meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1018 times
Been liked: 2483 times

Re: Gear That Everybody Seems To Love But You Don't

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:32 am
Reg18 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:56 am
GrantB wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 6:41 am

Re EL84 - I hear ya. But, once I got the JMI everything changed. Fat juicy compressed and aggressive. The TC15 is mostly there at more manageable Volumes
Vox type circuits have their quirks. I’ve had quite a few including most recently a Ceriatone DC30 clone. I’m
Yet to find one with the chime I want but also the fullness and tight low end I also like. It seems you sacrifice the former to get the latter. Unless they are very loud
And then it’s a bit different.
Big op trannies, right choice of speaker and tubes all help. I think current smaller Vox amps have focussed too much on that papery chime at the expense of everything else. Old Voxs are different from that…I think they’re responding to what people “think” a Vox should sound like.

Marshall 1974’s are tight sounding and the bass n lead (2061?)
I'm going to be really interested in your take on my AC4.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 862 times
Been liked: 742 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

There is not much I don't like. I think we live in a time of awesome gear. Even the cheaper guitars and FX available now can be great.

I have my prejudices, but they have little to do with tone (and more to do with history). :eh:

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 857 times
Been liked: 276 times

Post by calling card »

Jazz masters.
Funny the compressor hate, I often have it running with the Strat, fattens up the thin.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 8:44 am There is not much I don't like. I think we live in a time of awesome gear. Even the cheaper guitars and FX available now can be great.

I have my prejudices, but they have little to do with tone (and more to do with history). :eh:
My sentiment exactly. I struggle with these types of discussions (like/dislike, love/hate, etc) for this very reason.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1105 times
Been liked: 1422 times

Post by robthemac »

I think it's perfectly reasonable to talk about gear that is generally liked but doesn't float out respective boats. We can do so without saying the gear is "bad".

Tube Screamers don't do it for me. But that's probably because I can rarely get an amp to the edge of breakup.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 755 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by Miza »

robthemac wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:42 am I think it's perfectly reasonable to talk about gear that is generally liked but doesn't float out respective boats. We can do so without saying the gear is "bad".

Tube Screamers don't do it for me. But that's probably because I can rarely get an amp to the edge of breakup.
Agree. The subjectivity is half the fun?

I love tube screamers (into the right amp). Next time you have one, try is purely as a lead boost. Nothing better.
Nothing to see here.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3486 times
Been liked: 1088 times

Post by codedog »

robthemac wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:42 am I think it's perfectly reasonable to talk about gear that is generally liked but doesn't float out respective boats. We can do so without saying the gear is "bad".
Absolutely agree. I'm not saying it's not reasonable to discuss, I just struggle to participate :thumbup:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 638 times
Been liked: 806 times

Post by hamo »

The only problem is with this kind of discussion that someone inevitably says something negative about something you really like, and because people are people, you have to work hard not to feel personally attacked. I'm impressed that 4 pages in nobody's had a hissy fit yet! :lol:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

smallface
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 271 times
Been liked: 221 times

Post by smallface »

foal30 wrote: Sun May 14, 2023 5:58 pm I can’t go Rickenbacker Bass
Not sold on the micro Bass heads or Darkglass pedals
Probably over roundwound strings

Style snob doesn’t like visual lined Fretless
I've had a couple of Ricky 4003s over the years and have struggled with them. Mostly with the binding cutting into my forearm and the bridge pickup surround. Too sharp & edgy. Cut myself quite a few times with that. However I have a 4001 v63 which is a different thing altogether. No sharp edges, contoured body, horseshoe pickup etc.
I loaned it to a friend for this video. My favourite Rickenbacker bass ever! :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y49jqAvCSaE
I climbed on the back of a giant albatross which flew through a crack in the cloud to a place where happiness reigned all year round and music played ever so loudly

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

hamo wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 9:59 am I'm impressed that 4 pages in nobody's had a hissy fit yet! :lol:
That's because we're grownups.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

murky
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 297 times

Post by murky »

Blackface. Yuk.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Suhr make amazing guitars. I've never met one I liked though. They all seem clinical to me. Yet I fall head over heels for pretty much anything Dennis Fano makes.
Go figure. I can't explain it. :roll:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7727 times
Been liked: 4169 times

Post by jeremyb »

murky wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 10:23 amBlackface. Yuk.
Agreed.
Attachments
blackface-story_647_032917081110.jpeg
blackface-story_647_032917081110.jpeg (28.91 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Shimmer reverb boxes
Last edited by clubhouse on Mon May 15, 2023 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

IMOCD
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 481 times
Been liked: 222 times

Post by IMOCD »

Relic'd guitars.