jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

How many overdrives....

Post by jeremyb »

... is too many?

And what flavours should everyone have on their boards? enquiring minds need to know!! Your thoughts readers?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: How many overdrives....

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm ... is too many?

And what flavours should everyone have on their boards? enquiring minds need to know!! Your thoughts readers?
For gigging, 4 is too many. But remember they have to be selected from the 25 in the drawer.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:35 pm ... is too many?

....no such concept in my book. I rotate between my philosophers tone (with grit), Timmy, double hotcake, box of rock, caline blue sky. Aside from the BOR, I tend to favour pedals that maintain original signal as much as possible ( I'm not going to say the 'T' word here) If fuzz is included, just the one pedal for me, as my technique is a bit too sloppy for fuzz me thinks.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This channel has some impressive comparisons! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv5OXC ... JC2XxzexsQ
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

Like flavours of ice cream I reckon. No reason not to try em all

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

So I currently have a Klone, Zendrive clone, Sweet Honey clone, thinking of adding a TS808 clone as I love the TS808... I think that should be enough flavours?!?!?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Just grab a TS mini if you want an 808.

Im stacking a Klon, TS and hit a Hoof fuzz when I want it to go nuts. Wouldn't mind a nice BB style like a morning glory. 4 seems good.. I think :think:
Loving it so far

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Stack em high I say. I can put my “25 in a drawer” into three categories. Clean boost, coloured boost (which impacts how the amp responds more), and overdrive.

But, our esteemed resident dark web enthusiast OP has asked about “overdrives”.

MI Audio Blues Pro - still the total schizz to this day. I’ve had it for many years, and when I got my new KTR Klon home from carrying it around the East Coast of the USA (I jammed with it in a NY studio by Times Square and it sounded awesome), I A/B‘ d it and sold the Klon to Tim...sorry.

TMG Selma - light overdrive but full of tonal gifts ready to be unwrapped. Volume and Gain...no tonal tweaks allowed. But no need to.

Klon clone - eBay/Alieexpress $80 Klon. Ask Mr B how good they are. Silly really.

Not so much these days, but the Freakshow Effects 2010 (they call it a Boost, but it drives hard). It’s a Tweed Deluxe in a pedal. Complete with uber sag as you crank it up. I need to pull that one out of the drawer and have on my office board.

Everything else I use are boosts, as my amps are never clean to start with. I don’t play true clean, ever. That way, a boost acts more like an overdrive pedal and I have more control over the sound I get.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Tried Mr Bs Klon clone a few weeks ago, can't get better value for money than that.

Josh from JHS has some good videos on boosts and overdrive. As Grant says: often all you need is a boost or two into a hairy amp.
Loving it so far

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

I kinda dig the tonal variety you get from different od pedals, I also have a clean boost setup on my usual patch on the katana I can switch on or off, just never dug digital overdrives or distortions...

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by IMOCD »

StratMatt wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:40 pm As Grant says: often all you need is a boost or two into a hairy amp.
That's usually my approach too. Low gain/clean boost settings and often stacked.

Mosfet
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Mosfet »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:15 pm So I currently have a Klone, Zendrive clone, Sweet Honey clone, thinking of adding a TS808 clone as I love the TS808... I think that should be enough flavours?!?!?
Clones as! Do you make them?

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Dirty Little Secret count as an overdrive?

2 is the right number for me, but I’m keen on keeping the board small. Klone ish OD as a boost with a little drive, and DLS for more crunch. Stack ‘em for screeching solos. Slightly dirty single channel amp, and the volume knob. More than enough tones available.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

2 and a boost is what I have on my board, most of the time I just use 1 and a boost though. I’ve been really liking the Timmy clone in my HX stomp recently, never really liked a real one but the digital replication I like! I also prefer the slightly dirty amp and either a light OD or boost to push it into more gain.
Last edited by Reg18 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Mosfet wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:32 pm
jeremyb wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:15 pm So I currently have a Klone, Zendrive clone, Sweet Honey clone, thinking of adding a TS808 clone as I love the TS808... I think that should be enough flavours?!?!?
Clones as! Do you make them?
They are all Joyo pedals, just picked up another one too, the Uzi, their BB preamp clone, whhheeeeee... I have made clones in the past, have a harmonic percolator I built on my board :)