Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers with a Kemper?

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers with a Kemper?

Post by Molly »

Read that Michael Britt does all his profiles with the same cab and that the cab contains Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers. That being so, since I'm about to buy speakers for my Zilla Super Fatboy to pair with a Kemper I haven't bought yet (but likely will) would it make sense to buy the same speakers?

Did wonder if I'd be sourcing the same FRFR speakers that Kemper use in their own cabs but read the Britt article and it set me a'thinkin'.

Thanks.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: Celestion Classic Lead 80 speakers with a Kemper?

Post by Cdog »

Molly wrote: Did wonder if I'd be sourcing the same FRFR speakers that Kemper use in their own cabs but read the Britt article and it set me a'thinkin'.

Thanks.
Fat Range Funk Respone (FRFR) are the best. Disclaimer: Unqualified opinion.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Depends if you're after 'amp in the room' or 'recorded amp' . Can of worms time.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

I'm having great results with my Kemper through a V30 loaded 4x12
Saying that I'm running filthy high gain profiles that match the cab
:mental:

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

CL80's are decent speakers across the full range that a guitar puts out, pretty neutral, no freq spikes etc. While I've never had a Kemper I could imagine them being a good match short of going for something purpose built. I've had a couple of the Mesa Cl80 variants and found them to be tip top.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Thanks chaps. :thumbup:

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

Ok my 2c worth.

Michael Britt likes the sound of his CL80s. So all of his amp sounds are based on what he likes to hear through CL80s. If you are wanting a setup that you can reliably vary the preamp and power amp, but still run through the same speaker then that's a good way to go.

What it does however is give up the ability to properly vary the speaker (and microphone) part of the tone equation. So if you are really wanting to have the "amp in the room" sound, its a good way of doing it. But if you want to be able to vary the sound of the speaker and/or microphone then FRFR is necessary.

For what its worth, it took me about 3 months for my ear to truly adapt to FRFR as opposed to "amp in the room". Now I generally prefer to play my Kemper through FRFR (two atomic CLRs) that my tube amps through their guitar speakers.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Kiwiaxe wrote:Ok my 2c worth.

Michael Britt likes the sound of his CL80s. So all of his amp sounds are based on what he likes to hear through CL80s. If you are wanting a setup that you can reliably vary the preamp and power amp, but still run through the same speaker then that's a good way to go.

What it does however is give up the ability to properly vary the speaker (and microphone) part of the tone equation. So if you are really wanting to have the "amp in the room" sound, its a good way of doing it. But if you want to be able to vary the sound of the speaker and/or microphone then FRFR is necessary.

For what its worth, it took me about 3 months for my ear to truly adapt to FRFR as opposed to "amp in the room". Now I generally prefer to play my Kemper through FRFR (two atomic CLRs) that my tube amps through their guitar speakers.
Thanks for that. Makes sense to me.

I saw the NAMM release of the Kemper Kabinet. Mr Kemper said that using their speaker (a Celestion - available separately) you could have the Kemper imprint upon it the characteristics of different speakers. I think my logic for the Classic Lead 80 was that since it was used to create the profile then by turning off the cab sim on the Kemper you should be close to what M Britt was hearing when he created the profile (?). There's also the (presumed) ability to use the cab with other amps. Can see the advantage of FRFR speakers mind.

One other question. Can you turn off the cab sim to your cab but keep it in the DI?