Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Its all in the fingers, or is it?

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 857
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 182 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by robthemac »

Voxshall wrote:I stack a lot of different drive pedals but lately I prefer the sound of my amps lead channel and stacking various clean boosts into it, all with different mid profiles for variation. There is just something about incorporating the amp lead channel that feels more alive to me than pedals especially at lower volumes. I also prefer single channel amps over the sound of two or more channels so settled on a well designed cascading gain amp to get the best of both worlds.
Can confirm that Jamie's set-up sounds fantastic. I think he was running a Two Rock combo, which probably helped!

User avatar
dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 4644
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:40 pm
Has liked: 362 times
Been liked: 270 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by dayl »

I've had fun usinga a Bogner Uberschall preamp/Distortion with a Protone Variable attack Overdrive connected for tone shaping (no additional drive). Sounds ok to me.
1999 Peavey Wolfgang Hardtail
2010 LTD SC607B 7 String
2006 Schecter Omen Extreme 7 String
2014 Ibanez RGIR28FE 8 String

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 857
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 182 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by robthemac »

I have a Hotcake and an OCD clone. I've tried stacking with gain on both, and haven't got a result that I've liked. At the moment I use one as a clean boost running into the other set at low-medium gain levels. Turning on the first pedal pushes the second pedal that little bit harder, and can also provide a bit of tone shaping.

The problem is, my LP sounds better with Hocake-->OCD, but my Strat sounds better with OCD--->Hotcake. I just can't win.

User avatar
rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 5842
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:52 pm
Has liked: 98 times
Been liked: 391 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I guess i kind of do. I try to run my amp slightly dirty with all FX in front, including delay and I don't use reverb. OD is stacked on top of a dirty amp and it does sound pretty good.

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 26299
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 3667 times
Been liked: 1955 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote:I have a Hotcake and an OCD clone. I've tried stacking with gain on both, and haven't got a result that I've liked. At the moment I use one as a clean boost running into the other set at low-medium gain levels. Turning on the first pedal pushes the second pedal that little bit harder, and can also provide a bit of tone shaping.

The problem is, my LP sounds better with Hocake-->OCD, but my Strat sounds better with OCD--->Hotcake. I just can't win.
You could make a looper pedal to change the order around as required?

User avatar
robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 857
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:47 pm
Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 182 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by robthemac »

Yeah but I'd need different settings on each pedal if I'm wanting them as boost or overdrive.

I should just play louder.

User avatar
Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 8808
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:33 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 230 times
Been liked: 966 times
Contact:

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by Conway »

robthemac wrote:I should just play louder.
Always the correct answer. :thumbup:

Voxshall
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:01 pm
Location: Auckland
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 136 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by Voxshall »

codedog wrote:
Voxshall wrote:I stack a lot of different drive pedals but lately I prefer the sound of my amps lead channel and stacking various clean boosts into it, all with different mid profiles for variation. There is just something about incorporating the amp lead channel that feels more alive to me than pedals especially at lower volumes. I also prefer single channel amps over the sound of two or more channels so settled on a well designed cascading gain amp to get the best of both worlds.
And which amp would this be?
Two Rock Bloomfield Drive

You can check it out here if interested
https://youtu.be/lVpTrfVvQXo

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 26299
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 3667 times
Been liked: 1955 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by jeremyb »

Discovered this video today...


User avatar
chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Posts: 924
Joined: Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:05 pm
Location: Christchurch
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 139 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by chur »

jeremyb wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:05 pm
Discovered this video today...

I was noodling with the poor man's version of this combo today, a homemade Pantheon clone and a EHX Soul Food into a clean Katana.
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

User avatar
jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Posts: 26299
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:03 am
Has liked: 3667 times
Been liked: 1955 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by jeremyb »

chur wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:55 pm
jeremyb wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:05 pm
Discovered this video today...

I was noodling with the poor man's version of this combo today, a homemade Pantheon clone and a EHX Soul Food into a clean Katana.
My combo at the mo is a Joyo Tauren (Klone) into a Joyo Sweet Baby (Sweet Honey), got a Joyo Tai-chi (Zendrive) coming shortly too!

Post Reply