Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Re: John Frusciante

Post by Michael »

It doesn't sound like an effect at all. It's just a certain quality the sound has that I really enjoy listening to, and despite my best efforts haven't been able to replicate. I think it is just slight break-up with the rest of the strings muted, with hard strumming. As Cabb said, in the fingers. The I Could Have Lied solo in particular that is. I think the Strip My Mind solo definitely has a good amount of fuzz involved.

Ironbird13
"Resident Cyborg" or something

Post by Ironbird13 »

Khann wrote:It doesn't sound like an effect at all. It's just a certain quality the sound has that I really enjoy listening to, and despite my best efforts haven't been able to replicate. I think it is just slight break-up with the rest of the strings muted, with hard strumming. As Cabb said, in the fingers. The I Could Have Lied solo in particular that is. I think the Strip My Mind solo definitely has a good amount of fuzz involved.
just had a listen to it, and yeah i think its a case of finding the right fuzz, and getting his fingers :wink:
Hurdy Gurdy.... some how... and I'm not entirely certain how mind you, an instrument that sounds like someone has shoved a nest of angry hornets into a goose with a kazoo bill and is randomly slapping the poor creature with an accordion.... Sounds amazing.

Cabb
Tokai
Tokai

Post by Cabb »

I'm pretty sure that wooshy sound is that hendrixy / SRV "stratty" kinda fat sound you get when you slide with lots of left hand pressure. Play harder - having shit gear does NOT help develop this in my experience - so a great excuse to get better gear :). Hold the pick nice and tight too, and use a manly pick.

edit: Actually on second thoughts gain is real important, it might be something to do with compression - out of my league.

But as far as the fingers go, real hard, you can hear at the end of the main solo he plays softer and the notes are cleaner and smaller.

thehenderson
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by thehenderson »

Just go somewhere where you can try a bunch of sweet fuzzes. Bring your ipod with a song of his with tone you want and keep A/Bing till you find it. Easy peasy :D

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

thehenderson wrote:Just go somewhere where you can try a bunch of sweet fuzzes. Bring your ipod with a song of his with tone you want and keep A/Bing till you find it. Easy peasy :D
That's pretty hard, living 30 minutes of Gore, rurally with no car! ;) Great for having amps loud, though... when I get an amp.

I've "past participle of get" tones that I like somewhat with the Big Muff, which I'm sure I would like a lot more if they weren't through an Epi VJ.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

lol @ Jenesis' new avatar.

I think the best start for Frusciante's tone is a super clean strat tone. So I'd say start with a good strat with some nice single coils e.g. Hot Stack or Cruiser and then plug into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe = hooray.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

Just don't forget that tone is in the fingers.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Khann wrote:It doesn't sound like an effect at all. It's just a certain quality the sound has that I really enjoy listening to, and despite my best efforts haven't been able to replicate. I think it is just slight break-up with the rest of the strings muted, with hard strumming. As Cabb said, in the fingers. The I Could Have Lied solo in particular that is. I think the Strip My Mind solo definitely has a good amount of fuzz involved.
I Could Have Lied has one of my favourite solos of all time. Imo playing a convincing version of that solo is ALL about the dynamics. Combine that with having your amp/fuzz/whatever just at the edge of break-up, and your dynamics will push it, or pull it back a bit, at all the right places - and it will sound oh so awesome.

I think I'll go listen to that song now.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

druz15
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 56 times

Post by druz15 »

I could have lied is relatively low gain but his pick attack is really aggressive, that's how you get that sound. I'd say if it's a fuzz it'll be his EHX Muffn with gain quite low just enough to give it a bit of grunt but the rest is all aggressive picking. He's gone through so many different pedals and rigs that it's impossible to keep up.
Ha I have a magazine with an interview with him in it and he says "I don't really like using a lot of effects".
The interview was done during the tour which he used this pedalboard for
these sites might help
http://guitargeek.com/rigview/576/
and THIS one especially
http://www.jftab.com/htm/john-frusciant ... fects.html
BG wrote:I don't care if you worship god or you worship goats cocks

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

NECRO DREDGE!!!! I'm taking over this thread with my love for the Frooshmeister!

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

This is my favourite John performance, love the feel he has in this song....

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Spookily this thread was started a few months before he left the chilis, 15th Dec 2009, now on 15th Dec 2019 he has returned, hallelujah!!!

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 384 times

Post by dayl »

Decade on and its on!

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »

John Frusciantes tone though?

Not too difficult but its all how he smacks the tone out that makes the diff imo. He and flea are a team.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by dayl »