Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

The slide thread

Post by jeremyb »

Righto, having a bit of a slide appreciation moment currently and need to buy one to learn how... from a bit of reading I get the feeling that a heavy glass slide might be best for electric? I don't really wanna alter the action on my gretsch for this, so hopefully its moderate action will be ok? gonna do the open tuning thing tho', hopefully it won't be too cheesy with 10's on it?
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Re: The slide thread

Post by Vince »

Glass... dunno... might break. Metal is probably more practical. I have a bunch of them (glass, steel, clay, brass...) but the sound diff between the metal ones is not huge.
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Rog
The Self-Proclaimed Voice of Reason
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 57 times

Post by Rog »

I have glass, plastic, chrome and brass slides. I can't tell the difference, either Vince.
He hit a chord that rocked the spinet and disappeared into the infinite ...

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

The slide thread

Post by Eruera »

I have glass and brass jetslides and glass and steel normal slides. I find the brass jetslide best for electric.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I have a glass and a brass and I think there is a huge difference in sound, but then I use them with a good chunk of gain so that may be a factor ..... my action in general is to low and that definitely effects the tone
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

You want something light with that guage, so Pyrex - the ones that look like glass - or a light chrome will probably be best. You're doing yourself no favours learning with a light guage and I've found I actually prefer playing 13's for slide. Cos then I can bash the shit out of them with a great big thick brass slide I have. I often use sockets too on my little finger, cheap and free if you have a socket set.
Buy a selection, they are all different. I got a pair go brass/Pyrex from Ashton (of all brands) that I really like and cheap for 2 slides.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Yep. Gotta say the difference is quite a bit. My main slide for a number of years was a bit of the end of some old M/C handlebars a mate gave me. Still got it. Quite a trebly harsher sounding slide which i like for higher gain stuff. The glass is a Hoolahan style. Much less agressive sounding and warmer and easier on the strings. Also very comfy and you can sort of flick it round your finger to get it out of the way when you dont need it.
Dulop slide.jpg
Dulop slide.jpg (3.23 KiB) Viewed 4472 times
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

handlefras
Gibson
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 1 time

Post by handlefras »

Eruera wrote:I have glass and brass jetslides and glass and steel normal slides. I find the brass jetslide best for electric.
Boom. I had seen one of these (jetslide) in a vid but never knew what it was called and therefore couldn't track one down. Cheers!
Too many guitars, not enough talent.

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

willow13 wrote:I have a glass and a brass and I think there is a huge difference in sound
Yeah, but I don't think I can hear much difference between types of metal slides.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

dunno, I can hear and feel a difference between brass and chrome (especially if its a socket and you rasp the stamped in lettering on the string ;) ) And I have tin ears, theres a definite feel difference too. Theres more difference between light and heavy though. I'm currently gassing for some ceramic ones but I'm loathe to fork out all that cash when the in-laws are potters. So tis a case of paying them a visit one weekend and getting them to help me make a few ;) They are really good, like old glass and nice and light.

Steer clear of the planet waves coricidin bottle types, apparently they are glass but you may as well just use a cheapo pyrex, I thought it was a bit shit. Really pyrex are hit and missy too, some are ok (really impressed with the Ashton) but I have one dunlop thats a bit dead and one thats ok.

I got one of these reversible ones a few weeks ago

but I guess my fingers are a bastard size as I just can't get it comfortable without a sticking plaster :( Good idea but I reckon I can whip my slide off quicker than turn it round.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Thanks guys, some great advice here :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Hot_Grits
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 5 times

Post by Hot_Grits »

For reversible slide, this is what Scott Holliday uses. Seems to work great for him: http://www.jetslide.com/index.shtml

I use a standard Dunlop medium glass slide. Not that it matters much as I am a flat out awful slide player.
jeremyb wrote: Is it true about the bum sex before marriage thing being ok?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Went for a walk at morning tea down to CJ's which is a block or so away from work, got myself a 19mm dunlop brass slide, the smallest Ashton glass or brass ones they had were 22mm, otherwise I would have got those as I intend to use it on my little finger so I can still play notes with the other 3... Missus is away for the weekend, so will have plenty of time on my hands at night to play guitar :mental:

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Vince »

jeremyb wrote:Went for a walk at morning tea down to CJ's which is a block or so away from work, got myself a 19mm dunlop brass slide, the smallest Ashton glass or brass ones they had were 22mm, otherwise I would have got those as I intend to use it on my little finger so I can still play notes with the other 3... Missus is away for the weekend, so will have plenty of time on my hands at night to play guitar :mental:
Starting to sound like a blues song already.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

You know you're getting somewhere when the cat seems less freaked out.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus