Single coils to go with SD Sh-11

Talk about your Burstbuckers and Seymour Duncans....

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 29 times

Single coils to go with SD Sh-11

Post by stratkiwi »

I picked up a Seymour Duncan Sh-11 custom custom to go in the bridge position of my PS1 Jackson just wondering what Seymour Duncan single coils would work well in the bridge and middle positions with the Sh-11. I was going to try and get a mini humbucker to use as a neck pickup but can't seem to find one so sticking with the single coils.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: Single coils to go with SD Sh-11

Post by willow13 »

duncan quarter pound or dimarzio sds 1.... you're welcome :thumbup:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

willow13 wrote:duncan quarter pound or dimarzio sds 1.... you're welcome :thumbup:
Thanks for that Willow13 much appreciated, I installed the Custom Custom myself today as I could not wait to get it into the shop to have it done and I was lucky enough that the pickup still had the instructions on how to install and it sounds great (I measured the height of the single coils from top of pickup to the high and low E strings so I think I got it right with the adjustment). however I did discover while I had the pick guard off that it has a cavity that has unrestricted space so if I really wanted to I could find another pick guard to fit the Jackson and change the configuration altogether and go H/H or H/S/H if I really wanted to.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

stratkiwi wrote:
willow13 wrote:duncan quarter pound or dimarzio sds 1.... you're welcome :thumbup:
Thanks for that Willow13 much appreciated, I installed the Custom Custom myself today as I could not wait to get it into the shop to have it done and I was lucky enough that the pickup still had the instructions on how to install and it sounds great (I measured the height of the single coils from top of pickup to the high and low E strings so I think I got it right with the adjustment). however I did discover while I had the pick guard off that it has a cavity that has unrestricted space so if I really wanted to I could find another pick guard to fit the Jackson and change the configuration altogether and go H/H or H/S/H if I really wanted to.
if you go H/H then look at either a dimarzo super 2 or a dimarzio breed in the neck position. Duncan 59 is also cool but I am loving the breed for shredding at the mo

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

Here is how the Jackson sounds (the garage will be tidied up once my mother and step father have moved into their new house and got their stuff out lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H9H0eK ... e=youtu.be

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

I have one other question and that is to do with capacitors as I am going to change the original 450k tone and volume pots to 500k audio taper pots, with the capacitors what is the best rating to use for humbuckers is it .47uf or .22uf as I am looking at getting an orange drop capacitor off trade me to add to the tone pot.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

stratkiwi wrote:I have one other question and that is to do with capacitors as I am going to change the original 450k tone and volume pots to 500k audio taper pots, with the capacitors what is the best rating to use for humbuckers is it .47uf or .22uf as I am looking at getting an orange drop capacitor off trade me to add to the tone pot.
I have never used any capacitors on any guitars I haver ever had...don't go down that rabbit hole :rofl:

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

so if I excluded the tone control altogether then what sort of sound would I be expecting I know EVH, YJM and a few other guitarists don't run tone pots but my intention was to have the volume pot as a push pull so I could use the humbuckers in single coil mode as well. As it is the custom custom is rather sharp sounding when you have the tone pot on full tit so I do like to be able to take a bit of the edge off it without messing with my amp settings also the body of this guitar is solid alder which is a bright sounding wood as it is. Have also located on trademe the JB junior, hotrails, hot stack and a lil screamin demon to fit the single coil slot in the neck position to choose from. I have decided that this project will be all seymour duncans and will look at dimarzio pups if I find another old guitar to mess with later down the track.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

stratkiwi wrote:so if I excluded the tone control altogether then what sort of sound would I be expecting I know EVH, YJM and a few other guitarists don't run tone pots but my intention was to have the volume pot as a push pull so I could use the humbuckers in single coil mode as well. As it is the custom custom is rather sharp sounding when you have the tone pot on full tit so I do like to be able to take a bit of the edge off it without messing with my amp settings also the body of this guitar is solid alder which is a bright sounding wood as it is. Have also located on trademe the JB junior, hotrails, hot stack and a lil screamin demon to fit the single coil slot in the neck position to choose from. I have decided that this project will be all seymour duncans and will look at dimarzio pups if I find another old guitar to mess with later down the track.
jb Junior should be great in the neck.

removing tone pots in theory should add a little top end

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

these are the pickup combos I have been thinking of to go with the custom custom, have decided to put a quarter pounder staggered strat RWRP single coil in the middle position
Neck choices are: JB JR (heavily leaning towards), Little 59, lil screamin demon, cool rails, hot rails

I am going to be using a tone pot but will be getting a no load pot for tone control so I have the option of cutting out tone control and capacitor (which will be a 0.47uf orange drop) and volume will be getting a push pull pot so I can have the option to split the humbuckers to single coil. Willow has given me some good advice but I would like to to get a bit of input from other members as well.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

stratkiwi wrote:these are the pickup combos I have been thinking of to go with the custom custom, have decided to put a quarter pounder staggered strat RWRP single coil in the middle position
Neck choices are: JB JR (heavily leaning towards), Little 59, lil screamin demon, cool rails, hot rails

I am going to be using a tone pot but will be getting a no load pot for tone control so I have the option of cutting out tone control and capacitor (which will be a 0.47uf orange drop) and volume will be getting a push pull pot so I can have the option to split the humbuckers to single coil. Willow has given me some good advice but I would like to to get a bit of input from other members as well.
I should mention that the quarter pound is a true single so it will be noisy with high gain....just means you need to play more notes to avoid quiet bits :rofl:

little 59 is awesome (I have one in the neck of my calmsteen strat).

I wouldn't go for a cool rails personally (had one for years in the neck of one of the guitars I made and hated it....way to mid heavy and meh)

I think Danny (airdad) is selling a set of single coil sized tone zones...they would be GREAT with the duncan (and I could buy the bridge one off you :wink: )

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

oops just saw you asked him already and they sold..bugger

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

willow13 wrote:oops just saw you asked him already and they sold..bugger
I said the other word when he said they had already sold :lol:

stratkiwi
Ashton
Ashton

Post by stratkiwi »

How would a Dimarzio HS-3 go in the middle position with a cool rails in the neck (I found one second hand to try) and the Custom Custom, only asking as Rockshop Hamilton has one in stock and with it being GST free week there I thought I might look into reluctantly walking in there to buy it