Learn me on P-90 Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 221 times

Re: Learn me on P-90 Pickups

Post by IMOCD »

.... and the other talks to the Devil.[/quote]

Great story and a great way to describe what a good good p90 is capable of in the right hands. Jared James Nichols knows how to summon the devil himself with a single p90.

https://youtu.be/Py8LWpKU4MA

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

That's a nice bit of playing in that opening session. The black Epi looks cool too.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote:
Slowy wrote:Absolutely agree with Terexgeek and IMOCD.
I'm no P90 expert but I have 2 current impressions, the Reverend 3x p90 posted elsewhere and this thing:
P90's vary...a lot. Define your sound and look for pups tuned that way. I have 2 P90 guitars in reach. One channels Knopfler and the other talks to the Devil.
Interesting. Would it be too much to ask for the neck pickup to channel Knopfler, and the bridge to channel the Devil? Come to think of it, it will end up sounding like 2 guitars.
Could be.... If you did that, I speculate P4 would be the wildcard. Cannot imagine what the blend of low and high output pups would be.
But you'd definitely have a guitar of two halves. And that sounds like someone's perfect rig to me.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Sorry another gushy love my p90s post. These two are made for eachother. Stock p90s back in for now, and they sound good. I had a pair Dimarzio noise cancelling p90s in there but will flick em and try something new.

Have you checked out the Lollar 50s winds? I have GAS
Last edited by Cdog on Mon May 25, 2020 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

You can still buy original P90's from Gibson rather than looking for copies.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Pickups DO vary wildly, and P90's are no exception.

IME, many, many P90's go too much for "fat" and end up "bloated". In my opinion, the Epiphone P90's in the past were godawful. I have no idea what the current ones are like.

My fave P90's are just vanilla ol' Gibson P90's...I like them more than Duncans or Lollars. They are a wonderful mix of FAT and BRIGHT. I love them!
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

^^^^^ This
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Around 20:30 mark there's a comparison between Gibson and the current Epi LP Special.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

handsoffmatt wrote:Pickups DO vary wildly, and P90's are no exception.

IME, many, many P90's go too much for "fat" and end up "bloated". In my opinion, the Epiphone P90's in the past were godawful. I have no idea what the current ones are like.

My fave P90's are just vanilla ol' Gibson P90's...I like them more than Duncans or Lollars. They are a wonderful mix of FAT and BRIGHT. I love them!
Not that I'm going to change my pickups yet but I did check out the Gibson ones. I could only find them from Gibson website. The shipping alone is over 100 USD! Yikes!

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Agree re Gibson P90’s still very relevant. They are different from the 50’s ones though, which are usually more aggressive and honky. Modern ones, to my ears, are A more even Tone.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

GrantB wrote:Agree re Gibson P90’s still very relevant. They are different from the 50’s ones though, which are usually more aggressive and honky. Modern ones, to my ears, are A more even Tone.
Just from that comparison video above I quite liked the sound of the Gibson ones. I assume those are modern? Still, they seem expensive to bring in just on the shipping alone.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Yep...they used to be easy to purchase aftermarket. Not so much these days. Maybe ring MusicPlanet to see if they have any old stock? Or Rock Shop? At various times they have carried them.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

codedog wrote:
GrantB wrote:Agree re Gibson P90’s still very relevant. They are different from the 50’s ones though, which are usually more aggressive and honky. Modern ones, to my ears, are A more even Tone.
Just from that comparison video above I quite liked the sound of the Gibson ones. I assume those are modern? Still, they seem expensive to bring in just on the shipping alone.
I too think Gibson got it right with the p90's and have no desire to swap brands (and that's coming from a habitual pickup changer)
Dunno....maybe a mag swap in the epi pups might be worth a punt. I'm guessing they would be ceramic and could/would benefit from some Alnico goodness..might get you in the ballpark. This could also address the imbalance between bridge and neck with differering strength mags. e.g A2/3 in the neck and A5 in the bridge.

HackSaw
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 145 times
Been liked: 519 times

Post by HackSaw »

Good a thread as any to ask my question. I have the 2019 SG special, P90’s. Has the pcb wiring thing, which I’ve no doubt I wouldn’t even know if I didn’t open it up. However now I know, and I don’t like it! Give me old school (esp 50s wiring). I’ll go for a kit though given my skills with a soldering iron. How does this look?

https://jacksonelectronicluthier.com/sg ... 22uf-caps/

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by IMOCD »

HackSaw wrote:Good a thread as any to ask my question. I have the 2019 SG special, P90’s. Has the pcb wiring thing, which I’ve no doubt I wouldn’t even know if I didn’t open it up. However now I know, and I don’t like it! Give me old school (esp 50s wiring). I’ll go for a kit though given my skills with a soldering iron. How does this look?

https://jacksonelectronicluthier.com/sg ... 22uf-caps/
This would be my choice personally. Love how you can swap pups in and out without soldering. Great company to deal with too.

https://tonelounge.co.nz/traditional-vi ... -les-paul/