Strat restlessness

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Strat restlessness

Post by Cdog »

Was listening to Wicked Game by Chris Isaak this morning... I just can't get that beautiful haunting guitar line out of my head! ♥♥♥

Currently I have a set of CS Texas Specials in all 3 positions in my poor old strat... I'd like to try something a little less 'Texas'... that will clean up nicer than what I have currently, particularly in Neck and Mid. Anything anyone has tried & can recommend? :)

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Strat restlessness

Post by Molly »

Cdog wrote:Was listening to Wicked Game by Chris Isaak this morning... I just can't get that beautiful haunting guitar line out of my head! ♥♥♥

Currently I have a set of CS Texas Specials in all 3 positions in my poor old strat... I'd like to try something a little less 'Texas'... that will clean up nicer than what I have currently, particularly in Neck and Mid. Anything anyone has tried & can recommend? :)
I have a set of CS 69s. These might be just the ticket. Was going to put them in the AVRI but rather like the 57/62s that are in there.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

You want to borrow a strat to try something different? I have many options!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

What amp are you using? I think, for that particular sound, the amp and reverb are more important than the pickups.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

olegmcnoleg wrote:What amp are you using? I think, for that particular sound, the amp and reverb are more important than the pickups.
Oleg makes a good point. What are you using at the moment?

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

thought this was a Molly post about his new Strat

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

You need a a Twin or at the least a DR to get that tone. Any Strat will get you close. It's the amp and reverb IMO.

Great song.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Thanks for the responses lads! 8)
Molly wrote:I have a set of CS 69s. These might be just the ticket. Was going to put them in the AVRI but rather like the 57/62s that are in there.
Tempting... I'll check out some demos, thanks mate.
kdawg2a wrote:You want to borrow a strat to try something different? I have many options!
Matt I'd love to take you up on that offer... Perhaps I could swing by sometime?
olegmcnoleg wrote:What amp are you using? I think, for that particular sound, the amp and reverb are more important than the pickups.
Cheers Mark! I'm not really trying to replicate that sound, it was just a catalyst to try something different (basically with less BBQ sauce). In saying that I did read some interesting chatter on TGP and FDP where the recording of that track was discussed in more detail.

Basically the TS have a 'sound' I've never been 100% satified with... I bought the strat in 96, and it came with them back then... However my tastes seem to have changed since high school haha . I tried some Dimarzios for a few years before reverting to the TS. To answer your question I play with AC15 with Celestion Blue and 18wTMB with Scumback H75.
Last edited by Cdog on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

GrantB wrote:You need a a Twin or at the least a DR to get that tone. Any Strat will get you close. It's the amp and reverb IMO.

Great song.
It is a great song! Which brings me to my next miff about the TS... The staggered pole pieces make the B string much quieter than the other strings too. (This has always ticked me off!) Wicked game uses an open B string for the hook! :lol:

Obviously the pole piece stagger is part of the sound, but I'd love to try something with more even string dynamics

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

PM me and we can sort something out.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Cdog wrote:Thanks for the responses lads! 8)
Molly wrote:I have a set of CS 69s. These might be just the ticket. Was going to put them in the AVRI but rather like the 57/62s that are in there.
Tempting... I'll check out some demos, thanks mate.
kdawg2a wrote:You want to borrow a strat to try something different? I have many options!
Matt I'd love to take you up on that offer... Perhaps I could swing by sometime?
Cheers Mark! I'm not really trying to replicate that sound, it was just a catalyst to try something different (basically with less BBQ sauce). In saying that I did read some interesting chatter on TGP and FDP where the recording of that track was discussed in more detail.

Basically the TS have a 'sound' I've never been 100% satified with... I bought the strat in 96, and it came with them back then... However my tastes seem to have changed since high school haha . I tried some Dimarzios for a few years before reverting to the TS. To answer your question I play with AC15 with Celestion Blue and 18wTMB with Scumback H75.
This I totally get, I had a set once and I really did not like them...too much mud for me. I'd rather get the overdrive I need from a pedal. I'd go for a set of Lollar Dirty Blonds if I were you. They give you a bit of hair on the bridge pickup, otherwise, a lovely vintage tone. The Fender CS 62's are also great.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

a repost of somebody elses but I love jamming to this as a backing track,

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

What you're basically saying Corey is you need a tele :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

jeremyb wrote:What you're basically saying Corey is you need a tele :mrgreen:
Wot... like dis? :thumbup:

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

/thread
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.