Classic electric solid body guitar pickup comparison.

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Philip_J_Fry
Stagg
Stagg
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Been liked: 13 times

Re: Classic electric solid body guitar pickup comparison.

Post by Philip_J_Fry »

I have given you many amicable ways out of letting this thread lie idle and just letting it die a natural death but you won't allow it to will you?

You appear to be suffering from some sort of illusory superiority to all around you by overestimate your abilities relative to other people.
This has happened because of you badly misjudging your cognitive abilities as being far greater than they actually are.
It is this inability to understand your own incompetence that leads you to this over inflated sense of self-assessment and ability.
And so you have to strive to make other people believe how knowledgeable you are by confrontation and that's the tactic of the much hated school bully.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Philip_J_Fry wrote:I have given you many amicable ways out of letting this thread lie idle and just letting it die a natural death but you won't allow it to will you?

You appear to be suffering from some sort of illusory superiority to all around you by overestimate your abilities relative to other people.
This has happened because of you badly misjudging your cognitive abilities as being far greater than they actually are.
It is this inability to understand your own incompetence that leads you to this over inflated sense of self-assessment and ability.
And so you have to strive to make other people believe how knowledgeable you are by confrontation and that's the tactic of the much hated school bully.

wow you love to type big long paragraphs but won't answer a very simple question, which tells me all I need to know. So thank you for backing up all my statements in this thread..

oh and you were the one who told me I could have the last word a few posts ago so I did. Given you didn't answer the question I asked twice now I'm not sure why you felt compelled to reply at all
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Philip_J_Fry
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Philip_J_Fry »

When are you going to produce the Scientific evidence I asked for ages ago?

I'll try writing in shorter sentences and not use big words in future so as to make it easier for you.
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Philip_J_Fry wrote:When are you going to produce the Scientific evidence I asked for ages ago?

I'll try writing in shorter sentences and not use big words in future so as to make it easier for you.
don't worry "mate" I read quite well so type away.

the "scientific evidence" is there in plain sight. Why do guitar makers use different woods to build guitars? THERE is your evidence right there, if all wood sounds the same and makes no difference then every company would just use the cheapest wood they can find and then just clue a pretty veneer on it to give it some bling

do you honestly think that if you took the pickups out of that hollow body you post the other day and put them in a les paul that you will have the exact same tone through an amp :?: .... really

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Settle down guys.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

willow13 wrote:
Philip_J_Fry wrote:I have given you many amicable ways out of letting this thread lie idle and just letting it die a natural death but you won't allow it to will you?

wow you love to type big long paragraphs but won't answer a very simple question, which tells me all I need to know. So thank you for backing up all my statements in this thread..

oh and you were the one who told me I could have the last word a few posts ago so I did. Given you didn't answer the question I asked twice now I'm not sure why you felt compelled to reply at all
Pedantic and pointless.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Capt. Black wrote:Settle down guys.
i'm not getting heated at all capt .... maybe you can help me understand this. If you put strat pick ups in your les paul and cranked it through your marshalls its going to sound like a strat right :?:

:idea:

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

I’ve done something similar as an experiment. Basically it sounds different, but that was because the sustain etc varies based on the wood - is the way the string itself reacts based on the rigidity of the bracing it is held in changes. At the end of the day it’s still a piece of wire moving through a magnetic field, so that part doesn’t vary based on wood. But how the string behaves definitely changes, resulting in a difference in what comes out as the sound. Even the run length thru the nut to the tuner affects the end product.

I’m sure this has been (scientifically) done to death, and 2 min on YT would unearth a bunch of research.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Capt. Black »

willow13 wrote:
i'm not getting heated at all capt .... maybe you can help me understand this. If you put strat pick ups in your les paul and cranked it through your marshalls its going to sound like a strat right :?:

Given enough distortion, probably.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Here's my take... body, wood, neck, bridge and everything physical that makes up the guitar removes energy from the vibrating strings. Therefore the vibration of the strings is altered by the combination of the guitar's parts. Two "identically" constructed guitars can sound different because they are NOT really identical - the wood is the main variant. The energy left in the strings is vibrating in the magnetic field of the pickups, it disrupts that field and that "changing" magnetic field generates a tiny electrical current in the copper coil as it cuts across it. Which we then amplify. Different pickups (i.e. differences in winding length, magnet strength and a bunch of other variables that combine to cause differences in the pickup's reluctance & capacitance) changes the frequency response of the pickup. This is why different pickups on the exact same guitar sound different. The only way IMO to compare pickups is by installing them on the same guitar.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Mike Clayton wrote:The only way IMO to compare pickups is by installing them on the same guitar.
which takes us back to one of my earlier points .. this is the only way to "hear" the difference in pickups

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Capt. Black wrote:
willow13 wrote:

Given enough distortion, probably.
:shock:

shit stirrer

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Its not just the wood...

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Its not just the wood...
oh jesus :rofl:

Ok lets put a nail in this can of worms dropped into a rabbit hole .... 90% of your "SOUND" comes from your hands ... all the rest falls into the other 10% at what ever the hell % you choose to believe

if you think I am being a bully or what ever the hell else I was being called earlier then jump on your google machine and look up Joe joe satriani playing a squire or what ever it is into like a peavey and wow it still sounds like him. There are 1,000,000,000,000 example like this on the yous tubes so there is the science (remember all science is based on interpretation of the evidence)...cool :?:

:moresarc: :moresarc: :moresarc:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Jeez this is boring.
Back to your corners lads; there's nothing here worth arguing about and nobody is going to win. :roll:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.