MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 78 times

Playing ambitions?

Post by MattH »

What are your preferred playing styles? What can you do well? What can you not do? What are you looking to work on this year?

Always interested in the battles of others!

There are few things I'd like to be able to do. I want to play more melodically, more fluid and with better phrasing, but I wouldn't mind being able to pull off a few speedy tricks every now and then.

I play for a lot of singer songwriters, so am also really interested in finding new chord substitutions, so some basic jazz theory is probably something I'm going to have to get myself into.
All the gear... absolutely no idea...

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Re: Playing ambitions?

Post by sty »

I'm probably going to work on my palm muting this year. A lot of the music I like uses a lot of palm muting and I also make a lot of wrong string noise and general crap when playing so I think I'll carry on working on this, this is more noticable now I've got a 2x12 and am generating more volume when praticing.

Also at the end of last year I started working/drilling on my legato, hammer-ons/pull-offs rather than full blown Joe Satrani type stuff. I've kind of been able to get away with the odd ones here and there when working on specific riffs but more general stuff, especially multiple consequative ones on the same string have been pretty hit and miss. I noticed this when working out he intro riff to School's Out which has a little three note pull off at the end and depending on which guitar I used it just sounded pretty crap. When I was starting to learn string bends I did a focused effort like this and it seemed to work pretty well and these days I think I can bend pretty much in tune (if maybe not always that quick) so I'm hoping thsi works.

My goal for the year is to get to the stage where I can play along comfortably for a rhythm(ish) parts to the kind of classic rock/metal I like. I'll be chuffed if I can play along and maybe bluff my way through playing with others.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Wanna work on my left hand muting and learn some Hendrix and chili peppers songs :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

I've been mucking about with playing and singing on my own, mostly on an acoustic. I'd like to try playing along to songs.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

I'm going to figure out how to do Pete Townshend style windmills without impailing my right hand on the guitar.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

kdawg2a wrote:I'm going to figure out how to do Pete Townshend style windmills without impailing my right hand on the guitar.
Lose the whammy bar...

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

I'd like to work on composing some songs. I have a weekly covers jam with a few guys. Might be a hard sell but I'd like to bring along some original ideas and develop them. Either that or find a new group interested in something similar.

I always get hung up on lyrics so need to work on getting through the blocker of being embarrassed to write my own.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

kdawg2a wrote:I'm going to figure out how to do Pete Townshend style windmills without impailing my right hand on the guitar.
I just want to now how he does it without fucking up his shoulder :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Improvise leads without going off the rails after 30 seconds.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

I'll be working on to not be shit.

Nah. Just getting the guitar in hand more and learning lots of songs. Try to pick songs that require different techniques that I'm not so proficient at but also not too far out of grasp. I think that's the key to my improvement.
More gigs too.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

MattH wrote:Right hand technique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iacQvKMSx6A
Interesting. I saw this, or an edit of it, a while back and it kind of made sense but it started to feel like it was one of those "miracle cure" scams and I forgot to check out on here if people thought it made sense.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I'm happy with my playing, I've figured out what I can and can't do so just keep working on what I can do and don't worry about the rest.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

MattH
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MattH »

sty wrote:
MattH wrote:Right hand technique!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iacQvKMSx6A
Interesting. I saw this, or an edit of it, a while back and it kind of made sense but it started to feel like it was one of those "miracle cure" scams and I forgot to check out on here if people thought it made sense.
I just posted a big reply, but it's gone for some reason.

Anyway, there's no scam here. He's just asking you to focus a little more on your right hand picking. I spent a lot of time on this when learning finger picking acoustic and it definitely helps.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

In terms of electric guitar anyway:

Things I'm good at:
Technical playing. I can replicate things easily.
When I pick up the guitar it's my instinct to make up melodic yet technical lines - e.g. I love Marco Sfogli. That's what I really enjoy doing.

Bad at:
Sight reading
Writing songs that I am happy with. I envy songwriters.

I'm working on some pop songs at the moment for a bit if a change, and because most people don't like technical guitar stuff haha. Trying to incorporate a few cool lines in the background though.