Classic electric solid body guitar pickup comparison.

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: Classic electric solid body guitar pickup comparison.

Post by Cdog »

sizzlingbadger wrote:You only need P90's the others are just a distraction :moresarc:
If I could take one pickup to a desert island... :)

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Good news, I can score a plastic guitar with a humbucker and so long as I use enough distortion, it will sound as good as a Gibson '59!
I am loving the education.
Tin arse!!

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Philip_J_Fry wrote:

OK, have it your way but don't give me the Smoke and Mirrors of the "tonewood" argument when it comes to electric guitars.....
Some musicians swear that one "tonewood" is far better than another with out a shred of empirical evidence only their own biased views on the subject. It's a bit like the 'Audiophile' who swears black is white that the speaker cable he has just bought for $100 a foot makes his HiFi sound better as does the mains lead costing 1000's of $ https://eandt.theiet.org/content/articl ... ntroduced/

While the woods and materials involved do affect the sound, its so slight that most people could never tell the difference.
You may notice different wood sustains for longer, but that's all.
The pickups and strings are what really control your sound on the electrics, as does other factors such as pickup height, string gauge/type, etc not to mention the type of amp used and how you play the guitar, do you use a pick or not, etc.

If someone claims that pickups pick any of guitar's body vibrations, try using nylon strings on your electric guitar and you will hear nothing from your amp, unless it's a piezo pickup.

In an electric guitar, the signal is generated in pickups by disturbing its magnetic field with metal strings.

Another test is to turn the volume down to zero and touch something that resonates and is made of wood preferably, cupboard, wardrobe or similar with your guitar's head-stock while playing. You will easily hear that while touching the cupboard, vibrations are transferred to it so thus the guitar becomes more audible acoustic-wise. By touching the cupboard, your guitar becomes one with the cupboard and resonates as one big acoustic instrument. Now, turn the guitar and amp on and do the same thing: play a chord, listen how it sounds and while it is still ringing out, touch the cupboard with the herad-stock again, you will hear NO difference from the amp, no matter how the guitar sounds acoustically because the sound is coming from the pickups and strings only, nothing to do with the wood!

Does changing the material a microphone stand is made of change the 'tone' of the microphone output when it picks up a sound of any type or when a vocalist takes the microphone out of the stand and holds it manually, does he/she sound any differently?

Acrylic, Lucite, & Plexiglass guitars, they all work fine, no wood in them bodies.
wow so you assume because you can't hear a difference that it does not exist :?: ... mate maybe your ears are just shit, have you considered that :?:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Terexgeek wrote:Good news, I can score a plastic guitar with a humbucker and so long as I use enough distortion, it will sound as good as a Gibson '59!
mate you don't even need distortion apparently, just hold it against a cardboard box

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

willow13 wrote:
Terexgeek wrote:Good news, I can score a plastic guitar with a humbucker and so long as I use enough distortion, it will sound as good as a Gibson '59!
mate you don't even need distortion apparently, just hold it against a cardboard box
Cool, I'll chuck the Katana on Trademe, I've got a whole bunch of cardboard boxes in the garage.
Tin arse!!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I'll sell you a NOS box at mates rates. It's made of vintage cardboard, old growth. Not like that new shit.

Philip_J_Fry
Stagg
Stagg
Been liked: 13 times

Post by Philip_J_Fry »

willow13 wrote:
wow so you assume because you can't hear a difference that it does not exist :?: ... mate maybe your ears are just shit, have you considered that :?:
Doesn't that kinda shoot your "tone"argument down in flames?
'Cause what's the point of having a difference you can't hear when "Oh, it affects the tone" is your argument?

And for your assumption that my ears are "shit" you are, like your tone wood argument in solid guitars, totally erroneous in your misplaced and unfounded assumption.... that is unless of course you are an Otologist and 'Shit' is actually a medical term I'm not familiar with.

Oh, you also quoted... "yes wood does make a difference..coming from someone who builds guitars.....but a lot of that is negated when you plug into an amp depending on gain etc".
So then, could you please tell me in which retail outlets I could peruse examples of your work?

If wood makes a difference other than how much vibrational energy it absorbs which only affects sustain, then please feel more than free to show me the scientific proof and not just hearsay.

I think you have made your point quite clear on several occasions in this thread, you think that I should not have posted the Vid in the first place as it offends you or your beliefs in some way shape or form.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Lets just leave it at that shall we or do you have some underlying desire to extend this puerile school yard pissing contest?

I think I've said all I can be bothered to on this subject so please be my guest and have the last word.
Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Mmm... Toxic.

Philip_J_Fry
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Philip_J_Fry »

NippleWrestler wrote:Mmm... Toxic.
But a lot more polite than it could have been.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Philip_J_Fry wrote:
Doesn't that kinda shoot your "tone"argument down in flames?
'Cause what's the point of having a difference you can't hear when "Oh, it affects the tone" is your argument?

um no because I said "you" ... I can hear the difference in tone woods. I think your understanding of english is maybe as bad as your hearing

And for your assumption that my ears are "shit" you are, like your tone wood argument in solid guitars, totally erroneous in your misplaced and unfounded assumption.... that is unless of course you are an Otologist and 'Shit' is actually a medical term I'm not familiar with.

No I think you posting this video pretty much proves my "assumption" that your ears are shit...and yes that is a medical term in the guitar world

Oh, you also quoted... "yes wood does make a difference..coming from someone who builds guitars.....but a lot of that is negated when you plug into an amp depending on gain etc".
So then, could you please tell me in which retail outlets I could peruse examples of your work?

am more than happy to sell you one of my guitar mate...just wait a few weeks and i'll make on out of dog hair for the ultimate tone

If wood makes a difference other than how much vibrational energy it absorbs which only affects sustain, then please feel more than free to show me the scientific proof and not just hearsay.

I think you have made your point quite clear on several occasions in this thread, you think that I should not have posted the Vid in the first place as it offends you or your beliefs in some way shape or form.

Well, you are entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine.

Lets just leave it at that shall we or do you have some underlying desire to extend this puerile school yard pissing contest?

I think I've said all I can be bothered to on this subject so please be my guest and have the last word.

thanks I will have the last word, but it is going to be a question......if you put strat single coils in a les paul will it still sound like a strat :?:

thanks for your time
Last edited by willow13 on Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Philip_J_Fry wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:Mmm... Toxic.
But a lot more polite than it could have been.
Noted. And appreciated.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

"Does changing the material a microphone stand is made of change the 'tone' of the microphone ?"

This is one of the best new flamewar topics ever! 8)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Philip_J_Fry
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Philip_J_Fry »

@willow13
So I see you still feel the need to persist with the childish confrontational personal attacks.
So then I can infer from your comment that you aren't really a Luthier are you.
Please stop calling me 'mate', I am NOT your mate.
So still presenting no scientific evidence to back up your claims then?

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Philip_J_Fry wrote:@willow13
So I see you still feel the need to persist with the childish confrontational personal attacks.
Please stop calling me 'mate', I am NOT your mate.
So still presenting no scientific evidence to back up your claims then?

I thought you were "done"?

so i'll ask again..if you put single coil strat pickup in a les paul will it sound like a strat :?: .. not a hard question to answer

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Philip_J_Fry wrote:@willow13

didn't say I was a luthier ... but I do make guitars. Have made plenty of posts on here with them in it. Still haven't made one out of 2 minute noodles yet so probably won't interest you