Mr Glyns Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Mr Glyns Pickups

Post by StratMatt »

Zaulkin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:47 pm Both nickel. For my OCD's sake.
Double white it is :rofl: nah I hear ya, maybe I need to do the neck too. Glyn already rewound this neck pu though..
Loving it so far

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

I'm just thinking about my next guitar to have pickups from Mr Glyn that would complement my existing guitars.

I have a G&L Tribute Legacy - strat tones. I like the pickups but I can always upgrade them to a set of Bellbirds later.
I have a Radian Les Paul loaded with 'Black Sand' P90-in-humbucker casing pickups.
I have a Greg Bennett Royale-3 that will be loaded with "Integrity" PAF humbuckers.

What would be a set of pickups you folks would recommend to complement the existing 3?

I want all of my guitars to be unitaskers, that is, I want each of them to play and sound as different as they can. I'm also conscious I have two guitars with single coils and only one with humbuckers, so I thought I would get another humbucker guitar to even the playing field.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Only other thing I would add is maybe a tele with some of his hot tele pickups :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:00 pm I'm just thinking about my next guitar to have pickups from Mr Glyn that would complement my existing guitars.

I have a G&L Tribute Legacy - strat tones. I like the pickups but I can always upgrade them to a set of Bellbirds later.
I have a Radian Les Paul loaded with 'Black Sand' P90-in-humbucker casing pickups.
I have a Greg Bennett Royale-3 that will be loaded with "Integrity" PAF humbuckers.

What would be a set of pickups you folks would recommend to complement the existing 3?

I want all of my guitars to be unitaskers, that is, I want each of them to play and sound as different as they can. I'm also conscious I have two guitars with single coils and only one with humbuckers, so I thought I would get another humbucker guitar to even the playing field.
I'm doing a similar thing. I have a Strat with three traditional Strat pickups, a guitar with two P90s, a 335 with PAF-style humbuckers and I'm putting together one with Gretsch-style pickups. Trons might be a good fit for you too.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:11 pm
jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:00 pm I'm just thinking about my next guitar to have pickups from Mr Glyn that would complement my existing guitars.

I'm doing a similar thing. I have a Strat with three traditional Strat pickups, a guitar with two P90s, a 335 with PAF-style humbuckers and I'm putting together one with Gretsch-style pickups. Trons might be a good fit for you too.
You wouldn't rather go for a high-output set of humbuckers (e.g. Attitudes or Cloud Nine)?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Was listening to The Guitar Knobs Podcast interview with Glyn, he used to teach guitar making back in the UK and one of his students became the dude behind Manson guitars!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

jhyang549 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:15 pm
robthemac wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:11 pm

You wouldn't rather go for a high-output set of humbuckers (e.g. Attitudes or Cloud Nine)?
Nah. That's what a boost pedal is for.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Filtertrons
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai

Post by jhyang549 »

I'm gonna be a dumb-dumb and go for a set of Attitudes. I may regret it later. But hey, if I'm wrong then that means another guitar for me loaded with filtertrons. Pfft. Who cares about money, time and space?

My plan is to get them installed to a designated metal guitar tuned to D standard with heavy gauge strings. very different to all my other electric guitars.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

jhyang549 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:01 pm I'm gonna be a dumb-dumb and go for a set of Attitudes. I may regret it later. But hey, if I'm wrong then that means another guitar for me loaded with filtertrons. Pfft. Who cares about money, time and space?

My plan is to get them installed to a designated metal guitar tuned to D standard with heavy gauge strings. very different to all my other electric guitars.
Definitely let us know what you think of them.

I'm finding the higher output JB isn't working as well in my LP as it did in my Eclipse. Might look at an Integrity set for it instead. Though the Slash video wants me to put in some Alnico Pros haha.
Loving it so far

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:17 pm Was listening to The Guitar Knobs Podcast interview with Glyn, he used to teach guitar making back in the UK and one of his students became the dude behind Manson guitars!
Played a Manson parlor on the weekend - assuming Andy Manson and the Manson you're referring to are the same.

What a lovely wee thing.

Such tone and playability even for my clumsy hands.
Wellington

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

vintage52 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:06 am
jeremyb wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:17 pm Was listening to The Guitar Knobs Podcast interview with Glyn, he used to teach guitar making back in the UK and one of his students became the dude behind Manson guitars!
Played a Manson parlor on the weekend - assuming Andy Manson and the Manson you're referring to are the same.

What a lovely wee thing.

Such tone and playability even for my clumsy hands.
Glyn's student was Tim Stark, who works at (Hugh) Manson. They build electrics. Matt from Muse is a majority owner these days.

Hugh's brother Andy Manson is the Acoustic builder, now living in Portugal. He's well known for the multi neck acoustic instruments he made for John Paul Jones in the '70s.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I'd like to put Filtertrons in my Gretsch to replace the Black Top Broad'Tron's, but I can't find any cheap enough.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:33 am I'd like to put Filtertrons in my Gretsch to replace the Black Top Broad'Tron's, but I can't find any cheap enough.
I have some Black Tops to go into my G5122 to replace the no name HBs that are in there.

Was looking at some Filtertrons as well but they above my pay scale at the moment. :lol:

Just need to find someone in Wellington to do the swap and find out what parts I need to make it happen.
Wellington

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:33 am I'd like to put Filtertrons in my Gretsch to replace the Black Top Broad'Tron's, but I can't find any cheap enough.
I've been there. It is the one pickup type where I'd say bite the bullet and get the real thing...or TV Jones.