klon character but I can get most of it with EQ if I'm honest
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

I used to get into pedal stacking but I prefer the lead channel of my amp now and I'm more into clean boost and para eq's to shape the tone, the preamp in my DMM or Echoplex does tasty things also. I picked up a silverface Champ recently and modded it with a tonestack bypass, that thing just sounds so good but I do need to pull out the OD pedals with that one in a band situation.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by jimi »

Slowy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:48 pm So what would you do with this lot? The Zendrive is the best thing ever to happen to a Strat bridge pup. Timmy is old faithful and I like the Klon character but I can get most of it with EQ if I'm honest
I'd start by getting rid of the strat and using a good Les Paul, or ES335. Get rid of that Timmy - its a harsh little box of bees with no business on any decent pedal board. You've got a DLS for rhythm crunch, and the Archer makes a good boost with a little bit of hair. played into an amp thats already a bit dirty and you're sorted.

<only joking.... but not really>

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

jimi wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:25 pm
Slowy wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:48 pm So what would you do with this lot? The Zendrive is the best thing ever to happen to a Strat bridge pup. Timmy is old faithful and I like the Klon character but I can get most of it with EQ if I'm honest
I'd start by getting rid of the strat and using a good Les Paul, or ES335. Get rid of that Timmy - its a harsh little box of bees with no business on any decent pedal board. You've got a DLS for rhythm crunch, and the Archer makes a good boost with a little bit of hair. played into an amp thats already a bit dirty and you're sorted.

<only joking.... but not really>
Not a Strat; it's a G&L Legacy which is way better than any Strat for tonal versatility. Lesters and 335's just don't like me.

DLS and Archer you say? :think:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Where's the fuzz Slowy? Get your hands on an EQD Hoof, it's a versatile Muff style with a mids control, you can't go wrong.
Loving it so far