Mr Glyns Pickups

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Re: Mr Glyns Pickups

Post by robthemac »

I went boooteek cos Filtertrons were too bloody expensive. Glyn wasn't making them at this stage.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Candeevr4
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 265 times

Post by Candeevr4 »

vintage52 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:08 am
sizzlingbadger wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:33 am I'd like to put Filtertrons in my Gretsch to replace the Black Top Broad'Tron's, but I can't find any cheap enough.
I have some Black Tops to go into my G5122 to replace the no name HBs that are in there.

Was looking at some Filtertrons as well but they above my pay scale at the moment. :lol:

Just need to find someone in Wellington to do the swap and find out what parts I need to make it happen.
Rob?

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

robthemac wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:37 am I went boooteek cos Filtertrons were too bloody expensive. Glyn wasn't making them at this stage.
What did you get? And how do you rate it?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Some from Porter pickups. Haven't set them up yet as I wasn't happy with my efforts when it came to spraying nitro.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

Mr Glyn's pickups are priced around about or below new sets of Seymour Duncan, DiMarzio, Bareknuckle etc at local music retailers. They sound great, made locally, and his customer service is pretty good.

I thought about going to Tone Riders instead but I don't trust them to be as good as Mr Glyn's pickups. Sure, probably not twice as good when comparing price but I just feel I would want to upgrade them again if I get a set of Tone Riders.

jhyang549
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 201 times

Post by jhyang549 »

I've got my Greg Bennett semi-hollow body finally loaded with Mr Glyn's "Integrity" PAF humbuckers.

They sound bloody marvelous compared to the Duncan Designed 59s I've had before. I'm very chuffed with them. Thank you, Mr Glyn! I'll be happy to buy more pickups from him in the near future.

It was installed by the lovely Ramsay Phillips - sooner than I expected (he looked like he had a massive backlog when I dropped the guitar off). Again, I will be asking for his services in the near future.

I feel privileged to live in the same city as two people at the mastery of their respective crafts.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Great choice man, Glyn is a magician!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Installed a Cloud 9 into my Horizon today. Clear under high gain, articulate, great harmonics and cleans up well. The man knows how to make a pickup, that's for sure. Better than I can describe one anyway.
Loving it so far

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

The Cloud 9 really is great - exactly as you describe

TmcB
I may have a problem
Has liked: 653 times
Been liked: 556 times

Post by TmcB »

Alright, here we go.
Got sick of researching every Tele pickup on the planet and thought I’d throw some gold at a well priced and local option.

Ordered a set of Cruel Mistress’ for my Tele.

Also might get a Cool 90 for the neck later.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".
Family Music Store - http://familymusic.co.nz

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

TmcB wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:54 pm Alright, here we go.
Got sick of researching every Tele pickup on the planet and thought I’d throw some gold at a well priced and local option.

Also might get a Cool 90 for the neck later.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

I've got that set in my partscaster. They sound awesome. You won't be disappointed.
Nothing to see here.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Miza wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 am

I've got that set in my partscaster. They sound awesome. You won't be disappointed.
Ah great to know. The demos aren't particularly helpful – Brett Kingman was too clean and the other ones were buried in effects.
GrantB wrote:Tony, your taste is, as always, very refined. Or as HG would say, "bloody awful".

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

TmcB wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:48 am
Miza wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:28 am

Ah great to know. The demos aren't particularly helpful – Brett Kingman was too clean and the other ones were buried in effects.
Yeah, they've got just the right about of bite without being 'hot' pickups. Probably in a similar vein to the ones in my MIA Standard (Twisted Tele?). But then I'm no expert, just like what I like.
Nothing to see here.

TmcB
I may have a problem

Post by TmcB »

Righteo, Cruel Mistress set has landed and lovingly swapped into my 2009 USA Tele
357777A6-B390-46AA-B30A-466B6AA4F6EF.jpeg
357777A6-B390-46AA-B30A-466B6AA4F6EF.jpeg (2.89 MiB) Viewed 2174 times
Off the bat, the pickups are interesting- the neck you can see the exposed wiring under the metal cover, and the bridge has beveled magnets on the top, and a nice solid steel plate. All see high quality and lightyears away from the absolute trash that was in there previously. USA bridge pickup was harsh and muddy somehow at the same time and they didn’t even bother with a back plate. Both neck a bridge seemed to have some random giant screws in the base for whatever reason. Neck pickup wasn’t bad though.

Also, wiring had several ground solder lugs and wire distributed throughout, no doubt to aid in assembly but kinda pointless. I took the liberty to remove the extra crap, shield the control cavity, create a single star ground and remove all the back of the pot grounding trash. With the shielding it basically means you only have one ground wire, one output wire, and the two hot pickup wires going to the plate with everything else going to the star ground. It is WAY quieter and far easier to service/pickup swap.

Glyn had added a complementary treble bleed to the package so I added that to the volume whilst also doing the 50’s wiring thing. It’s really good!

Ok, pickup sounds. Gorgeous, articulate, sweet, bit of grunt but no ice pick, depth without muddiness, clear but have snarl if you dig in, beautifully balanced as a set. I was a bit worried that it might be a little underpowered but it’s not - it’s just a refined higher output set with enough balls and output to get rocky but cleans up perfectly to twang away. Previously I’ve generally headed towards waaaaay over powered with Dimarzio Area T Hot, Cavalier Dual Lion/Firebird Neck, Chopper T with humbucker in Neck, or a bit more refined with Lawrence
Keystones and Twisted Tele/Broadcaster combo.

This set sits between those two extremes with a bit more pinch but nowhere near the excessive brawn those other sets have had. I have been very pleasantly surprised by how on point Glyn’s recommendation were too - I had mentioned I liked more ambient/rocky tones through an AC30. I would say that the demos don’t really do them much justice in all honesty.

Taking a punt on the local dude was an excellent choice and I do recommend anyone to give them a crack - these are Lollar/Fralin level boutique quality.