Telecaster Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Telecaster Pickups

Post by GrantB »

robthemac wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:37 pm Twisted Tele is a pretty standard choice in the neck these days, and for good reason.

But I'm a psychopath who actually uses the low-output neck pickups on Telecasters and enjoys it.
I’m the same - twisted Tele bridge is nice but a real neck neck tone needs to not sound like a Strat. To me.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:55 pm
werdna wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:51 pm
Molly wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:38 pm

Which is a bit odd as it's a very Stratty pickup.
Slowy says that they sound nothing like a Strat neck pickup.
That's fightin' talk...

As it 'appens. In the video posted above the talk about the internals of the Twisted Tele neck pickup and explain why it's so incredibly and precisely exactly like and comparable to the most Stratty of all Strat neck pickups since Dave Gilmour played his LP on Brick in the Wall.
I've had a bunch of Tele pups. For a long time, Lollar Special T was my go to. But now, I'm a Nocaster /TT fan. I use the Nocaster bridge about 70% ofthe time. The twusted Tele to my ears has a lovely bluesy vocal voice. Yes I know it's supposed to be Stratty but I'd be happy to own a Strat that sounded like this.
And I couldn't do without the Baja switching either; best live rig tonal palette I've ever heard.

YMMV.

"comparable to the most Stratty of all Strat neck pickups since Dave Gilmour played his LP on Brick in the Wall."

WTF does this even mean? :wtf:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:43 pm
Molly wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:55 pm
werdna wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:51 pm
Slowy says that they sound nothing like a Strat neck pickup.
That's fightin' talk...

As it 'appens. In the video posted above the talk about the internals of the Twisted Tele neck pickup and explain why it's so incredibly and precisely exactly like and comparable to the most Stratty of all Strat neck pickups since Dave Gilmour played his LP on Brick in the Wall.
I've had a bunch of Tele pups. For a long time, Lollar Special T was my go to. But now, I'm a Nocaster /TT fan. I use the Nocaster bridge about 70% ofthe time. The twusted Tele to my ears has a lovely bluesy vocal voice. Yes I know it's supposed to be Stratty but I'd be happy to own a Strat that sounded like this.
And I couldn't do without the Baja switching either; best live rig tonal palette I've ever heard.

YMMV.

"comparable to the most Stratty of all Strat neck pickups since Dave Gilmour played his LP on Brick in the Wall."

WTF does this even mean? :wtf:
Just a joke about that wonderful P90 neck pickup tone that for years, and I'm not alone in this, I thought was the quintessential Strat tone.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:37 pm
robthemac wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:37 pm Twisted Tele is a pretty standard choice in the neck these days, and for good reason.

But I'm a psychopath who actually uses the low-output neck pickups on Telecasters and enjoys it.
I’m the same - twisted Tele bridge is nice but a real neck neck tone needs to not sound like a Strat. To me.
I thought the twisted Tele neck pickup was quite Strat like until I got a Strat :lol: it’s still a great sounding neck pickup though.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:25 am

I thought the twisted Tele neck pickup was quite Strat like until I got a Strat :lol: it’s still a great sounding neck pickup though.
I have a guitar that sounds like a Strat (because it's a Strat). I want my Tele to sound like a Tele. Even on the neck pickup.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

robthemac wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:36 am
jeremyb wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:25 am

I have a guitar that sounds like a Strat (because it's a Strat). I want my Tele to sound like a Tele. Even on the neck pickup.
I'm with Jb. My TT doesn't sound like any Strat I've ever met, regardless of what it's supposed to be.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Hmm, mine was very Strat like…ah well, got a V V G in there now. Love Pete’s work.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Check the switch first, and replace it if necessary. Often a "broken pickup" is a just a dry solder joint, or a switch that isn't working as it should (Even on USA Fender.)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Starfire wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:23 pm I’d look at something from Cavalier or Q pickups.
Q pickups in my Strat. Can highly recommend.

Likely wouldn't have chosen them / taken a punt if it were up to me but GrantB put the guitar together and chose the pickups. So glad he did. :-)

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

I dropped a Joe Barden (Modern-T bridge) and Dimarzio (Area-T neck) into my American Deluxe Tele, and had a 4-way switch for humbucker option installed. Was a massive upgrade and I have seen no reason to change in years.

Fender Noiseless for Tele's are pretty dull/flat in my opinion.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Agreed. Pretty lifeless IMHO.

MogwaiBoy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 157 times
Been liked: 242 times

Post by MogwaiBoy »

Molly wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:14 pm
MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:35 pm

Agreed. Pretty lifeless IMHO.
Yeah! There's just something so unexciting about how they sound - robs that necessary sparkle that a Tele needs. It seems the hum removal comes at a cost. However, Dimarzio Area's are also similarly "noiseless" but they sound like an actual Tele.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

They are darker due to the dummy coil, this is why some Fender Noiseless pickups come with 500k or even 1meg pots in order to bring back some of the highs that with stock 250k pots just aren't there.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robnobcorncob wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:59 pm They are darker due to the dummy coil, this is why some Fender Noiseless pickups come with 500k or even 1meg pots in order to bring back some of the highs that with stock 250k pots just aren't there.
Right, and with the 1meg pots I think they work quite well. They sound quite percussive to me, but that can be a good thing.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

I like the American Vintage pickups.

Nice combination in my tele.
Wellington