jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Best Effects Units For Valve Amps...Go

Post by jeremyb »

NippleWrestler wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:07 pm
jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:01 pm Valve amps are too loud, so you need an OD pedal, I also think an analog delay is a far better choice, add some texture, a digital delay is too pure for my tastes! Also some fuzz but only into a slightly dirty amp, otherwise they sound thin.
You're not playing the right fuzzes then. The Fuzzboy we have will put a grin on your face. It's as thick and sludgy as you want.
I have thick and sludgy fuzzes too, but I think they sound better to my ears into a slightly dirty amp!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

johnny mullet
Squier
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 18 times

Post by johnny mullet »

It seems like a mod on the amp is the best answer, otherwise the loop would still be in front of the pre-amp.
jeremyb wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:40 pm An effects loop is part of the amp, would require modifications to add one to an amp that doesn't have one already :)

Do you have a pedal with an effects loop in it? or perhaps a loop pedal which allows you to switch in and out other pedals?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Depends what you're looking for.

Hendrix et al. No fx loop. Their tone was pretty good. If you're looking for pristine time based effects, then yes a loop is a good call. But before loops were invented, dirty fx was the order of the day ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

Bg wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:05 pm Depends what you're looking for.

Hendrix et al. No fx loop. Their tone was pretty good. If you're looking for pristine time based effects, then yes a loop is a good call. But before loops were invented, dirty fx was the order of the day ;)
Yes, yes. At the moment fuzz into trem is putting a smile on my face. Big open chords for days!! (Usually when I'm home alone tho).

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

johnny mullet wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:03 pm It seems like a mod on the amp is the best answer, otherwise the loop would still be in front of the pre-amp.
What type of amp do you have and what sound are you going for?

The theory is that Distortion should go before modulation and delay. So if you are using distortion from your amp's pre-amp then an effects loop enables you to put your delay / mod pedals after the preamp.

Otherwise Distortion pedal -> mod -> delay -> clean(ish) amp. sorted.

johnny mullet
Squier

Post by johnny mullet »

Bg wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:05 pm Depends what you're looking for.

I hear ya BG. I am influenced by more contemporary guitarists. I think I'll continue down that track/loop :lolno:

johnny mullet
Squier

Post by johnny mullet »

jimi wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:43 pm
johnny mullet wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:03 pm It seems like a mod on the amp is the best answer, otherwise the loop would still be in front of the pre-amp.
What type of amp do you have and what sound are you going for?

The theory is that Distortion should go before modulation and delay. So if you are using distortion from your amp's pre-amp then an effects loop enables you to put your delay / mod pedals after the preamp.

Otherwise Distortion pedal -> mod -> delay -> clean(ish) amp. sorted.
Thanks for the info. I've got a high gain amp and like the sounds of 80"s metal, Becker, Freidman, George Lynch, Megadeth. Plus Satch, Vai etc