Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: If you could download skills...

Post by codedog »

Bg wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm
jimi wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:43 pm grafting on someone else's fingers might be needed too. I know most of my shortcomings are due to lack of practice, but watching a few of these great guitarists on youtubes and seeing these big hands, and long fingers doing stuff my short stumpy fingers will never reach.
Yep my problem too... Though some kids can play really well...
I see Kirk Fletcher, Mark Knopfler, and John Mayer with ginormous hands and fingers. Amazing reach, especially Mayer's ridiculously agile thumb that reach over the neck. Great players. Then again, I see classical players of delicate builds, with equally delicate hands and fingers, who can do amazing things on the fretboard!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I don't have large hands but I do the Hendrix thumb over thing, it's not hard one you start doing it :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:10 pm I don't have large hands but I do the Hendrix thumb over thing, it's not hard one you start doing it :)
That doesn't help if you're aiming for andy summers stretches.... some of his chords span 5 frets, low down on the fret board.

If I'm playing a chord that require a thumb over, I don't bother playing that string - I can do it, I'm just too lazy. I rarely play full chords, just triads if I can get away with it. And soloing is a different matter.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

sirvill
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 115 times
Been liked: 241 times

Post by sirvill »

Either John Petrucci or Guthrie Govan for sure.

They can play basically anything, know theory very well, great songwriters, they've got it all IMO.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

jeremyb wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:10 pm I don't have large hands but I do the Hendrix thumb over thing, it's not hard one you start doing it :)
Some thumb over things are easier than others. I can't remember the song but Mayer had one where you have to do a ridiculous stretch to get every finger placed, and thumb over. The stretch between index finger and thumb over was just ridiculous. Apparently there's a score sheet of Mayer's doodlings while writing the song, and he noted the fact that it required ginormous thumb to do this song!

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

George lynch for me
:mental:

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

My hands look very small, especially when having a piss.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:59 pm My hands look very small, especially when having a piss.
That's because your using kitchen towels to wipe your fanny...
:mental:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

JJ Cale.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Is this the modern version of a walk down to the crossroads?

I have no choice, it's got to be me defects & all. Better motor skills of fingers, finer kind of placement perhaps. Finger length is there at 100mm on the longest.
I look at someone like Doug Aldridge or many others shredding skills with a twinge of envy sometimes. Or some of Rory's bits & pieces and have failed to achieve to copy. Last few years I look at it as that's their trip and should find mine instead of being a very poor copy.
Yeah in search of messy lazy me :D and that's not so hard to find.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I'd go with John Mayer. Not only does he bed the ladies, he beds the quality ladies.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Interesting interpretations for this thread question to be honest. It seems to boil down to "who would you sound like if you could?"

Being the completist that I am, I would need to download someone with skills in versatility like Pete Thorn or Nita Strauss. If I'm going to be able to play all the stuff I want, then I want it to sound like that, not like, say, Steve Vai's version of it. Certain players with all the skills and knowledge and years of playing under their belts like Steve and Satch and Zakk and Nuno, I think will always sound like themselves now.
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

kdawg2a wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 am I'd go with John Mayer. Not only does he infect the ladies, he infects the quality ladies.
Fixed!
Tin arse!!

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Terexgeek wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 am
kdawg2a wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 am I'd go with John Mayer. Not only does he infect the ladies, he infects the quality ladies.
Fixed!
Works for me!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

kdawg2a wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 am I'd go with John Mayer. Not only does he bed the ladies, he beds the quality ladies.
We can get gayer for Mayer together! :mental:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.