jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: The Lost Art of Tuning

Post by jeremyb »

Kev77 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:12 am
jeremyb wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:41 am The sound of my cock slapping your mums face is a perfect low E, stood me in good stead back in the day.
That would be Db diminished?
Attachments
4aea56.png
4aea56.png (147.16 KiB) Viewed 3529 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I have tuning fork that I used to use.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Kev77 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:12 am
jeremyb wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:41 am The sound of my cock slapping your mums face is a perfect low E, stood me in good stead back in the day.
That would be Db diminished?
Surely it would be Jb diminished
:mental:

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

NippleWrestler wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:21 am I'd use a CD. Metallica stuff had a lot of open strings so makes it pretty easy to find your E, or Eb depending on the era.
I've used Nothing Else Matters to fine E more than a few times.

I've still got a track in my iTunes playlist from a Guitarist Magazine CD back in the day that starts: "Here's this month's tuning notes..." I have a feeling it's Mick from That Pedal Show? :think:
Nothing to see here.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Slowy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:57 am How did you do it?
Wrong :oops:

I have had (cheap) digital tuners for most of my guitar playing life, but I tried early on with a tuning fork, or in group lessons to tune to the instructor, but I never really developed my ear. Still can't really ear tune, and it's my biggest regret as a guitar player that I never did the foundation stuff like ear training when I was younger and my ears worked better. :(
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I think of the opening chord of Alive by Pearlart Jammis, A. It's ingrained enough to get pretty good on the 'by ear' tuning front. I don't really know why the Yamz are my go to, they're a fine enough band but not something that shows up on my playlist. I think I've mostly just been aware of this song for a long enough time and known what the key is that it's locked into my brain.
Realistically, I'm from a generation of cheap tuners. That's my proper go to.
My FIL nails it by ear and while I can pluck a tune better than he can, he's way more on pitch. It feels like a natural thing you either have or don't.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

When i was beginning I'd tune the rest of the strings to what every the e string was at. If the neck was bending too much, I'd slacken the e string and tune the other strings again... True story!!! :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

kdawg2a wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 11:03 am It feels like a natural thing you either have or don't.
I suspect it's far easier to develop this stuff when you're younger, I think I even read that somewhere online from someone who I'd respect got it right (maybe Beato). My son has bloody good pitch, I'm not sure how close he is to perfect but he's been doing Piano and singing since a very young age.

I was moderately "lucky" in that I played trumpet through school from age 10 till about 16, we'd have to tune up to the rest of the band and while the conductor/teacher would do most of the tuning you eventually got good at doing your own tuning. That rubbed off onto guitar when I started off and I had some horrible plastic pitch pipes I used to use - I think I had a tuning fork at one point but no idea where that is now.

I think I used to tune the bottom E and then I'd do the rest with 5th/4th fret tuning and verify using harmonics.

Thankfully cheap digital tuners came out when I picked up the guitar again as a young adult, and stuff like the Pitchblack and Polytune and clip on Polytune are just witchcraft :)

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I think it varies from day to day how good my ear is - and how much minor tuning differences bother me. Sometimes I nail it pretty quickly by ear, then other days i'm glad I own a tuner.

I used to use the dial tone from the old telephones - it was a G note.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Even my in tune guitars sound out of tune to me. Does that mean I have whatever the opposite of perfect pitch is?

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Michael wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:44 pm Even my in tune guitars sound out of tune to me. Does that mean I have whatever the opposite of perfect pitch is?
More likely means you have a heavy fretting hand.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

Slowy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:03 pm
Michael wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:44 pm Even my in tune guitars sound out of tune to me. Does that mean I have whatever the opposite of perfect pitch is?
That.. is very likely.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Michael wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:19 pm
Slowy wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 3:03 pm
That.. is very likely.
Or high string slots in your nut.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Now I tune using the solo from Killing In The Name
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

In the early days we’d all tune by ear, normally from the lead guitarist’s guitar. How he tuned was entirely by ear. It was entirely likely that we were nowhere near a440 at any time.
Then we all got tuners. Trouble was they were possibly not in tune with each other (early tuners were pretty average) and we’d spend more time tuning by ear.
Then we got an B3 or a Rhodes in the band and we’d all tune off that, so at least it was somewhere near all the same.
Now everyone relies on their clip-on tuners and people are known to have been upset with me when I’ve suggested that they should change their battery cos they’re not right. The ear can still hear.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...