Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

The Forgotten Importance of Mediocrity

Post by Slowy »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/29/opin ... pockethits

I urge you to invest 4 minutes in reading this article from the New York Times. It will speak to many of us. :)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: The Forgotten Importance of Mediocrity

Post by sizzlingbadger »

So true
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Nope, doesn't speak to me in the slightest.

Mind you, I have achieved mediocrity in so many things, professionally and personally, that I have long accepted it is who I am and what I am capable of. Effortless levels of mediocrity are what I strive for. If it gets too hard, I'll go be mediocre at something else.

Can I manage to be good at some of them? Yep, which is more than good enough, excellent is far too much like hard work.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

I've been cruising through life achieving excellence at nothing since '79

That columnist is a try hard.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

I tend to give too much time to my hobbies. I wonder how much I could've achieved if so much guitar-related crap didn't keep pushing its way to the front of my mind.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:I tend to give too much time to my hobbies. I wonder how much I could've achieved if so much guitar-related crap didn't keep pushing its way to the front of my mind.
For all the good hard work has done me over the years, I probably should have played more guitar.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Molly wrote:I tend to give too much time to my hobbies. I wonder how much I could've achieved if so much guitar-related crap didn't keep pushing its way to the front of my mind.
You would just have another hobby that you have the same behaviour with, it's human nature :) At least you've got really good at guitar, I've dithered back and forth across a multitude of hobbies and never got more than mediocre at any of them, so now I'm focusing on being a great Dad, thats given me some meaning and then the rest of the stuff can just be for fun :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Those values are far from mediocrity :)
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Only took me 1 minute to read as my hobby is speed reading and I’m really good at it, thanks to all the practice I do.

:-)

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

jeremyb wrote:
You would just have another hobby that you have the same behaviour with, it's human nature :) At least you've got really good at guitar, I've dithered back and forth across a multitude of hobbies and never got more than mediocre at any of them, so now I'm focusing on being a great Dad, thats given me some meaning and then the rest of the stuff can just be for fun :)
That’s agreeably profound. And in accordance with the intent of the quoted article: have hobbies but don't be pressured by them.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:Only took me 1 minute to read as my hobby is speed reading and I’m really good at it, thanks to all the practice I do.

:-)
I have never caught a whiff of mediocrity around you, Oleg. I’d go as far as saying you have no place in this thread :-)

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I dive headlong into a sport for a few years and then either end up getting bored or burnt out.

Cycling/Triathlon/Powerlifting/ultramarathons

I guess the positive is that this has allowed me to remain injury free, plus getting solid experience in a number of different sports. But staying true to this thread the end result is that I’m fantastically average in all of them; who knows if I could have actually achieved something if I had focused on just one.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

HappyEnding wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
That’s agreeably profound. And in accordance with the intent of the quoted article: have hobbies but don't be pressured by them.
Funnily enough I didn't read the article :rofl: should really get round to that :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

I think about it a lot, and watch a lot of youtube, if only I actually practiced as much..
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

chur wrote:
I think about it a lot, and watch a lot of youtube, if only I actually practiced as much..
This is me too. I think having a band would change things.