godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: Affects on Tone

Post by godgrinder »

willow13 wrote:The research part should be real physical research not staring at you tube videos for 8hrs a day chasing "tone" with your eyes. To know what an amp sounds like you need to be in the room with it because tone involves air movement and environment not just the noise coming out of the speaker
I actually found youtube clips very helpful. But the main thing is to listen to the distortion characteristics ie in which frequency ranges are the clipping happening, rather than listening to the frequency response which varies a lot depending on cabs/speakers/mics/mixing. Another thing is to listen to 10 different clips you can find on the same amp, the common parts you hear in all clips would be the real character of the amp.

I bought a few rather niche amps based on clips and worked out pretty well for me.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

godgrinder wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Picks were a big surprise to me
Even the angle you're holding the exact same pick makes quite a bit of difference. This sounds much chunkier than the usual way but also impossible to play fast. Not a problem in doom bands though. :rofl: I've been using it a lot in the past 2-3 years.
jesus that is weird .... my wrist just hurts watching that. Angling the pick adds a tone of chunk but also adds a lot of noise so note clarity suffers. Dave Mustaine did a really good video showing the difference
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

willow13 wrote:
godgrinder wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Picks were a big surprise to me
Even the angle you're holding the exact same pick makes quite a bit of difference. This sounds much chunkier than the usual way but also impossible to play fast. Not a problem in doom bands though. :rofl: I've been using it a lot in the past 2-3 years.
jesus that is weird .... my wrist just hurts watching that. Angling the pick adds a tone of chunk but also adds a lot of noise so note clarity suffers. Dave Mustaine did a really good video showing the difference
I have seen that style in other genres too. Pretty sure Cory Wong plays like that... and a blues player I saw on YT too, can't recall which one just now.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
hamo wrote:You're all wrong
I'm never wrong
Yeah and hes fucking banned now too...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.